Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Athleng Nordic, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Could anyone recommend books that have good graphics that show some of the take-downs, locks etc. My job sometimes takes me away from my home and a book helps to keep me going. I also learn get additional information from a book that I can then sak questions about. However I can't find any on grappling in Barnes and Noble.

PLMK

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

3. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

One of the best books ive ever purchased has to be Mastering Jujitsu by Renzo Gracie. It's so cheap so i expected it to be smiliar to a small notebook, but when i received it i was amazed to see it was a large A4 book with 233 pages of Gracie Jujitsu goodness :) The depth of the information it covers is excellent, talking about the nature of MMA, moves, tactics, takedowns, the history of jujitsu and how it fits into modern martial arts.

Definatly recommended!

4. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Beat me to it, Yuki! Also, "Inside the Lions Den" by Richard Hanner and Ken Shamrock has decent stuff if you can ignore the self-promotion and half-truths in there. There's also some pretty good stuff rolling around the SFUK forums too

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  5. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Haha! :D I knew there were a few other people around here who are a fan of Mastering Jujitsu :)

I was considering buying Inside the Lions den the the otherday as well! But i didn't have much time to sit down and have a read.

6. Sever

Sever Valued Member

There's some worthwhile stuff in there, but I wouldn't worry about reading the grossly biased and, in places, inaccurate biography, just the training guide

7. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

This Book is Loaded.....

Also Try Ken Shamrocks In Side The Lions Den, This book
    has Been My Guide for MMA.

Gene Lebells Grappling Master,Rigan Machado's Essence of BJJ,
    Shoot Wrestling By Nakimura,Shoot Fighting By Bart Vale

Or any Decent Judo Book.

8. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Half truths and self promotion???????? ...no way! :D

Sever is right about that. Its loaded with a lot of "ken shamrock is superman" stuff. I think its designed to intimidate opponants.

The book is a really worthwhile read and I just cannot stop reading about the training and nutrition aspects of the books because it just really motivates me. Definitly worth buying mate.

9. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Submission Grappling, by Royler Gracie is a great, easy to follow no-gi manual.

10. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

No gi? i might have to give it alook! :) I only really train no gi so it would come in useful :D

11. Athleng Nordic

A lot of books to go find! OH hapy days! I love heading to the book store. Ken Shamrock's name I know of because of Warriors Yoga. Great Stuff, and a hell of a good workout.

12. shootodog

shootodog restless native

you could also search for bas rutten'sbig book of combat vol. 1&2 and mark hatmaker's no holds barred fighting.

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Whats the Bas Ruttens big book of combat like? :D Him and the fight professor are always talking about adding moves to the book after seeing something in pride, and im really quite curious as to what it has in it :)

14. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Yuki, I'm disappointed - as big a Bas fan as you should have it! ;) I love that title though, I bet it's got big bright pictures and stuff. Has anyone got any more Bas stuff?
    I may have to look into that Royler book; my grappling class is going to be doing no-gi soon (which will be nice, I can do without the gi burn)

15. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I have loads of Bas stuff (even his audio tapes which help me with my cardio, sprawling, and combinations) :D hes great!!!! i just dont have his big book of combat :(

16. Sever

Sever Valued Member

With a price like this , I can see why you don't have it! Have any of you read Geoff Thomson's "Real Grappling"? I'm considering getting that

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  17. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Yeah :) I was quite supprised at the price myself...

Geoff Thompson has some excellent stuff as well!

I realise your after book recommendations on MMA / Compitition fighting but in contrast i'd definatly recommend giving Dead or Alive a read, it's got some really good material about street attacks, defending yourself on the street, adrenal rushes etc.

18. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I'll give that a look, thanks for the recommendation :)

19. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

It's an excellent book :p it has interviews with rapist, killers, attackers talking about why they chose their victiems... how the victem underestimated the attacker by letting down their guard.

20. Athleng Nordic

I've looked at the book from Renzo Gracie, is Royler Gracie his son? Great looking book, still trying to find "The Fighters Notebook. :cool: