Freidrich Nietzsche

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by choconutjoe, Sep 17, 2004.

1. choconutjoe

choconutjoe New Member

Friedrich Nietzsche

Anyone here read Nietzsche?
    I've read the antichrist(twice), the gay science, on the genealogy of morals, thus spoke zarathustra and I'm about half-way through beyond good and evil.
    Personally I LOVE the guy. The antichrist is the best objective criticism of christianity I've ever read. Alot of his ideas influence my own ideas about how to live my life, most notably the idea moral nihilism, which fits in well with alot of Taoist thinking. Also the guy is absolutly hillarious, he is just a complete nut. I love the way he'll be half way through discussing some point or other (in his usual arrogant self righteous tone) and then he'll suddenly stop to make a cheap insult at some seemingly unrelated political/philosophical group. Cracks me up everytime.

But anyway I'm keen to hear what everyone else has to say. Do we have any anti-antichrists in the house?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  2. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Anyone here read Nietzsche?

Well I've not read his work but I've been about as it's been banted about. The closest I've got to Neitzche is when my lover asked me to go deep and I said: A man is a rope stretched across an abyss... And she replyed whoa, Whoa WHAO!!! not that deep! Humor is a universal device used by all cultures.

However what do you recommend of his work?

3. choconutjoe

choconutjoe New Member

HAHAHA :D
    Well the first one I read was the antichrist, which I loved. If you are a christian though I wouldn't recommend it. Alot of people say the first one you should read is thus spoke zarathustra, but that's really cryptic and difficult to know what he is talking about (if indeed he is talking about anything). But i rekon you're best off getting one of those 'a short introduction to..' books, that way you can get an idea of what he's all about before you dive head first into one of his long rambling crazy books.

4. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Yeah, I reallt like the guy - I like reading his criticism of Socrates in the birth of tragedy, but I prefer when he wirtes in his aphorism style like in the gay science; saying so much with such few words.

I was told by a philosophy prof that Nietzsche was pessimistic but I dont see it; I find his philosophy uplifting and inspirational.

Kierkegaard is also great- "Life has its on hidden forces that you can only discover by living"- Brilliant.

5. choconutjoe

choconutjoe New Member

Nietzsche wasn't afraid of reality, no matter how harsh or horrible it may seem, which i think some people find depressing.

Can you reccomend where's a good place to start with this Kierkegaard guy?

6. semphoon

Yeah, its just looking at it from a different perspective- eg God doesnt exist and this world is all that exists. There is nothing after this.
    This is just a statement, its the individual that perceives it as either a positive or negative thing.

In the sage words of Jim Morrison..

"I dont know whats gonna happen man, but I want have my kicks before the whole **** house goes up in flames " :D

Kierkegaard and Nietzsche are both existentilists so they talk about a lot of the same thing so you will probably like him. Hes not as agressive as Nietzsche and doesnt have the same sharp humour (but then not many could)

Again, the best place to start to get a flavour of his ideas is "An introduction to....."

*Edit - Heres a cool website http://www.island-of-freedom.com/satire/k-vs-n.htm

Another excellent book is "The outsider" by Albert Camus (another existentilist) where is question of morals is considered. The main character has what would be considered existentilist values and the crux of the story is about how society perceives and punishes him (I cant say anything more without giving a lot a way). Its very readable as well as having a deeper side if thats what you are looking for.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  7. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I'll have to give the antichrist a look-sie. I'm not anti-christ but I am pro-teutonic.

8. choconutjoe

choconutjoe New Member

Hehehe that website is damn cool. Kierkgaard wins though... hmm

9. semphoon

Yeah....

IT WAS A FIX....NIETZSCHE THROUGH THE MATCH!!!

(perhaps Don King was involved)

:D

10. RayRobinson#1

RayRobinson#1 New Member

Its been a long time since I read any of his stuff. All I know he basically believed in questioning all morality. Morality was nothing more than a struggle for power between elitist. Its a philosophy that is appealing for people young and finding themselves. Over time it loses its appeal.

I doubt Nietzche was truly an atheist at heart. He had a horrible life and got lost in his own introspection. I think part of his anti-christian speech had more to do with the misery he experienced in his own personal life. If I remember correctly didn't his last writing make some kind of statement for forgiveness from god?

11. semphoon

I dont know about that but I know that his father (who was a minister) died when Nietzsche was young. Perhaps this was the event that lead Nietzsche to consider existence and God.

Yes, its young and reckless, footlose and adventure seeking.

12. choconutjoe

choconutjoe New Member

Well, yes, I'm a moral nihilist and young and quite probably still finding myself. I am entirely open minded to the idea that I'll one day abandon the idea. Although I will say that Taoism, my main philosophical interest, also seems to doubt the truth of morality. Example:

Tao Te ching, section 5, lines 1-4:
    "The tao doesn't take sides;
    it gives birth to both good and evil.
    The master doesn't take sides;
    she welcomes both saints and sinners."

Tao Te Ching, Section 19, Lines 1-4:
    "Throw away holiness and wisdom,
    and people will be a hundred times happier.
    Throw away morality and justice,
    and people will do the right thing."

(Those were from the Stephen Mitchell translation)
    To me that seems to be moral nihilism and yet Taoism is a very ancient philosophy, one that can hardly be described as for 'young people finding themselves'. Out of interest either of you two used to call yourselves moral nihilists? and if so what made it lose its appeal for you?

If he did I'd very much like to see it. Is it published at all?

13. MrToes

MrToes New Member

Nietzche is interesting. Ultimately he's a lot better at proving that other peoples philosophies are toss than he is at spinning his own. "Beyond Good and Evil" I loved for this reason. "The Geneology (sp) of Morality" is where he is supposed to stop ranting and put down his own opinions and actually I thought it was gibberish. He wrote it shortly before he went proper bonkers which might have something to do with it. When it comes down to it all academic philosophy does my nut in but I definitely have a soft spot for Nietzche.
    :love: :love: :love:

14. choconutjoe

choconutjoe New Member

Haha, so very very true. I'm reading beyond good and evil at the moment. I'm finding it very enjoyable, and full of little nuggets of wisdom.