Inner Peace through Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by lowblows, Sep 16, 2004.

1. lowblows

lowblows Valued Member

Just curious. How many of you know martial artists who are centered, down to earth, nothing fazes them because of their art? The "there's no need to prove anything" personna kind of person.

You can include yourself if you meet this high standard.

Also, what personality type is most common among men in your school(s)? Alpha-male macho guy, strong silent type, nerd looking to get even, other?

2. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

I like to think that I fit into the "inne peace" category, though you'd probably have to ask my acquaintances for an unbiased answer, LOL.

There are lots of personality types at my school, although we pretty much have a lack of "tough guy/ tough gal" types. Most of us are just ordinary people who really like doing MA.

3. Fallacio

Fallacio New Member

I guess that's me. I'm still slowly eking out of the "tough guy" phase.

4. Quiet Cool

Quiet Cool New Member

I think I appear to have inner peace, but that may be because I continually seek after it. Im contemplative, and that is mistaken for peace sometimes.

5. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

echo

Yeah i can relate to this post,i feel more or less the same although Buddhism plays a big part for me as well as MA

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  6. Senga

Senga GenkiGirl

ummmm...i thought that was one of the whole points of MA.

7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Inner peace? I prefer to call it relaxed, chilled & enjoying life :)

8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Do I have inner peace through martial arts? Only if I'm winning! :D

9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

inner peace through martial arts? it happens. doesn't happen all the the time, doesn't happen to everybody. it boils down to the practitioner. if you can be ok with that then you'll be ok with it.

10. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

I cannot say that my art gives me inner peace on its own, let me explain...

Say 5 yrs ago, i would have been a bit of a bad lad, no respect for people, anything dodgy? i would be interested! a bit of a w****r really,

We had a daughter, first changes started to happen, became more responsible, honest, level headed etc got back into training in a big way and settled down, just a regular bloke,

then came the crunch, my mum died, she was an alcoholic (dont worry i am not ashamed, she was a good mum!) and for a yr was in and out of hospital then finally she was so weak she fell over and smashed her skull, took her a week to die, pretty awful time it was!

Fom this point on i made sure that everything i did i put real effort into it, and that she would have been proud of me, i didnt stop there, i opened a club on her next birthday in dedication, i made it a good club, worked hard at it and got a good group of students, then we had another daughter (yes a house full of women) and my wife got post natal depression bad! now we are coming out the other side of it i feel like i have been through a musho shugyo myself, i realised a couple of weeks ago about 3am that i felt fulfilled, couldnt sleep had to get up, i felt elation in a big way but not in an egotistical way.

I had the realisation that my life was exactly in the place i wanted it to be and i had inner peace, of course i still get stressed about work, family etc but not to a degree where it takes over, i feel great, i have a good job, not too much money, lovely family and friends and a great club and thats all i need to fulfill my life, i think its a weird feeling when you get there but i think its a good step on a warriors journey!!

Sorry to go on but just sharing my life!!

Greg

11. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Don't be sorry - It's nice to feel that you can share it. :)

We all find our own way through life, and nobody knows the blockades put in anyone elses way. I'm glad that things have come together, and you have learned that the most horrible things can be beaten (or at least resisted), and positive changes can develop.

Full marks for being so open. I've found a couple of people I can relate to, and they know a lot more about me through PMs. It's good here, isn't it? ;)

Regarding this thread - I have always had the 'inner peace' thing going on, and I am now understanding this better as I learn within MA.

12. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

inspiring

Greg Chapman,brilliant well done.

13. Eddy67

Eddy67 New Member

I think I have inner peace, or close to it. I never freak out. I find I can control my anger as well as my sorrow.

I often observe other people getting so upset over the most stupid things, and I can't help but be amused by this.

14. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

You know when it comes, when i realised mine it was like i knew the meaning of life, why i was here and what i was doing was fulfilling!

15. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

i found so much peace its great! it feels great too

16. Omicron

Omicron is around.

My friends tell me I'm the most level-headed guy they know. I really try to keep my cool as often as possible, and I am pretty good at thinking things through before I go and do something stupid. My martial arts training definitely helps me to remember how important it is to stay that way. If I am not at peace with myself, how can I expect to be at peace with the world around me?

17. Eero

Eero Valued Member

I'm about inner peace myself, allthough I still love to fight and I love to show off.

Inner peace to me means just that. Accepting your good and bad characteristics and tryin to improve. I don't ever want to be enlighted. I just want to be a normal guy and live the normal life.

Most of the MA people I know in person are more like nerds getting even type. I don't know any real macho types.

18. FatalFist

FatalFist New Member

cheezy

it feels kinda cheezy saying stuff like that about myself. Usually i dont talk much, reserved, think a lot about stuff, before i do anything kinda person, so people have just naturally assumed, either ive got inner peace, or discipline. Then when i tell them to not say it, they then say im modest too... :confused:

19. Wesker

Wesker Professional Lurker

I find it difficult to achieve inner peace when my school is pushing me to be more aggressive and intense in my training.

20. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

When you get to inner peace you find that the aggression is more refined only to the point of attack, no need to show your attacker how much built up anger you have until he strikes!