Practical lessons from the movies

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Stuart H, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

What practical advice can we glean from movie fight scenes?

Here is an example - the Burly Brawl in the Matrix Reloaded. From that scene, we can get at least three practical tips for fighting multiple opponents.

1. Only so many Agents can attack you at a time. Don't be down because there's 100 in front of you.

2. Use a weapon to your advantage. Anything that keeps them at long range is best.

3. When you get the chance, ESCAPE!

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

In Enter the Dragon we learn that...

- Multiple attackers will always surround you - then attack one at once.

- It's ok to kick broken bottles out of a guys hand

- Biting the calf is a viable defence against an armbar

3. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

Pulling off your torn shirt makes you invunerable to attack :D

Taking a kicking from a dozen big men doesn't hurt, but having the blood wiped away by a girl makes you cry out in pain :cry:

Neil

4. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

When all else fails hook up your wire and fly/jump out of there. :D

5. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

Drinking rice wine - of the alcohol level to help with smelting fires - will turn you from and average drunken master in THE Drunken Master!

From any jackie chan movie - Everything is a weapon!

6. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

Flipping is a reasonable attack.

7. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

-Use only spining kicks . A roundhouse just won't work.

-Always kick with the tips of the foots fingers.

-If you know AIKIDO plain thugs on the street will have perfect ukemi . They'll just fall perfect on every move you do - just don't get up. (you know who's movies i'm talking about)

-If you are a blond 6, 3'' guy full of muscles with a pony tail and a "German" type of face you who doesn't speak a lot 'll die in the end.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  8. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

If youre wearing a red shirt you are cannon fodder... never visit a strange planet with a red shirt...!!!

It doesnt matter how many times you get hit, kicked, thrown, cut, shot, runover as long as youre the good guy you can get up and win the fight..

9. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

After yoda's post, the replies just went to hell.

The Karate Kid- Waxing an old mans car can teach you how to fight......ok, mines just as stupid.. :eek:

10. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Things I learned from Ong Bak:

- When in doubt, elbow. If elbow fails bring the knee.

- Throwing a person out of a second floor window doesn't necessarily mean they will stop fighting. It's always a good idea to jump after them and knee them on the way down.

- Tribal medicine is enough to heal anything including being worked over with a saw.

- "joint for a joint" idea: If they break a friends elbow, break their knee in revenge (This is an extension of rule 1). Note this is different that the famous "Snoop hand jizoint for jizont thang."

- Motorcycle helmets may be crash tested but are not necessarily elbow tested.

- When in doubt make sure your legs are on fire before you start kicking.

Seriously though, on a more practical side:

- When fighting someone look for patterns. Set them up with the same technique again to see if they stick to their pattern defense. If they do start the same sequence and then switch pattern to take advantage of their adjustment to your rhythm (see the fight with Side Show kicker as a good example of this).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  11. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but in Under Siege 2 the train porter is taught a response to a cross-wrist grab - the same one that I was taught in my first MA lesson.

12. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Train hard for a short while under a good master and you too can be a perfect samurai and speak enough fluent japanese to pull the wife of a guy you killed. :D

13. TyrX

TyrX Unregistered Non-User

lol, good god I wish I was creative.

14. Taeho

Taeho New Member

I don't know about fight lessons, but if I'm ever in a landing party on a strange planet, I'm going to make darn sure that Yomen Johnson goes too. ;)

TKDshane

15. Hapkido

Hapkido New Member

if the enemy has guns they will instaneously drop them, circle you, and attack you one at a time.

16. TigerMantis

TigerMantis New Member

If you shoot a bad guy with your hand gun and that bad guy was firing an uzi at you keep the hand gun as you go by and forget about picking up the uzi, it will just mess with your accuracy.

17. TOMcatXENO

TOMcatXENO New Member

Being called "Young Grasshopper" doesnt really mean your stupid but from the words of Arnold "you Lack Disiplin"

18. Taeho

Taeho New Member

Movie Fight Lessons 101

Movie Fight Lessons 101

1. Throwing an empty gun at an opponent will cause them to duck, while shooting at them will not.

2. Being slapped in the face will cause a nosebleed, but being punched in the face will not.

3. Only well built people will have their shirt ripped to shreads requiring the need to promptly remove them.

4. Do not be worried about being shot. You will not have to deal with the gaping wound until you have defeated every bad guy.

5. Killing a bad guy will require 1 more bullet than you have in your gun.

6. Killing your comedic sidekick will only require 1 bullet from a bad guy.

7. Revenge is not warranted, until they kill the one and only "hot chick" or your faithful canine friend.

8. "Hot chick" will be safe until after your "gratuitous sex scene" (with hotchick, not canine friend).

9. Evil nameless henchmen are easily beaten with one jump spin side kick which misses actually hitting them.

10. Evil bosses are not easily beaten even with 100 jump spin side kicks which actually knock them across the room and into the large vat of green boiling liquid.

Homework:

Practice making celery breaking sounds while sparring or during your workouts. This will ensure proper neck snapage. Oh and don't forget to practice the glassy crosseyed stare and add the exclamation, "Watahhhhhh!!!"

TKDshane Ÿ

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  19. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

don't start a fight with an old guy with ridiculously fake long white eyebrows, he's clearly a grandmaster that's been in hiding for 12 years to escape the green dragon triads.

if possible wear a gold lamé ninja suit complete with jewelled tiara

one of your friends will sell you out, probably the one that's nicest to you all the time

when you have you steak tenderised by the main bad guy and escape, the place you find refuge will probably also have "The grand master of the 7 death eagle claws"

Although your grandmaster will be able to beat everyone in the entire world up at the same time, he won't and he'll send you off to do it instead, probably whilst he smokes a pipe.

you don't really need years of practice, just a couple of minutes being shown how to do it, and then messing about with some rice bowls or something will improve your technique.

you can block swords with your hands

20. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

Don't ever mess with someone nasty, otherwise your master gets it - just before he teaches you how to perform killer death touches.

Then when you defeat the bad guy you suddenly know how to perform the killer touches - God only knows how, by some weird form of osmosis.

You then find out that the evil guy is your dad. ;)