Coming to god!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by oneninja, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneninja

oneninja Valued Member

I have a question for all the christians on this site.How did you come to know the lord,and and at what time in your life did you become a believer.Also what was it like for you to be saved.

2. Twimyo Jirugi

Twimyo Jirugi Me, but not

Sorry, but, by what do you mean saved?

3. oneninja

oneninja Valued Member

What I mean is giving yourself to god and accepting Jesus as you savior in doing so trying to live a godly life and sharing with others your beliefs and convictions.Trusting the Lord with your life and worshipping God the creator giving thanks to God for what you are and what you have.If you have any other questions please ask and I will do my best to answer them.

4. Sanitarium

Sanitarium New Member

What do you get saved from?

5. Twimyo Jirugi

Exactly. I'd say "embraced christianity" not "saved". I do not see where saving comes into it. It is simply devoting more of yourself to your religion and religious beliefs. Saved, could imply that everyone else who doesn't devote themselves to christianity is in "danger" and needs to be "saved", which can be offensive to some people.

6. oneninja

oneninja Valued Member

In my belief we are saved from the evil of a life of sin,we are saved from satans awful rule and from eternal suffering.Of course these are my beliefs and Im not trying force anyone to believe them I only offer to share them with others because I am an evangelical christian.I would like to thank you for not flaming me as others on map have.Again I offer my knowledge of christianity to you and anyone else who is interested.

7. Pai Mei Mrk. II

Pai Mei Mrk. II New Member

Just a question

I was just wondering the official Christian stance on Satan or Lucifer or the Morningstar, whatever you guys call it. I learned the Muslim stance and found it made alot more sense than the conventional belief that it rebelled simply because humans were given free will. In the Muslim religion Satan loved God so much that when God said, "Aside from me, thou shalt also love men above all things" Satan argued that only God was fit to love and was cast down. to me this makes alot more sense.

Also in case you may think so, I am not Muslim, but theist, not A-theist. I believe in a higher power but not the various attachments religions have added on.

"Believe in God, not religion."

8. oneninja

oneninja Valued Member

I learned that because satan wanted to be equal to God and went against Gods will he was cast down.

9. Lefty

Lefty Yummy!

I find it interesting that you use the McFarlaine's Spawn avatar.

I can't help you with your quest here. Each person's quest for higher understanding is his/her own and to me a thing not easily shared.

Glad you've found your god.

10. Pai Mei Mrk. II

Pai Mei Mrk. II New Member

Thank'd

Thanks, just wondering that.

Just a couple more questions:
    I was just wondering how you feel about your holidays being taken from "pagan" religions? I know that early Christianity did it to avoid persecution but just wondering about your thoughts.

How do you feel about the Nicene Council, and it's vote on Jesus' divinity?

Whats your take on other religions? Will their followers go to hell? For that matter is it your belief I will because I choose not to embrace Christianity?

Thanks for the evenhanded anwers, unlike some others I have tried to talk to in your faith.

11. Rojininstructor

Rojininstructor New Member

i cant say much on this subject except read "Holy Blood, Holy Grail." I have had no direct exposure to religion.

12. oneninja

oneninja Valued Member

Coming to God

In answer to your first question.As Ive grown older I find that these holidays you speak of are in fact in some cases distubing.However here is one example, Christmas is supposed to be the celebration of Christs birth but in my opinion has become over comercialized as many others have.Another is easter this is the celebration of Jesus ressurection it has nothing to do with an easter bunny.In answer to your second question.I have not studied other religions in detail,but I believe that each person is given a chance to know God and because we have been given free will,each will make their own choice.As far as going to hell I can not answer that for sure, according to my understanding If you refuse to accept Jesus as your savior you risk eternal damnation.The answer to your question about the niecne council I am not very familiar with this,but it is my belief that God and Jesus are one in the same.I will have to study this further.Also if these holidays are observed for their true meaning then I agree with them if not I do not.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  13. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

In answer to your original question: I came to know the Lord Jesus Christ and have a personal relationship with God through Him in my second year at University, at the U. of Miami, FL. Having a relationship with God has opened my eyes to purpose, meaning, and beauty in my life and in the lives of others. I find hope and purpose even in difficult circumstances. I have friendship with God, as a real person (not just an abstract concept in a dusty book or musty chapel). I have hope for the future, confidence for the present, and the belief that even the past can be redeemed (those things that appear to have been dark and hurtful in my past can still be turned to a good end).

The Background: I knew all the stories, believed in God, went to church, tried to obey the ten commandments, and generally tried to be kind to others, but when it came down to it, I knew that if I were to die, I would go to hell. The more I learned about God and His character, the more I saw myself as distant from Him........my 'goodness', however hard I tried, was no where near God's perfection.

I attended a campus Bible study with a friend, on a whim. Although I had heard lots of stories before, I had never heard what God wanted from me in response. There, for the first time, I heard. All God required of me was a simple heart of trust in what He had already done for me through Jesus Christ on the cross. This was difficult for me to accept: up to that point, my entire life had been based on performance. When I studied, I got A's. If you acted the way people expected, they would accept you. Most people loved, made friends, or pretended to care about others based on what was in it for them. Now I heard that God loved me and cared for me just the way I was, and offered me friendship and a new life, with nothing in it for Him.

Accepting that God loved me and receiving the gift of new life that He offered made a tremendous difference in my life. There is a great sense of peace in knowing that He accepts me, even if no one else does. My identity (who I am as a person) is a lot more than what I do or don't do, or what trophies or medals I win, or what I can/can't accomplish. Knowing that I am loved and accepted unconditionally has made it a lot easier for me to love and accept others, as well.

14. oneninja

oneninja Valued Member

Thank you very much Capt Ann,It is very calming to hear someone so freely speak of our Lord.Your honesty is greatly appreciated and it is very nice to hear from a sister in Christ.I always find it interesting to hear another Christians testamony,thanks again and may the Lord be with you and yours.

15. Twimyo Jirugi

A little question here for you guys. I mean no offense by and I ask it in the greatest respect. And, just to let you now, I'm an atheist, but not a "Jesus Basher".

God is often referred to as your lord. Christians devote part of their lives to God and in servitude of him. The question is; why? Why do you spend part of your life in servitude and worship of another being. Did Jesus not wash the other Apostles' feet?

16. oneninja

oneninja Valued Member

Well,We worship God because he created us and gave us life.We are here because of God and all he asks of us is to worship him and try to live a Godly life.In return he offers us eternal life and an unconditional love.We are his children and he cares for us he is our father.And he did indeed die for our sins though he didnt have to.To suffer the way he did for us is impossible for us to fathom.This is a quick response if you really want more info just pick up a Bible and read its really an amazing book.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  17. Twimyo Jirugi

Yes, but in creating us he granted us free thought. He gave us the ability to make choices. Through choices, don't you think he'd want us to expand more on that, to seek out, to find and decide upon our lives rather than live a life of servitude?

18. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

TJ,

You are asking a very good, very honest question. Thank you.

Yes, I believe God gave us a free will to choose. There is no real 'love' involved in a forced action. For that matter, there isn't any virtue without a free choice. Courage only exists if I choose to do what is right in the face of fear. Integrity only exists when I choose to do what is right in spite of no one noticing (or in spite of not getting 'caught'). Faithfulness, sacrifice, goodness, self-control, etc., are only virtues because I could have done something else.

Because I know God and trust His character, I choose to use the life He gave me in service to Him and to others. After all, life's just not about 'me'.

19. Twimyo Jirugi

Life isn't just about you because you're just one person, right? Well, can't the same thing be applied to God?

Ask an honest question, receive an honest answer^^

20. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Actually, when I said "Life's just not about 'me' ", I didn't have the idea that I'm only one person in mind. After all, lots of people choose to live life as if they really were the center of the universe, and life really was all about them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.