need advice on improving my kicks

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by urbantus, Feb 9, 2003.

1. urbantus

urbantus New Member

Im a 50 year old male in uk
    I am currently a 3rd kup in Tae kwon Do [ITF]

Id really like to improve my kicking.

Can some one give me links or advice on improving style and power of my kicks

I also need advice on building up my leg and other muscles to enable me to improve my kicking

I also need additional advice on improving all my revers kicking

Thx

2. ROBERT

ROBERT New Member

Weight trainig for tkd
    The above link will take you to another thread on this forum that should be able to help you with your strengthening question.

As for improving your kicks, the best advise is to practice alot. As a 3rd kup you should have been taught(not just shown) all of the basic kicks. Try doing each kick 10 times per day. Also pick out one kick per day to do(properly) as many times as you can in one go. Do this for a different kick each day. Make sure you are properly warmed up first.

As for reverse kicks, same thing as above. If you feel that you may not be doing them properly, ask your Instructor to evaluate you. He should be able to help you make corrections better than someone who has not seen you kick.

Good luck in your training, and welcome to the forum.

Robert

3. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi and welcome Urbantus,

there's some great reference material in the Magazine section of this forum;

Kicking Article

4. urbantus

urbantus New Member

thx so far

my instructors are really good

but Id still like to get some info on improving my kicking

the thing im looking for is photos/pictures or even videos of the best way to perform the various kicks

thx again

5. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

6. ROBERT

ROBERT New Member

You can also look here techniques . There are video clips of some different techniques.

Robert

7. Cain

Cain New Member

Hi urbantus,

I had posted some freestyle exercises of you don't have access to weights for your legs -

Long eh? ;)

Overall, remember, whenever you think legs, you have to think squats and do squats :D these are my favourite for legs

For the kicks, I would suggest you to get help from your instructor, since it's difficult to check your form yourself, an instructor can give you much better advice than a video etc etc the list goes on and on

And remember to keep practising :D

Slow kicking and holding will help you some in your kicking form also

Hope I helped,

|Cain|

Happy squatting :D

8. urbantus

urbantus New Member

thx for all help so far

keep it coming if you have any more

I totally agree that my instructor is my main source for guidance

but I also think advice from other sources can help also

btw Im really impressed with this forum

9. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

does anyone knows where i posted last time on kicks training :D
    ;)
    ah man i hav to do my dirty work for me...
    -TkdWarrior-

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

ahha here it is... well for better kicks u need good flexibility fo joints as u r 50 yr old u might need more warmup than others
    i m putting it from some other forums so here we go
    some more advice
    -TkdWarrior-

11. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hmm coming to think of it...
    andy/cooler should make this an article n put it in article section...it's too popular all over the web...
    instead of searching n finding i'll plug this site(oh yea n my name too) :D
    how u think guys?
    -TkdWarrior-

12. Cain

Cain New Member

Well, maybe u hv a chance if u spell all over again :D

[just a j/k dude :D ]

|Cain|

13. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

lol i didn't notice that he's a TKD guy himself n into ITF :D
    cool one more ITF TKD dude ... Yay...

cain by the time i use spell check n start correcting, i'll end up writing that article itself completely :D
    -TkdWarrior-

14. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

TkdWarrior if you e-mail me it as an article I will gladly add it to the articles section :D Maybe add a few photos.

Cooler

15. C.Henry

C.Henry New Member

high repetition kicking drills. Joe Lewis used to do 1500 side kicks per day, per leg. I wasn't nearly as energetic and side kick wasn't my bread and butter, so I did 600 round kicks per day, per leg. You can't do this high repetition focus on more than one technique in a workout. You aren't a kid anymore so don't get carried away and create an injury.
    Lots of stretching and walking. You can't stretch 15 minutes a day and expect to make much progress. The secret for me was to "steal time" for stretching. Watch TV while stretching. Talk on the phone-stretch. Hanging with a friend-stretch.
    And the #1 thing to include in your program is squats. Start out with 2 sets of twenty reps and be careful to control your weight on the way down. When you feel like you can, move up to 3 sets in your weight training. If you aren't sure about what is good form on a squat then get someone to show you. Two days a week on the weights is all you can take if you are practicing your art as well.
    I really believe that the best way to improve is to practice on your own in addition to going to class. The more you work out on your own, the more creative you will get in finding ways to improve your techniques. It doesn't hurt to get a practice partner either.

16. C.Henry

C.Henry New Member

Did I mention practicing on your own? Practice what you want to, the way you want to. Have a good time at it. Get some toys (equipment) to make it more fun.
    Hop to it.