Olympics 2004 opening ceremony, Did you like it?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by alex_000, Aug 14, 2004.

?

Did you like the Olympics 2004 Opening ceremony?

1. It was one of the best i've ever Seen.

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. I liked it very much.

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. It was ok , i expected more tho.

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Boooring...

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Wow that was really bad , Greeks should be ashamed.

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  6. I didn't watch it i was training :D

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  1. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

The title says it all really.

I guess many of you guys watched the opening ceremony of the 2004 Olympics in Athens. Sometimes the ceremony itself plays a very important role in wether the Olympics where done succesfuly.

I want to know if and how much did you liked it? Did it meet your expectations? Did it change your opinion about whether the Olympics are going to be successful or better organized, or about Athens or Greece generally?

I guess you better vote before reading my opinion i don't want to Influence your voting :)

P.S the "boring" selection in the pole, i mean it more like "that specific ceremony was boring" not "I thing all opening ceremonies are boring" (because they are all kind of boring ) but anyway... :). Also if you didn't watch it but intent to watch it in a re-run ,better vote then.

My opinion:

I thought it was OK, I expected a Bit more. The bad direction (for TV off course) was the worst part. The flame stuf sounded quite spectacular from the news , but when i saw it , i felt that something was missing.

On the other hand the fireworks and some choreographies were indeed very spectacular , and all the people flying must have been something to see up close. Those air runners realy new their stuff , so realistic.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2004
  2. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

I forgot to watch, so I couldn't tell ya

3. alex_000

There is a poll now with an option that suits you :D .

4. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I thought "It was ok , i expected more tho."

I did not watch all of it though. I watched enough of it to just miss 20 trillion athletes march past a box full of old codgers - the Olympic Committee I think. :D

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

It'll be on here at like 6-11pm. The exact same time I have work today. :(

PL

7. Franki

Franki New Member

Didn't watch but as I understand DJ Tiesto was playing there, so it couldn't be bad :)

8. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I haven't seen it yet -- still at work. I'll have to watch the repeat showing at 2:00 AM (if I can stay up that late).

9. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I'd just got back from the garage where i was practising on me bag as it was starting up! All i can say is bring back Pancrase! i dont wanna see no-one throwing poles, metal balls, or jumping in sand pits! i wanna see armbars and triangle chokes! hehe :D

10. alex_000

You lucky americans with your garages and the broadbunds... I want a bag in my house too. :cry: You people with bags on your garages have no excuse for not beeing good strikers. :D

There is some stuff that happen once a year at Olympia -the place where the olympics originated. They are doing olymmpics the old way . (they throw heavy javelins and discus, do pancrase and boxing full contact barehanded and stuff). Saw it today at the telly.

Anyway back on topic now.

Yes he played for a lot of time (he played in the athletes' parade and that was for about an aour and 15 min).

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I'm not American :p Im in england lol.

12. johndoch

johndoch upurs

watched it for about 15 minutes, got bored, turned it off.

I hate opening ceremonies, so "LET THE GAMES BEGIN" :D

13. alex_000

sorry lol , the bag in the garage thing sounded American to me :D.

14. Eddy67

Eddy67 New Member

Do they do it nude? Because that's how the anchient greeks used to do it :alien:

15. alex_000

No they wear small boxers like MMA. There are really into it tho i guess they would do it nude if there was no issue of them getting arrested :D.

For the one who voted the "ashamed" part. I would very much like you to elaborate. (Ain't going to debait it or something , I would just like to hear your opinion)

16. Eddy67

Eddy67 New Member

I voted for that option, just to be an ass :D

17. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

I could tell you.....but I'd have to watch it to tell you.....haha......

18. alex_000

LMAO ,shame on you young man :mad: :D .

19. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

well...i liked it...i guess it all turned out well having in mind that many people were wondering whether or not the Greeks would be able to fnish all preps in time. maybe i'm being subjective though because i know some of the competitors there and i was so happy to see them on TV.

all in all, it can't be that exciting when you think about it objectively. it's a lot of competitors walking around the stadium and that's it. it always lasts for hours but it's something that has to be done. on the other side competitors probably enjoy being greeted by so many people but i don't think they find it amusing to stand there for 3 hours. i guess the luckiest nation is the one that comes out last :D :D :D

20. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

I loved the floats with the statue-people. The costumes for that were fantastic, they really looked like statues. To be contradictory, I'd say that the rings were more impressive than the fireworks. I think we had better fireworks, though I can't really remember detail, maybe I should dig out the video from the last ceremony to compare. At least they didn't have a pesky 13-year-old girl singing, the boy in the boat was a much better idea :D (non-Australians probably won't understand that last bit :D )