Martial Arts and the Aging Process

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Oldie, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Oldie

Oldie New Member

We all will get old, whether we are beginners or have achieved several dan grades in martial arts and at a certain point our youth will no longer be there. Arthritis sets in, in addition to other kinds of ailments. Flexibility diminishes. Strength, speed and power all go downhill.

Not a sad state of being, but something to think about.

Granted, some people may say that there are many known martial artists in their senior years who can still beat a 20 something. On the average, we are not those superbly gifted people.

People I know who are 6th dan's, 7th dan's and up hardly compete anymore. They are more settled in their administrative roles, or teach occasionally, or preside over ceremonies, or are retired. All in all, they are not as active as before.

I had earned a brown belt in Judo at age 16. But then I did not have any more martial arts training until 49 yrs of age. Quickly I "majored" in martial arts 5 days a week, in Tae Kwon Do (1st dan), Jeek Kune do (2.5 yrs), Modern Arnis (1st Brown) and Combat Hapkido (1 yr).

An old eye injury forced me to quit combative martial arts training per Doctor's order. The widowed sister-in-law and her four little kids' coming to stay with me and my wife also stopped me from pursuing Combat Hapkido. For the time being, I practice on my own and learn while teaching two students in my backyard twice a week. Gone are the days of actively participating in full contact sparring. Now I am more into the grappling and submission joint locks and takedowns and the very gentle art of persuasion to avoid a physical confrontation.

I know though that the aging process has alerted me to continue to exercise. I still read a lot and often observe martial art classes in action at different schools and clubs. But flying and spinning and jumping kicks? They were only past glories...

... and fond memories.

Oldie :)

2. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Oldie, I'm glad you've found a way to stay involved in martial arts.

I think there's a big difference between a 50 year old martial artist who has been training for 40 years, and a 50 year old beginner. The beginner doesn't have the long history of training and conditioning, and is starting from scratch with an older body, complete with the arthritis, aches, and pains. Maybe that is why there are so few older first-time beginners?

In my case, at least, it becomes important to not compare myself with the other students in my class. I obviously don't compare myself to the 16 year olds, but I also won't compare myself to the older students who have been studying for a long time. They're building on a base that they established a long time ago, and have been adding to ever since. Yeah, there's someone nearly my age who can do a particular type of ukemi, but he comes from a gymnastics background, and has been doing this sort of thing most of his life. I've never done that particular type of breakfall before, and I have to start learning with really bad knees and an overall lack of fitness! ;) To cap it off, the fitness routines that people suggest for me require much younger joints than the ones I have!

In some of what we learn, I have to find my own way of doing a technique, because my joints and muscles (or lack, thereof) simply won't cooperate with doing things the usual way. Fortunately, my martial arts style is very adaptable, and can be personalized. And sometimes, I have to replace strength, flexibility, and speed with sheer attitude.

Thanks for starting this thread, Oldie. I would love to hear more from older first-time beginners, or people who are starting up again after a very long layoff. Is this martial arts thing really possible for me, or am I fighting a losing battle? ;)

3. Daywalker

Daywalker New Member

While I do not think I am as old as either of you (I am 34). I was very active in MA from ages 15-20, and I have only returned after a 12 year hiatus. I remember being a 32 year old white belt at my first test, which was mostly populated by children and teens thinking, "What the heck am I doing here?" To make matters worse, I had discovered after my first few classes, that I had developed arthritis in both side of my hip. Even to this day though I have tried perscription NSAID's and glucosimine, I suffer from a lot of pain with every roundhouse kick I throw. Leave it to me to start TKD with arthritis :rolleyes:

Anyway, I spend a lot of time sparring 18-20 year olds who are faster than I am, and I do get frustrated from time to time. It has made me work a lot harder both in class and in the gym. It has also made me wonder a lot more about what is to come as I approach my 40's and 50's. I don't mind admitting that it will be hard for me as I get older to lose more flexability and stamina. I can combat this through hard work, but it is inevitable that even the best of us decline in ability with age.

I guess I am rambling a bit, but your post, Oldie hit on something I have been dealing with for a while now. Thanks for sharing.

4. Oldie

Oldie New Member

Ms. Tsukasa,

I am quite aware of what your concerns are, about having an old body when starting martial arts. A lot has to do with how the instructors treat you or whether there is an understanding of your limitations, in spite of your efforts. I have had one instructor yelling at me for being unable to execute a technique, to whom I first exercised tolerance, then stopped and questioned his attitude. Jumping higher and kicking higher and faster isn't something my old body could do as well as the teens or the much younger folks in class, and he ought to understand that. Sadly, people who have been training for life, even within the same age range, as you have depicted, sometimes do not have that degree of understanding.

You have a good start and should keep at it. Had I not had my set of circumstances, I would not have had to quit participating actively in martial arts. Worse is that if you don't do anything, you would be like the majority of people, watching TV, be couch potatoes. So what if you cannot kick as high, run as fast, be as flexible, or punch as hard, as someone 20 or more years younger than you? You are in martial arts to learn something, or about your own limitations that you may be able to overcome one of these days. You may even lose a few pounds, or increase your stamina, and you feel good about yourself.

Yes, do not compare yourself with people who have trained all their lives, and do not get too upset at unforgiving and closed-minded instructors. You are studying martial arts for your own good. You are using your time constructively.

Your fellow Oldie

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nice post Oldie. Believe it or no, at age 33, I can relate.

I have a kidney condition and I've been dissuaded from contact sports by my physician. (The websites I've read since have encouraged people with PKD to exercise by walking or... walking vigorously.) :rolleyes:

Like you, I'm starting to gravitate toward grappling. Largely because it's proven its effectiveness. But also because, at 33, I'm not ready to throw in the towel on sparring and wotnot. So grappling offers me an avenue I'll be free to pursue for a good long while yet.

Stuart

6. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I'm pushing 40, or the "over the hill" gang as some would call it. I've been training since I was 14yrs old, granted I've had periods of layoffs. So I do know all about loosing the speed and flexibility. Not to mention all the aches and pains associated to the joints, and lower back. I, like you teach privately to keep up with my skills and abilities. Although they may not be like it was when I was younger, I do know that they are not completely gone. I figure I'll keep going until I can't stand on the training mats any longer :eek: :cool: :)

7. Oldie

Oldie New Member

Dear Daywalker,

Your sentiment about worries of being an older person in a class with teens and 20 something is noted. Those kids and younger people probably won't stay in martial arts very long, i.e., college, girl friends, boy friends, failed romance, and any number of distractions young people tend to have or incur. Since they tend to be fearless, they also get hurt easier.

Being an older person like yourself does have some advantages. Maturity, wisdom, humility, understanding, and determination all are in one package while taking martial arts classes, making you a better martial artist as you progress on your journey. If you continue, by the time you hit 40, you will have had several years of martial arts conditioning and training. Then you look back and probably will wonder why and when all these so-called worries did come about.

The one thing I always remind myself is that my joints are no longer as supple as they used to be. I must therefore not over-extend them in executing any kicks, for example round house kicks, thus avoiding the hip pointer injuries. Likewise, with all the hand strikes, "hitting through the targets" but must retract instead of flinging my arms out completely and hurting my shoulder and elbow joints. Some people criticize the practicality of forms/poomses and I beg to differ in this regard. Part of learning to do the forms properly is to help me NOT to over-extend my joints.

At age 34, you are not yet old. You will make Master Instructor or beyond by the time you reach my age. By then, my only hope is that younger people like you are understanding enough to know why I still want to study martial arts.

Oldie

8. Kinjiro Tsukasa

This is an important point; the instuctor's attitude can really make a difference. Luckily, my sensei is very understanding about physical limitations (and I have both temporary and permanent ones). I'm not so sure about some of my fellow students being understanding (I think most of them are), but it's the instructor's attitude that matters most. In my case, there are a few things I can't even attempt, for physical or medical reasons, and that's the hardest -- having to sit something out, and hoping the rest of the class doesn't just think I'm a slacker. Fortunately the "do not even try this" list is mostly limited to some of the physical conditioning and ukemi, and not to martial arts techniques themselves.

9. Daywalker

Daywalker New Member

Thanks Oldie. I will take your words to heart.

I do train with serveral people who are in their late 50's/early 60's. One of them just made 1st Dan a couple of months ago! It has really changed my perspective on the reasons why I study MA. At first I thought, "What's the use? A 60 year old 1st Dan can barely kick above his ownb waist line..." But then again, I have come to understand that only so much of this is about fighting other people. As I grow older I am certain that the true struggle is against myself.. I may live my entire life without having to face another person in "the street," but each day I wake up I have to face myself. We should all be proud of our accomplishments :)

10. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

Oh come on people, you are definitely not old :) The most important thing is that you don't feel old :) Proof for that is the fact that you are (still) in the world of MA and that you keep on training. Unfortunately, the age plays a role in certain aspects but I guess there are always options, as all of the above posters have already said.

As far as the instructor is concerned, I couldn't agree more. The instructor can't use the same attitude/approach with everyone. Those who train for recreational purposes can't be treated the same as competitors, teenagers can't be treated in the same way as 40, 50 year old practitioners, and people recovering from injuries can't be treated like those without them.

Comparing yourselves to others is not a good idea. Everyone should try to break their own records and try as hard as possible to be the best they can.

11. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

MA ture students

I had earned a brown belt in Judo at age 16. But then I did not have any more martial arts training until 49 yrs of age. Quickly I "majored" in martial arts 5 days a week, in Tae Kwon Do (1st dan), Jeek Kune do (2.5 yrs), Modern Arnis (1st Brown) and Combat Hapkido (1 yr).

Hi oldie what an amazing thread i'm 37 and have a background in boxing and kickboxing but it's been a while to be honest with family commitments ect.
    Before i get to my point am i right in thinking that you had a break from MA
    for 33 years then started training again and achieved 1st dan tkd,you're a bloody inspiration to us all you really are.Anyway my point is that i've wanted to start back in MA again however boxing,kickboxing and being 37 dont really
    work for me so i've been looking around for something more suitable.Judo appeals I've done a little in my younger days but again i'm not sure, it can get a little rough at times,wing tsun appeals very much but my favourite seems to be Aikido.At my age I dont want to take a Martial Art that can quickly make me into a tough nut like MT or bjj i want to choose an MA for the rest of my life and i think Aikido can offer this.A friend of mine is a college lecturer and she sees a lot of mature students come into her Uni looking nervous thinking they've left it to late to get a degree embarresed by all the youngsters around them.But it's the older ones that my friend says are a joy to teach because they are there because they want to be,they've left they're egos at home and have come for all the right reasons.
    Thanks again.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  12. Oldie

Oldie New Member

Although a 30 something like yourself is not old by any means, you may want to consider choosing an art that doesn't require a great deal of stamina/endurance. Probably Tae Kwon Do is NOT suitable, but a number of grappling arts such as Hapkido and variations of it, or Aikido, may be more to your tune. Judo is too vigorous and the falling and all the sweeps and throws may also be too hard for your body. I am not saying you cannot do those things anymore; just that when we get older, we are not as coordinated as when we were younger.

The other extreme is Tai Chi, where there is no contact. You can even practice it on your own.

Oldie

13. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Keep in mind that if you're learning the martial applications of Tai Chi Chuan, and practicing Push Hands, there may be some contact! But perhaps not as much as other styles.

In addition to Tai Chi Chuan, I study Budo Taijutsu, so I have to deal with all of those falls, sweeps, and throws, but I try to make adaptations to what my body can or can't handle. So I try to do the same things as everybody else, but I may need to do them differently.

14. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

Guys, keep at it. I have to tell you guys about a few people at our dojo.

1. Sensei Jim, he started at the age of 57, he got his BB in about 8 years. He was a professional Hockey player in the NHL so he was kinda aaaaahhhhh really tough. Actually it hurts just to hit the guy. He is not just an insparation, he is a genuine bada**.
    2. Annie, she trains in the Chinese side of the school. She has been training in Tai Chi and Chinese weapons for about 10 years now (you should see her doing ring knife forms) she is 78. I wanna be like Annie when I grow up.
    3. Brent, This guy is the coolest. He is a green belt now. He is 67, his wife is 40, he is a lobsterman, yes I said a lobsterman. On the toughness scale he is somewhere between "made of Iorn" and "Run for your freaking life". I have the utmost respect for these folks.

15. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

At 49 almost 50 I still roll with the 20 year olds. I know some day this will have to stop but with the help of over the counter meds if I need them. I hope to keep going as long as I can. I find I must fight smarter both in the standup and on the ground to keep up with the younger ones. It really helps to grow old with the arts so you can adapt your style. If you are starting late in life you can overcome I have a friend that started at 59. He just had to adapt. I believe in never giving it up. It’s much harder then if you just keep at it. The wife does smile and shake her head when I have to set on the bed for a minute when the mornings are cold due to all of the injuries from the years of abuse I have subjected my body to. Look at all the old guys still going Chuck Norris, Bill Wallace and George Foreman. Train smart, Train hard, Never give up.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  16. JWH

JWH New Member

I'm with oldshadow on this one, I'm 48 and still getting stronger and more flexible. I can do a front split now and will be able to do a side split in another six months or so. A couple of years ago I couldn't even touch my toes, now I can put my forehead on my shin. I've lost a little speed but my endurance is still there. You've got to keep fighting it every day, and NEVER quit. How tough you are doesn't go away, I love seeing the looks on the younger guys faces when they give me a good whack to the mid section and I just smile back and say "nice kick". I like this thread OLDIE, but it almost sounds like you have kind of given up. I think you need to keep training as hard as you can forever. As oldshadow stated NEVER GIVE UP!

17. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Hey oldie you're the one that got his dan at 53 (was it?) . Very inspiring to us all.

I'm still quite young (25) - i can see some difference from 18 (mostly injuries) but i'm still ok and very very fit. All i think about the aging thing (i do think about it) is try to have as less injuries as i can so i can't go on comfortably for as long as i can.

And i also see that Hoost was world K1 champion at 38 and i that gives me the hope that i can train for lots of years more without problems if i'm carefull. (and the guy is a pro , he's taken 10 times the beating off all of us together).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2004
  18. fonzerelli_79

fonzerelli_79 Valued Member

the way i look at it - think about what sort of aches and pains when your older if you didnt study martial arts or looked after yourself.

I know guys in the pub who are less fit than my 60 year old neighbour who walks his dog

19. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

aw dont make think about that time... thats not coming for a while and makes me appriciate my age

20. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

yes, many poeple would say that Mr. Perfect is not that young anymore but still he won the K-1 champion title. he actually lost his fight in that tournament, but another fighter got injured and Hoost automatically got a chance again and won. you see, one should never give up.