Do you guys think MT is street applicable?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Armand61685, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Armand61685

Armand61685 New Member

If so how? Also, someone said using kicks in a street fight isn't wise. I think if there is enough space, why not?

2. Uriel

Uriel New Member

Kicks are fine in a street fight, don't kick above the waist & aim for the knee caps. It only takes 40 pound to break a knee cap most guys kick at 210 on average girls kick at 180.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I don't THINK Muay Thai is street applicable - I KNOW Muay Thai is street applicable. I've shin kicked a thigh and seen an opponent go into a seizure and almost pass out. I've knee'd a solar plexus and seen an opponent flailing about on all fours vomitting. I've elbowed a face and broken an opponents jaw, cheekbone, nose and removed 2 teeth in the process.

Muay Thai works.

4. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

take it from me, I did MT when I started, space thing is just crap, u can kick a guy even when he's standing right in front of u.
    don't forget MT is not all about kicks too. they hav good Knees n elbows combinations.
    -TkdWarrior-

5. markyg

markyg MAP Muppet

Yoda, mate.....just wait in the queue at McDonalds until it`s YOUR turn, don`t try to push in front :D

6. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

yoda beat me up to this...
    damn :D
    -TkdWarrior-

7. YODA

Noooooo.... MUST have Big Mac NOW!!!!! :rolleyes:

8. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

if there's enough space, then sure kick away. Kicking mid to low level is faster and more economical. Up close, you'd want to use more brutal weapons - knees, elbows, headbutts, eye gouging and *gasp* BITING if you must.
    Muay Thai, as we see it nowadays, is a ring sport fought one on one with rules and regulations etc etc. Nevertheless, it's still devastatingly effective. But the older style and it's modified street and military counterparts are even more effective.

9. RobP

RobP Valued Member

I would have thought MT kicks were "street useful". They are kept low and work from a reasonably natural stance. And if the guy is in closer the knees and elbows come in. In fact in that situation I'd generally rather use knees and elbows anyway - they can do more damage and are less prone to breakage...

However not sure how MT stacks up against weapons / ground - all depends on the situation I guess.

10. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

There are some who don't recommend kicks in a streetfight and some that do, so let's ignore those for now.

Muay thai's clinchwork is great to have in a street fight. Most people can throw a hard haymaker, but if you clinch with them they can't anymore. ;)

Some people also think clinching is bad (in case there are multiple attackers etc), but I don't. If there are multiple attackers or something, clinching and using one guy as a shield against the rest can help you buy time to escape or something.

I think one of the reasons it's so effective is that it is trained like a sport. Look at boxing, muay thai, kickboxing, wrestling, BJJ, judo, sambo, MMA, etc. They all train like sports, and they produce great fighters quickly because of the difficulty of the training. Yeah you can't use the illegal techniques in sports, but those don't take long to learn.

Teach a boxer to open his hands and poke someone in the eye. Then take some guy off the street and teach him all the 'dirty' techniques you want. If they fought on the street, who would win? My guess would be the boxer because he can take a hit, knows about timing, throwing combos, etc.

11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Sounds more like the Taxi Rank on a Friday Night around these parts. :D

12. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Is Muay Thai street effective?

[​IMG]

Nuff Said. :D

Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  13. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

The other stuff i've seen too but I can't imagine that ...

Not that I don't believe you or anything but I wish i've seen it :) .

14. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Yeah ... Yoda are you fighting epileptics? Did you kick them after they were down?

Yeah, I think Muay Thai is street effective. I think any art that teaches punching and kicking is street effective. As for kicking higher than the waist - I don't see why you wouldn't if your opponent is shorter or if you're in a multiple attacker situation.

15. YODA

<<Shug>> I can't explain it either. Two guys tried to mug me at a cash point (ATM) - I kicked him in the thigh - he fell over - he went VERY pale and started shaking and looked like he was about to pass out - his buddy ran for it - I didn't hang around to give autographs - Exit Yoda, Stage left!

16. texas doc

texas doc Valued Member

yes Muay Thai does work in the street. just think of the mae mai - and you can apply a million variations to them...

17. Uriel

Uriel New Member

Remeber one important thing. MT is good & all, but mix some grappling, ground fighting & a less over balanced stance ( traditional MT leap into a fight to commit themselves) & your unstopable as far as i'm concerned

18. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

Yes that's true but a clinch can also be a bad place if the attacker has a weapon. You don't want to dance around with him only to feel the cold blade of a pocket knife in your stomach or a bullet in your chest. The general idea is to keep moving in a mass attack situation. A fiery resisting attacker will not happily clinch with you. He will throw overhead punches and uppercuts at you if you clinch.

19. RobP

RobP Valued Member

That's very true. And clinching is not always the best thing in a crowd either, unless you want to use the guy as a shield.

But that's a general problem with arts that have become sports-orientated, you have to factor in a lot of other things for the street.

20. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

exactly, it must be modified and streamlined for the street. On top of that, you have the sheer psychological trauma of being attacked to deal with. Some people freeze, some get tunnel vision, some succumb to an adrenaline dump, etc. At that point, nothin can help you.