Farm tools as weapons due to 'real' weapons being outlawed...

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by ShadeS, Jul 27, 2004.

1. ShadeS

ShadeS New Member

I have a two part question. First: Weren't all/most of the current weapons in martial arts developed because 'real' weapons were outlawed? It seems there is a growing trend happening again. Here in the U.S.A. martial arts weapons are being banned left and right. Isn't it time to develop new weapons forms for otherwise 'legal' items? Such as a Cane or some such? Anyone have any idea's for new 'weapons' desiguised as regular every day items?<br><br>

My second question: I recently took up kenpo, I am now a yellow belt (I know I have a long way to go), but I'm having a hard time choosing a weapon. My Sifu teaches the arnis, staff, and broadsword. I was debating with myself to pick one of the following weapons ore more: Staff, Tonfa, Arnis, Meteore Ball, Nunchaku, and the Broadsword. I'd really like the staff, but it wouldn't be something I could carry around with myself comfortably. Does anyone know of any manufactors that sell collaspable staffs (not three section staffs) that extend to full length at the release of a button due to springs inside or a pnumatic device? Also what weapons would be easy to carry around? I know the Arnis, Meteor Ball, Tonfa, and Nunchaku would be good options, but I was mainly looking at those because of concealability. What are your guys and gals experiences with weapons? likes/dislikes? <br><BR>

P.S. If anyone could post any links teaching/showing some basic staff kata or self defense I would really appreciate that! 8 ) Thanks all for your time for reading my post.

2. ebrigham

ebrigham Valued Member

Do what I did - learn 17 ways to kill with a swingline stapler...

3. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Being banned? Where's this? Unaware of this? Maybe East Coast or California??? :confused:

Easy to carry around? Pistols are very portable, provided a good holster and belt. Kubotan is nifty too, but have to get close to threats. Regardless of the weapon, firearm, knife, stick, inter alia, focus on software, not hardware. Weapons do not fight, men do.

Get trained up and allow software to dictate hardware. :)

My experience with weapons? Many years instruction with sticks, knives, swords, spears, bows and firearms (pistol, shotgun, carbine, machine pistol and rifle). If you select your first weapon and not your instructor, I advise the staff, most utilitarian, IME.

4. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

No

Sword, knife, bow, halberd, spear, sai... In fact, pretty much every weapon from the samurai and ninja arts was developed as a weapon. You may be thinking of the weapons from Okinowa, where for a time everyone was banned weapons. I imagine that for most other cultures, a weapon was a weapon and a tool was a tool, and the two wouldn't really be interchangable, at least not to the point that they would actively train in something like spade-fu ;)

5. BH Alexander

BH Alexander New Member

I'm not sure about staffs, however my friend who is currently into Wang tsun has collaspable nunchuku. they fit into the back or front pocket of his jeans and extend and lock to full size. i'm sure you could find those online

6. ShadeS

ShadeS New Member

I scoured google and could not find *one* that was outside of a video game or some fiction book.

7. ShadeS

ShadeS New Member

Here in IL where it's really ****ing conservative, You cannot carry a concealed firearm. Not to mention the gun laws are complete BS as well. It's gotta be disassmbled down to every piece all in locked metal containers at least 50feet away from each other and the ammo has to be a billion miles locked away as well and the keys also have to be at least a certain amount of distance from each other. Lots of good a gun will do if it can't be loaded in the blink of an eye. You outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns. You can't carry nunchaku, katana, etc and everything else here. Especially in Cook County which is the main political figure in the state, and the county I happen to live in.

8. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

And thus empty hand is born. :cool:

9. Akuma

Akuma New Member

A swiss pocket knife would be conceivable weapon!

10. Commander Zigg

Commander Zigg New Member

Aegis: The sai IS an Okinawan weapon. It was originally a farmers tool used for planting.

11. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Are you sure Commander?
    What purpose did the tines on the crossgaurd serve?
    I've seen farmers using a short stick does this mean that that is where escrima came from?
    Chinese or Japanese police used a blunt sword/baton. Almost all the police forces I can think of have something similar. Would this not be a more likely precursor?

12. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

The sai was never a famring tool, if I recall correctly it was always intended to be used for sword disarming. I'm not sure where the story that sai were farming tools came from, but I'm sure the Okinawans weren't so bad at farming that they used a single pointed object with an unecessary couple of attachments for seed planting, or whetever it was supposed to be.

Anyway, I'm fairly convinced that the sai was always a defensive weapon and nothing to do with planting stuff.

13. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Even if you carry some kind of tool, it's still illegal if you use it on somebody.

The police round here arrest you if you're carrying a baseball bat and you're not carrying a ball, but I'm not sure if it's against the law or not. Probably is.

14. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

:( I'm sure there is a thread about this somewhere. Search for Sai in the forum. I think we are flogging a dead horse now LOL

:) touche

15. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Quick response on a few points.

1. Some martial arts weapons were developed from farm implements. However the reason for this was not the myth that traditional weapons were outlawed. It was that metal weapons were too expensive for commoners in Okinawa. The myth comes from a mistranslation of a historical document. The fact is Metal is scarce in Okinawa and the majority of the population were farmers and crafts people who simply couldn't afford luxury items like swords.

Additionally, there's a lot of questions as to what evolved into what. For example, it's now held that Nunchukus (sp) came from horse bridles not rice flails (as they really wouldn't make sense as a function flail). And there is evidence of similar weapons to Sais making their way from India to China and east to Japan. So as Ageis said there is a lot of doubt about sais ever being a planting tool.

On to modern weapon arts. If you're wondering what the best weapons are to carry, try pens and pencils and environmental weapons. Modern application of weapons arts is all about understanding the theory of the weapon and applying it to what you find in an environement. The person I studied Kali from can do as much quick damage with a pen as he can do with a knife. And the pen is a far more innoucous item, which helps his case should he go to court. So look for weapons systems (heck martial arts systems in general) that concentrate on understanding the weapon, not simply teaching techniques.

- Matt

16. Commander Zigg

Commander Zigg New Member

Yah, nevermind. Sorry, but I heard of it being a farmers tool somewhere. Sorry 'bout that.

17. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Back to original post... forget about the weapon. Really. Learn to make the most use of your body first. Once you have started to do that, it doesn't really matter what weapon you use. All a weapon is, is an extension of your body.
    If you have to pick a weapon, go with staff or hanbo. Fairly easy to adapt to any rigid stick like object, including the cane or walking stick.
    I'm with Matt on this one though, pens and pencils and keys and belts. Why carry something like looks like a weapon, that's looking for trouble.

Side note, my understanding that the sai is just another version of the jutte. Used to disarm a swordsman, read somewhere (long time ago, so please don't quote me. Use this as a starting point for research) the the sai adn jutte were used by the law to disarm and subdue rowdy (drunk) samurai, without killing them.

18. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

Bodda *bing*
    Bodda *boom* (scroll to the 2nd and 7th items)

19. ShadeS

ShadeS New Member

Thanks for the foldable nunchaku, which are cool too, but I orginally wanted something for the Staff/Bo.

20. Lobsang

Lobsang Guest

Quote:Originally Posted by weirdalan
    Thanks for the foldable nunchaku, which are cool too, but I orginally wanted something for the Staff/Bo.

I don't think such a thing exists but you can use a 4ft walking stick or jo stick that we train with at Ju Jitsu, the technique is very similar to the 6ft bo stick. And gauging by what the ninga cud do with a 6in long pies off wood a metal pen cud be lethal