Ong bak

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by nunchukpaul, Jul 11, 2004.

1. nunchukpaul

nunchukpaul Banned Banned

First of all i would like to thank whoever it was in another thread for recomanding this film :D :love: *praises to you* i founds it brillaint i was lucky to get it in camden the last one they had :rolleyes: its a copy but apparently its quite rare so it doesnt matter, Has anyone else seen this film if so what were your thoughts on it ;) Cheers
    Paul

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Seen a few clips that looked amazing. I really want the film, but it seems hard to find with English subtitles.

3. nunchukpaul

Hmmm, the english subtitles on this film look like a thirteen year old did it in text but it still easy enough to follow :D

4. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

It must be a dodgy copy - I've been looking for a proper version with english subtitles - from wht I've heard, its not going to be released until 2005. So you were lucky to get a copy...

5. nunchukpaul

The subtitles arent that good but easy enough to understand :D i was pretty lucky as it was the last one they had :Angel: :love:

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

There are apparently various versions of this film. Some of which are much worse than others (in terms of picture quality, subtitles, etc.)

I did some digging and found a recommendation for this site:

http://www.yumyumanime.com/

I bought a copy from them, which I received on Friday evening. Watched it Friday night.

The movie is fantastic. The picture quality was fantastic. The subtitles were perfectly fine. The summary on the back of the box is obviously written by someone who's heard of "English" but doesn't actually know any. But who cares?! You're going to watch the movie anyway.

Ong Bak is really great. I highly encourage people to check it out. It's a new favourite.

Stuart

7. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

Thank you Sir, I just ordered it. Quality price as well...

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No worries. Glad to help. I hope you dig it as much as I did.

Yeah, that website has a few gems I wouldn't mind picking up. And I don't even dig on the anime. But the live action Crying Freeman with Mark Dacascos. I've been looking out for that.

Stuart

9. chupasart

chupasart New Member

a friend o mine gets copies o them, it aint illegal so maybe the mods will remove this, but if not and you interested drop me a mail at patrickclint@hotmail.com and i will get him on the case for you.

chupasart

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So have you had a chance to watch it yet? Thoughts?

11. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Just got a copy from hong kong via e-bay. Subtitles are naff but you can follow the story easy enough.

Some MENTAL moves and agility from Tony Ja and his brave stuntmen colleagues (I genuinley winced when some of those elbows and knees landed). Nice homage to Bruce Lee in the cavern weapons fight near the end too.

Overall - brilliant to see a MA movie with no wires but amazing action.

Recommend it to any MA fan.

Paul

12. Adam

Adam New Member

What was the homage to Bruce Lee? Screw Bruce Lee! Brucie needs to bow down and recognize the sheer AWESOMENESS that is Ong-Bak!
    Ong-Bak! Ong-Bak! Ong-Bak!

13. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Hi adam

Did I read your post right? Are you a fan of Ong Bak or not?;)

Come on now, in Enter The Dragon Bruce Lee fights in a cavern with short staff and twin sticks sections. He makes a line on the ground with his sticks. Ong Bak - Tony Ja fights in cavern with short staff and twin sticks. He makes a line on the ground with his sticks. I say it's a bit of a homage - maybe not to Bruce Lee himself - but certainly to Enter The Dragon.

Anyway - absolutely TOP fight scenes. Tony Ja is a star. Anyone who can do a side splits backwards under a moving truck gets my vote!! Top man!!

Cheers mate
    Ong Bak! Ong Bak! Ong Bak!!

14. englishpremier

englishpremier Valued Member

I just saw this film and it was pretty damn good. My question is how far a representation is it of Traditional Mauy Thai? I've never been overly interested in Thai Boxing (sporting side of mauy thai) but artistic license aside if this movie as a fairly decent representation of the Martial Art of Mauy Thai then i would definatly want to check it out. Compared to the sporting side of mauy thai i have seen in the ring, this looked more like kung fu. Was that some sort of form Ting was doing near the start of the movie?

on a side note, would it be wise to be elbowing people full force left right and centre, in terms of damage to the joint?

15. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

whilst some of it is Moviefied a little. The skills on show are Muay Boran/ Ling Lom etc in their technical base.

The only way to damage your elbow joints whilst throwing them as strikes would be for example throwing a Sok Tong (downward elbow Smash) and not bringing the big Elbow point into play properly.

A common mistake is not having your downward smashing arm come across the Centreline of your body enough-if striking straight down or rotating the arm in enough to avoid landing the technique with the smaller insideelbow bone (the Funny bone) instaed of the Larger Outside Elbow proper.

As for damage to the joints, the Flexed elbow is about the hardest joint/ bone in the body, so the damage is to the adversary and not to yourself.

Of course there are alot of counters to Elbow strikes that can do great damage, but they are not endeavouring to damage the striking tool itself, just catch the momentum of the strike and re-direct it in a way that the body isn't ment to go, but that's another thing all together.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2004
  16. englishpremier

englishpremier Valued Member

thanks for the info. So are these arts, Muay Boran/ Ling Lom still practiced at all, or is it all Mauy Thai and aimed towards the ring nowadays?

17. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Yes they are still practised, but certainly the 'Older' stuff is getting harder to find, under whatever name IE Muay Chaiya, Muay Kad Cherk, Muay Boran, Ling Lom etc.

Muay Boran really to me just represents the whole of the art and not just the Ring Rules side of it. It's true that some aspects of the Older Art are slightly different to the more Modern style, example, some of the Kicking methodology etc, but, it's still Muay Thai.

Ling Lom is an increasingly Rare art. The best way of describing it without going into way too much detail, is to say that Technically it could be described as the art that Muay Thai developed from and Represents Muay Thai and everything Muay Thai left behind on its journey to become a solely Stand Up art, but that would be to do it a disservice, as technically, I feel that it is fair to say, that it is a higher stage of technical achievement than Muay Thai.

These days alot of people will tell you that Ling Lom (meaning Air Monkey) is a slang term and it has become as such, but at one point during the Thai arts development, the art that most people refer to as Muay Thai (the Unarmed portion of the Pahuyuth system) was known as Ling Lom.

Most Muay Thai taught these days is Ring-Orientated, although the Thai Government and bodies such as the IMTF are now making a serious effort to teach the whole of the art, as both a Fighting Art and as a Cultural Representation.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2004
  18. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Flexed joints are very hard to damage.