Ryu Discussion

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by xplasma, Jul 4, 2004.

1. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

This is just an open thread to talk about the Ryu-Ha included in the various Ninjutsu Halls.

The their are two Ryu in particular I prefer. The first is the Koto Ryu, It directness and evasion (sidways walking) agree very much with my fighting style. The second is the Toda Ryu becuase it includes 2 weapons that I like very much, Kasari-Fundo and Shuriken.

Do any of the Ninjutsu practioners out there have rank individual ryu? If not, what Ryu do you see youself studying?

2. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

I enjoy Takagi and kukishin at the minute, kukishin for the bo work whichis most enjoyable.

toda ryu? not heard of that one, which is that?

Greg

3. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

were doing a lot of bo too, up to about nine of the 25 kata(go ho, ura go ho.....)

is that what you's are doing greg ?

they seem simple enough until you examine the movements closely, and it gets bigger.
    good for general taijutsu improvement tho.(if it's bad, you get da whack!)

we don't seem to learn from what ryuha this or that comes from, but i'm only 2 nd kyu, maybe after shodan i'll learn, if it's worthwhile. it all seems to be in a big melting pot now, and forged into 'budo taijutsu'

dazza

4. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Greg,

Toda Ryu specializes in small weapons arts such and Kasari-Fundo (weighted chain with the small rectanglar weights not the cylinder weights) and Shuriken (both Bo and Senban)

5. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

That's the ones, i like the two go ho ones, i do like the furi for the bo though and the basic strikes like ashi barai, we are lucky as Paul breaks the training into schools so as you learn the "bujinkan" you also learn the breakdown of the schools, these ones are from kukishin.

Thanks for that X, wasnt causing any problems, just wanted to kow what it was!!

Greg

6. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

Not so sound too noobish but what do you mean by a Ryu? :)

7. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Ryu simply means school so in the bujinkan you learn Togakure ryu or togakure school etc, simply that.

8. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

ah ok :) thank you

9. George Kohler

George Kohler Valued Member

Who teaches Toda-ryu here in the US?

10. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Sensei Michael Mcgee and Renchi Harry McKenzie of the Bushikai in Maryland

11. Kalifallen

Kalifallen looking for partner

http://www.ninja-training.com/info.html

It's called, International Ninja Training Camp. Part of the Bujinkan Gei-jin Ryu part. Ah, check the site.... Just founded it but it looks okay for as little as I looked at the site.

12. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

ryu in the bujinkan

In the bujinkan, we have been training according to yearly themes (1989-1997 saw a nine-year weapons cycle*, and 1998-2006 was *supposedly* going to be a nine-year ryuha cycle**), however it seems that not all nine ryu of the bujinkan are going to be covered. See the theme lists below for clarification.

I started training in the buj' at the start of the ryu cycle, and have put together the weapon cycle from research online. I'm not sure if I have them all correct - if someone knows better, please correct me.

Also, in my research, I saw that the theme for 1988 was taijutsu in general. Was 1988 the last year of a previous nine-year theme cycle starting in 1980? Or is the yearly themes thing just a recent invention?

*nine-year weapons cycle:
    '89: taijutsu with weapons in general? / hanbo? / kusari?
    '90: hanbo?
    '91: jutte? / ninja sword? / other weapons (shuko, metsubishi, tessen)?
    '92: which weapon?
    '93: rokushakubo
    '94: yari
    '95: naginata
    '96: bokken
    '97: jo / swords

**nine-year ryu cycle:
    '98: shinden fudo
    '99: kukishin
    '00: koto (was originally going to be togakure, but then changed?)
    '01: gyokko
    '02: takagi yoshin
    '03: kumogakure? / juppo sessho
    '04: roppo kuji biken (which ryu? not a ryu focus?)
    '05: long weapons?
    '06: yet unknown

...so anyhoo, in addition to the above questions and observations, my primary inquiry is whether or not the scheme of a nine-year ryu cycle is still in effect or has Hatsumi-soke scrapped that idea in order to explore these other areas?

The only ryuha material I have seen that contains the terms juppo sessho and roppo kuji biken is from kukishinryu. This is interesting because kukishin is the ryu of happo biken, and the nine-year weapons cycle followed a happo biken pattern. Is kukishin the primary ryu of the bujinkan now? Is this part of the effort to shy away from the ninja image - used to be togakureryu ninjutsu was the *it* art, then the name of the bujinkan style changed from ninjutsu to ninpo taijutsu, then to budo taijutsu. I am reminded of a discussion I had with my shidoshi, where we speculated (based on rumors he has heard in discussions with other shidoshi and shihan) that maybe a time is approaching for ninjutsu to once again disappear into the shadows and regain its mystery.

Meh... sorry for the rambling - up late and mind is wandering.

food for thought
    enjoy!

13. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

latest thought:

maybe the end of this nine-year ryu cycle is the beginning of returning the ninja aspects to the forefront.

maybe it's time to return to ninjutsu as the root art of the bujinkan.

14. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

Sshh, you may be right as Hatsumi-sensei is now making a Kumogakure Ryu video. As I understand it, no one was previously introduced to much, if any, information about this Ninjutsu ryuha nor any of Gyokushin Ryu, the third Ninjutsu ryuha. This, of course, raises much speculation about a great many things. Has he introduced the Japanese shihan to the material from these ryuha previously or is it being given fresh to everyone now? If it is new and has not been taught before, does this leave the Bujinkan as the only organization teaching all three Ninjutsu ryu? Also, I previously mentioned Gyokushin Ryu, and while a Kumogakure Ryu video is in the works, information on this Ninjutsu Ryu is still clouded in mystery. I have also read that the taijutsu of Gyokushin and Kumogakure Ryu differ greatly from one another and from the taijutsu that we are all familiar with. If we are just now getting Kumogakure Ryu, how long might we have to wait until Soke feels we are ready for Gyokushin Ryu's teachings? Perhaps we are still somewhat on a yearly training cycle of ryuha that just lingers behind what Soke names as the yearly theme. Either way, I cannot wait to view the Kumogakure Ryu video when it is completed. If what I have read elsewhere is correct, it should be very interesting comparing it to something like Koto Ryu or Gyokko Ryu.

15. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

I think you will find that this and Robert Law now have bugger all to do with the bujinkan, ninja camp? what next?

16. Kalifallen

Kalifallen looking for partner

Huh? You lost me near the end. "have bugger all to do with the bujinkan, ninja camp?" What?

I guess you don't like the site. I looked at it better and, well, eh. The Tai Kai's look better.

What next? Oh, you probably don't want that question answered.

17. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Sorry Kal,

I was just informing you that geijin ryu and the bujinkan have bugger all to do with each other as you previously stated.

Regards

Greg

18. Neil-o-Mac

Neil-o-Mac The Rev

Well, the guy running it calls himself a Grandmaster, and I doubt it's Hatsumi under heavy prosthetics and a pseudonym. :D

19. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

maybe if i get a photo of myself with Hatsumi i too could become a grandmaster!!

20. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

well i have already got one, its a bit dark because he wouldn't allow a flash,lol

i now hope you, my students, have a new found respect for me now :D

i will now retire for some kuji, meditation and other soke stuff.

dazza sensie :eek: :D