martial arts movies

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by =control freak=, Jul 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. =control freak=

=control freak= Valued Member

I haven't seen very many martial arts movies apart from lees ones. Which are some of the better ones(as in gritty and realistic fight scenes rather than people floating through the air and ridiculous acrobatics)?

2. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

meh its hard to not find movie fu. i wish they just made realistic kungfu movies because everyone i know thinks its cheesy and looks at me like "and you like doing this?" lol.

i would say the only martial art movies i have liked lately are classic samurai and modern samurai movies because of their view of samurai life, styles, and sometimes accuracy.

my fav this year even though i loved last samurai, is "twighlight samurai" its a sad and humble story about what samurai probably lived through on a majority scale, not the upperclass versions we often see.

3. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

My personal favourite is "Fist Of Legend" by Jet Li. Love that film :D

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

True, the classics always seem to be far more grittier with less reliance on special effects .. but as jroe posted there are some good recent ma movies to be seen. (also "Once Upon a Time in China")

Alot of good movies coming out of the Hong Kong New Wave of moviemakers.

There are some movies out there that were done quite well but unfortunately because they didn't WOW the average moviegoer, find themselves gathering dust on video store shelves such as "The Perfect Weapon" (which features the ma of Kenpo and very realistic fight scences)

5. KONI

KONI New Member

If you like to watch a good movie with "normal" action scene (not the flying through the air), then I recommend "Ong Bak": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368909/

Absolutely amazing Thai Boxing Movie.

6. johndoch

johndoch upurs

You should try and see "Babycart at the River Styx" its part of series of samurai movies called "Lone Wolf and Cub" It starred Tomisaburo Wakayama who also made the Zaitiochi series about a blind samurai, which was the inspiration for Rutger Hauers movie Blind Fury.

7. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

umm police story with Jackie Chan... but might come under stupid acrobatics.. but still it's a good film and fights are good :)

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Okay, I'm tired of hearing about Ong Bak without having seen it. I'm the king of B martial arts movies. It's high time I saw this thing.

So I've just ordered it. Three days from now, it will be mine. Oh yes. IT WILL BE MINE.

9. =control freak=

has anyone seen the newer ''zatoichi'' film that just came out to buy? It sounds quite good.

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Havent seen that one yet, really should as I'm a big beat takeshi fan.
    Dont like the 'flying' style? thats cool, each to their own.

films to watch - kiss of dragon, fist of legend, ong bak, in the line of duty, jackie chan flicks (project a 1 and 2, police story, armour of god aka eastern condors, meals on wheels). Best of the Best.

films you would be missing out on - storm riders (hong kong version), once upon a time in china 1,2,3. Crouching Tiger (more for story really). The Returner.

cant think of more unless i look at my oversized collection

11. Topher

Topher allo!

I wonder how New Police Story will compare to the others in the series?

And has anyone seen Internal Affairs? Not a MA film, but still Hong Kong made. It’s about a police mole in the triads and a triad mole in the police. Each side unknowingly assigns each mole to discover who the mole is. Sounds interesting.

12. =control freak=

yeah i saw it, i thought all that floating just brought the movie down really! I don't dislike fantasy, but I do like realism. If theres a decent balance then it's ok.

13. nunchukpaul

nunchukpaul Banned Banned

Where can u get a copy of ong bak in england i cant find ne were that sells it, and get u get subtitled versions :confused:

14. Krazy5051

Krazy5051 Valued Member

Ichi The Killer anyone?

Yours in martial arts,

Kid.

15. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Excellent movie! If you are really into your japanese horror. I mean dude, how was the title introduced into the movie?
    A korean movie called Volcano High is really good, basically Storm Riders in High School.

16. S.Mac

S.Mac New Member

If you're looking for realistic martial arts movies, both Ong Bak and The Perfect Weapon are excellent. Especially Ong Bak. That should be required viewing for everyone in the world. All 6+ billion people should see Ong Bak at least once.

17. =control freak=

I can't find it either, and also don't speak Thai.

18. TM77

TM77 Valued Member

If you want to see a classic from the 70s, check out Thundering Mantis. The dialog can be a bit corny but the final fight scene alone is worth the money. Probably the most insane fight scene I've ever seen!

19. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

anyone notice that in old movies, when they stop talking, their mouths keep moving? ah, the beauty of the 70's. :cool:

20. Chris_sirhC

Chris_sirhC 6th Kyu, Yoshinkan Aikido

I am probably one of the few who enjoy watching Segal movies. Yes I know he has got to be one of the worst actors every... and I am biases being a student of Aikido. But even so he veered away from the flashy unrealistic kick/punch type stuff we were used to seeing and at the time brought in something completely different.

His acting was horrible but his martial arts are legit. Something not many hollywood martial arts actors can boast.

Otherwise I love Jet Li. The guy is just fast. Classic Bruce Lee movies... Some Jackie Chan movies but more so just for the laugh. A lot of wire work in both cases for sure but fun to watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.