Tomiki competition

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by kevamania, Jun 29, 2004.

1. kevamania

kevamania Valued Member

:confused: I was just wondering what training exactly is involved for a tomiki competition.I practice aikikai and wado ryu karate,so Im well familiar with aikido techniques and sparring etc.
    Anyone know of any tomiki competitions in uk,IRELAND,or even europe.
    Any info about this style would be appreciated.

2. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

you really need to speak to tintin mate he teaches tomiki in Edinburgh but im sure he can help ya

3. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

Well competition itself is quite rare, whereas training for it is quite common :)

The first part is timing. The anatomy of an attack gives us a few timing points to avoid and blend with. An awful lot of training is put into avoiding and blending like this.

Gradually it is built up so that applications are added on, but not at the expense of losing any posture or blending...just a little nudge here or a reversal there...just to start the transformation.

Unlike other forms of aiki, the Tomiki attackers will frequently disguise attacks, try to trick you or make you lose composure, double or triple up attacks just ot find an opening. Personally I like cutting off an opponents spacial options before attacking :)

In many cases this 'chaos' in Tomiki training makes it look bad in comparison to other schools of aiki where the attacks and defences are usually pre-ordained to such a high level that it becomes symmetrical movement.

4. kevamania

kevamania Valued Member

Thanks lads really appreciate it.Must get chating to tintin.
    If ye dont mind could you tell me a list of some combos attackers use(is it with fists r must it be tanto always) and techniques or drills to practice for defending attacks,there are a couple of aikidoka i train with that would do extra trainin like this with me and there is a tomiki club 2.5 hrs drive away,i could go there every 2-4 weeks also.
    Basically,do you do locks like nikkyo and/or throws like irimenage(what works in competition) and what is the story with attacker taking ukemi in competition do they co operate or resist etc?
    I kno myself what is practical and what isnt but unsure about tomiki competition.
    Sorry for such a flurry of ?s if there is anything i can help ya out with just ask(Im also a fitness instructor and doing wado ryu karate for a couple of months)

5. mickthecat

mickthecat New Member

i practice aiki jujutsu, just recently we have been watching and training for ufc, (cage fighting).
    we practice with submission kumite.
    we leave out the atemi for now, as in all the bouts we have seen it ends up on the floor after the ubiquitous blows have been exchanged.
    we are just beginning to enter this strange world of competition as aiki jujutsu is far too dangerous to use for competition.
    the argument goes that as soon as you compete in sport it has to be so watered down that it is no longer aiki jujutsu.
    that is all very well and good, but since watching and training my respect for the fighters has gone up.
    the fitness levels required are off the scale, and as i have been a serious practicioner of aiki jujutsu for 18 years i realise the leap you have to make to go to "real" fighting

6. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

But isn't the ufc stuff not real fighting per say? From what i've seen of the ufc it does look like a very tough contact sport. But from my experience a real fight seldom lasts very long and almost never goes to rolling around on the floor trying to put some arm or leg lock submission hold on.