kwan differences/similarites

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by d33pthought, Jun 16, 2004.

1. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

I noticed KickChick does Chung Do Kwan TKD (if I remember rightly), and since I do Moo Duk Kwan, that got me wondering...is there any real difference between the different Kwans? Do they each do something differently? or do a different something altogether?

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Although most of the kwans are/were similar in many ways, there are/were small differences. "Kwans" being schools of TKD. Most did merge but there were a few who did not. The Kukkiwan in Seoul, Korea displayed 6 kwan symbols as the original kwans to emerge after WWII, and 3 sub groups. So altogether there were 9 original kwans:

(1) Song-Moo-Kwan, was formed after World War Two, and founded by Grand Master Byung Jick Ro. Grand Master Ro studied Soobak and Tae Kyon, in Korea as a youth. During the Japanese occupation he earned a black belt in Shotokan Karate. After the war he returned to Korea and combined the fighting styles of shotokan (powerful hand techniques) and Tae Kyon (flowing kicks) and called it Song Moo Kwan. Song Moo Kwan stands for Pine Tree School.

(2) Han-Moo-Kwan, was a sub kwan of Ji Do Kwan. Han Moo Kwan was said to dominate the tournaments through the use of the roundhouse kick. The roundhouse kick is still the dominant kick today in modern Olympic Taekwondo tournaments.

(3) Chang-Moo-Kwan, was founded the following year after Yun Moo Kwan (in 1946) and was the fifth original kwan. Chang Moo Kwan was originally called the YMCA Kwon Bup. Chang Moo Kwan was founded by Grandmaster Yoon Byung In. Grandmaster Yoon studied Shotokan Karate. The trade mark technique in Chan Moo Kwan was the full roundhouse kick (without retract).

(4) Moo-Duk-Kwan, was founded by Grandmaster Hwang Kee later in 1945 also in Seoul. Moo Duk Kwan stands for "a brotherhood and school of stopping inner and outer conflict and developing virtue according to the way of the worthy hand." Some have shortened this to "Art of the knife hand." Moo Duk Kwan's signature technique was the roundhouse kick. The style used was originally called Hwa Soo Do. But later Grandmaster Kee decided to incorporate Tang Soo Do into the Hwa Soo Do. Now Moo Duk Kwan calls their art Soo Bak Do. It is said that Ji Do Kwan/Moo Duk Kwan became the largest of the kwans in Korea during the late 1950's. In fact, Grandmaster Hwang Kee estimated that in 1960, these two kwans constituted 70 per cent of the Taekwondo/Tang Soo Do/ Kong Soo Do/Tae Soo Do population. Modern Tang Soo Do is heavily indebted to Grandmaster Kee.

(5) O-Do-Kwan, wasfounded by General Choi and stands for "Gym of My Way". Oh Do Kwan opened between 1953-54 during the Korean War. Oh Do Kwan was considered a sub kwan of the Chung Do Kwan. Oh Do Kwan was mostly known for its side and jumping side kick, possibly influenced by Chung Do Kwan.

(6) Kang-Du-Kwan, ( Kang Duk Won) was a sub-kwan of the Chang Moo Kwan

(7) Jung-Do-kwan, was a sub-kwan of the Chung Do Kwan.

(8) Ji-Do-Kwan, was founded by Grandmaster Chun who disappeared during the Korean War. Yun Moo Kwan also opened in Seoul later in 1945 after Chung Do Kwan. The name was converted to Ji Do Kwan between 1953-54 after the Korean War. The name Yun Moo Kwan came from a judo school. The style was originally called Kong Soo Do. Grandmaster Chun learned Han Moo Kwan (Korean martial arts) Karate while living in Japan. The Yun Moo Kwan/Ji Do Kwan emblem is a figure eight inside a curly design. The signature technique was a front kick punch and other sources say the Ji Do Kwan signature was the roundhouse. Ji Do Kwan practitioners were also known for their emphasis in sparring possibly due to the fact that the original Ji Do Kwan in Seoul was right next to a boxing gym.

(9) Chung-Do-Kwan was founded by Grandmaster Won Kuk Lee, this was the first school in Korea and was opened in 1945 in Yong Chun, Seoul. The style was called Tang Soo Do (Okinawan discipline of Karate). Their trademark technique was the sidekick and the jumping sidekick. Later, in the 1960's the back sidekick and jumping back sidekick were also signature techniques.

3. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

wow..well, I guess that answers that. It's curious that so many of the kwans have the same (though probably different in execution) signature move. Anyway, thanks for the history lesson, KC :D

4. cjw314

cjw314 New Member

I think perhaps KickChick has researched this before. . . :D

Good info, though; I'd been wondering the same myself.

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

.... ya think ??? ;)

No prob guys, I think that's what I'm here for :confused:

6. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Think this is relevant to the thread. The man in the circle is Jidokwan founder Chung, Sang Sup. The man in the square I believe is his successor after his disapperance in North Korea Lee, Chong Woo.

Sorry for the size, and Master Yang, could you do a translation for what is written on the picture. Have always been curious about that.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2004
  7. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

I would watch yourself....you put a photo with a language other than English.

Tsk tsk.

Actually, the two bits are somewhat contradictory....so I will modify the left, as Korean is changing, just as English, so the meanings may have changed.

Well, the words to the left (창관 및 총회) means Grand Opening/First Opening nowadays, but probably meant Open House (of the gym) (및 총회) means 'and seminar/forum' (for discussion).

Bottom right:
    Choseon Training Martial Art Centre, the date, the person circled was the first master of the gym, while the one squared off was the present master.

The Chinese characters in the actual photo are just the name of the gym.

Auf,

DH

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2004
  8. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

If you are going to offer your knowledgeable insights as to what the translation of Korean, please your expertise in this is most warranted.... but that is not to say that we will allow posts solely typed in Korean here on the forum.

There is really no need for the sarcasm ... it is best to be respectful to everyone concerned... thank you!

BTW .... I have edited the very large pic for you Artikon :)

9. soo han

soo han New Member

My mom said the letters on the left side means meeting of the first members but she could be wrong

10. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Our original grandmaster was from O-Do-Kwan and that is the main reason why we study the ITF style forms. However, since our grandmaster chose to remain on the good side of the South Korean authorities, he also incorporated the Pal-gye and Taegeuk forms into his school. When he moved to the states, he really downplayed the old "kwan" affiliation. When he retired and his son took over, his son began focusing more on the sport side as well as the business operations outside of our rural area. We split off to join the Independent Taekwondo Association (under GM Pelligrini, GM InSun Seo, and others). We still practice all of the forms and in the way we were taught and we also get our ranking through the Kukkiwon (and the ITA).

The reason I mention this is because I think it really shows how politics and goals can dictate the changes in kwans of Taekwondo... without really creating too much difference.

11. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

Hmm, you know, I really don't think so...but then again, language is maleable.

Oh, I ㅣove the statement (죽을래), it's popular on pop TV... but it'd be funnier if you put a question mark after it.

Cheers,

DH

Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  12. Artikon

Thanks KC for making the pic just a bit more manageable.

Thomas I agree with how politics can alter where a school is going. Recently we became a member of the Chang moo kwan, mainly because our other Kwan basically didn't do anything for us benificial, no saying that in a derogative way either.

About a month after we joined, Grandmaster Kim Soon Bae payed our province a visit to do a poomse seminar, small coincidence as we were not the only school invited but still, very interesting, great workout, and GM Kim is in quite remarkable shape for a man his age.

13. shalomdokwan87

shalomdokwan87 Valued Member

i always thought kwan ment school

14. Artikon

Yes you are under the right assumption that kwan is school.

15. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

so did all these kwans practice the same forms or did it vary and if so what are they called?

16. Artikon

Its my understanding that many of the original kwans, more than likely had different forms, as some of them studied different things. However nowadays I believe the probably a little bit more unified in that aspect, however application and execution probably differs from school to school.

17. paulol

paulol Valued Member

My feelings is that the Kwans were messed with so much by the government after the war that they were all made to look pretty much the same. But the Chung Do Kwan and Moo Duk Kwan seem to have kept the core martial art as opposed to the sport infection in the main stream styles.

(Not to cause any offence. That just my opinion! :Angel: )