Sparring

Discussion in 'Judo' started by LeeGreg89, Jun 3, 2004.

1. LeeGreg89

LeeGreg89 Valued Member

In Judo Sparring how is it that you hold the person

You hold his sleve with one hand and the other his collar or am i wrong

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Are you actually taking Judo lessons, or book learning again?

This is a fundemental of Judo throws, I would have thought this would be one of the first things you get shown in class.

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

You just hold on with your preferred grip. However, deciding what your preferred grip actually is takes time, and of course enough skill to maintain it while your opponent tries to get his grip. And throw you. All in all, not something easily described over the internet.

The standard grip for a lot of people is to hold the sleeve with one hand and the opposite lapel with the other. This is very basic, but still effective, allowing you to hold off your opponent while trying to find an opening. Most experienced Judoka have probably got their own favourate though, like one hand on the head, or one hand on the sleeve the other loose, or gripping in the armpit (very painful if done right) etc...

Almost everyone in Judo will have their own preferred grip, but basic techniques are usually taught from the simple grip I described above.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Maybe.

5. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Theres loads of grips + plus some which are illegal in judo. Just depends on the situation when you use them.

6. Freeform

Plus, we don't call it sparring, it's called 'Randori', which means 'free practice' or 'free play'.

7. LeeGreg89

LeeGreg89 Valued Member

yes this is what im talking about you hold his sleve with one hand and his collar with the other your thumb in and fingers out

8. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

Was going to say that...

My left hand holds onto their right sleeve, my right hand to their left collar... thats the basic one, i always grab the sleeve first i think alows more freedom and movement and you can quite easily go in for a ippon seionage :D though it can be painstakingly obvious at times....

9. Freeform

Try doing it to the other side then but with the same grip, not technically an Ippon Seoi, but trust me ;)

10. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I think it is technically still an Ippon Seoi Nage, just not the version that appears in the Gokyo. I'd agree though, very powerful technique, and especially effective with a left handed grip ;)

11. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

bah! sounds good, but i have shoddy grips, i need to improve my grips (and my forearm muscle) as it painful holding someone above you, going to buy one of those 'things' you squeeze together in yer palms...

12. bruce_s_hood

bruce_s_hood New Member

What you want to strengthen your grip is a powerball, I have had one of these for ages now and believe me, only after a couple of minutes of using it you’ll notice how hard it works your grip :eek: . Fighting films sells one called Judo Gyrociser or google for Powerball Gyroscope, but shop about as the price ranges from £5-25 (all depends on if you want a wee computer thingy to tell you how fast you went, which can be fun!)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  13. bruce_s_hood

bruce_s_hood New Member

I like having a right handed grip but do a left handed turn in for ogoshi or Harai-Goshi if you have your right grip high on the collar.