Shuri-ryu, opinions good or bad

Discussion in 'Karate' started by DAT, May 12, 2004.

1. DAT

DAT Valued Member

I visited a dojo here in the ATL (Atlanta, Georgia USA) area that teaches Shuri-ryu (alongside Shintoyoshin-ryu Jiu-jitsu). The head sensei seems nice enough and has some good martial family ties. I'm considering the dojo mostly for the Jiu-jitsu but I don't mind doing the Karate alongside. Although much of my background is in Chinese arts, I did study Okinawa-Te for a couple of years back in my HS days.

I've researched the art/style and understand the basics. I detect quite a bit of Hsing-I influence. Could I impose upon the forum members to give me some of their insight into the Shuri system as it compares to some of the original systems in Okinawan Karate such as Goju, Shorin, Uechi and Isshin. Specifically what I'm looking for is an overview of the core concepts...kihon, kata, bunkai, stances, philosophy, martial application, etc. Feel free to offer any negative comments as well. I was also wondering whether other schools around the globe pair Shuri-ryu with Shintoyoshin Jiu-Jitsu. There are several schools in the U.S. Southeast that do so. Someone up the food chain apparently thought they blend well together and the rest as they say...

Thanks in advance.

http://www.tmacenter.com/

2. frankiefuller

frankiefuller New Member

Yoshin Ryu Jiu Jitsu and Shuri Ryu school

Hi, I know of this school that combines Shuri Ryu and Shinto Yoshin Ryu Jiu-Jitsu. They are pretty good. I ran into the guys that run this place at a seminar last Dec. in Alpharetta. The seminar was so effective that I actually now train at Satori in Roswell, another school that combines the two arts. I will tell you that Shuri Ryu is quite effective. Just to let you know, I've been doing martial arts for 18 years in mostly modern TKD styles with fluid techniques. I got to 4th dan in the Korean art that I did, and I actually quit my school just to train at the Shuri Ryu school. I think the two arts blend well because I take classes in both. There are so many positive aspects of this that I felt weren't being addressed at my old school; the Shuri Ryu-Jiu-Jitsu school I train at now is run by an old teacher of mine that I last trained with almost 15 years ago. We all used to be under the same system. He switched from Korean to Japanese and Okinawan arts since he left my old school. I ran into him again at the seminar and was blown away by what I had missed all these years. Before that I had really never encountered Shuri Ryu or that style of Jiu Jitsu; I immediately became a convert.