Aiuchi Jiu Jitsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by OBCT, Apr 23, 2004.

1. OBCT

OBCT New Member

Anyone train in it ?
    Going at start of next week and know nothing about it, except what SOKKLAB has told me so far.

I know its fairly a modern style, but i don't know if they favour striking, throws, locks, groundwork or weapons predominantely i.e
    Is it more striking with less groundwork or more throws and locks, favouring initial strikes ? or what ?

If any one does train in then I would appreciate a rough outline, if not it doesn't matter I'll find out anyway when i go, just that half their website doesn't work http://www.aiuchi.org/ obviously not jedi then, oh well

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Aiuchi are an offshoot of the style of jujutsu I do, and it's good stuff. Lots of throwing and locking, some striking. Lots of weapons defences, good falling. Not that much groundwork, mostly what's required to defend yourself against someone kicking you while you're on the ground or enough to stand back up if someone is trying to hold you there.

While it's probably not exactly the same as what I do, I think it's a good style and you should be pleased with it.

3. OBCT

OBCT New Member

Thank you, I've asked lots of people, and all i wanted was a fairly simple yet concise answer like that.

4. OBCT

OBCT New Member

Oh, and what is your style of JJ called ?

5. Aegis

6. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

Hi OBTC do you train in this now??

If so do you know a Sensei Will Mcdonald if so say Dave says Hi as he used to be one of my old students YEARS ago I say him about a year ago just after he got his 1st Dan very good Instructor

7. OBCT

OBCT New Member

no, i went once and enjoyed it, but with being a student and working nights, without a set rota, its difficult to get to. having real trouble with this at the minute. aikido is 3 nights a week, at a push i could go to 1 night, but it would be on and off.
    trying to persuade to set aside 1 night of the week i don't have to work on, ever. so i can stick at something.

8. Jutte

Jutte New Member

Aiuchi is a good, friendly not for profit, non-ego driven organisation. The style involves a lot of throwing, 50 odd different throws, plus arm, wrist, leg and neck locks. Lots of defenses against weapons (knife, broken bottle, baseball bat, chain etc). Not much atemi and not much emphasis on ground work. No sparing at all, other than occasional judo style groundwork.

There is a kind of aiki aspect to execution of tecniques, with more emphasis on using the opponents momentum (than in some styles of JJ). Its a good style if you want to learn good solid throwing, locking, ukemi etc, probably not so good if you want brutal no-nonsense streetfighting skills.

9. OBCT

OBCT New Member

looked more like judo (50%) mixed with aikido (40%) plus a few nasty bits and a tiny touch of karate (10%) in there.
    I only saw them try knife work, with wooden knives, but i can see that weapons would feature heavily.

10. Aegis

They're like us, they practice against attacks by knife, cosh, bottle, broken bottle, chain, bokken, baseball bat and gun (though gun defences are of course fairly dubious at best). Pretty much anything else is treated the same as one of the other weapons and may appear at any time depending on the instructor's mood ;)

11. Jutte

Jutte New Member

Well both judo and aikido are derived from jujutsu, so it should resemble them.

12. Aegis

If I recall correctly the art in question (Shorinji kan jujutsu) was developed from Kodokan Judo (before it became almost entirely a sport), Shorinji Kempo and has some influence from aikijutsu. I don't know how much of each is there, but I suspect that most of it comes from the first two rather than the aikijutsu stuff.

13. Jutte

Jutte New Member

It is probably derived somewhat from pre-war judo. The oldest living root of this style held dan grades in several MAs (e.g. aikido, karate etc) but taught judo and jiujitsu. The shorinji kempo link is a bit of a red herring and probably had little or no influence on the style.

14. Aegis

Why does everyone immediately dismiss the shorinji kempo thing as a red herring? All the shorinji kempo students who have heard about this have gone up in arms about it not being true, as though their art has always been top secret and not for the uninitiated... It's in our style's history as having been taught to Miura, along with Judo and (possibly a little) aikijutsu before he taught Matthew Komp, who taught Brian Graham who introduced the art to the UK and still teaches today. 2 generations back isn't a great deal of time to lose information as important as the names of the parent arts of our style, so I'm inclined to believe what I hear for now.

Still, I'm always open to new sources, and if someone can give me a good reason to believe that there is no way shorinji kempo could have made it into this system, I'd be more than happy to listen.

As I've mentioned above, I believe the oldest living root of this art had training in judo and aiki/ju-jutsu in addition to however much training he had in shorinji kempo. At the time the style was created I don't think karate had even made much of an appearence outside Okinawa (perhaps shotokan, but we have nothing even remotely resembling what I've seen of that in our system). A lot of our locks are quite similar to those found in either aikido or shorinji kempo, so I guess either would be possible. However, as I stated earlier, I'll continue to accept the history of my art as taught until I have reason to think otherwise.

Cheers for the interest though :D

15. Jutte

Jutte New Member

The person in question is the German born, now Australian, Matt Komp (8th dan Jiu Jitsu, 6th dan Judo, 4th dan Karate + others). Contrary to what appears on many websites, he didn't learn jiu jitsu as a soldier in Japan. He learn't it in Germany. Miura wasn't his instructor. Komp has himself said that he never learnt shorinji kempo, nor did his instructors.

The shorinji kempo confusin comes down to a story that Matt Komp tells, in which he gave a demonstration of his jiu jitsu in Japan and the Japanese told him they thought it looked like shorinji kempo.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2004
  16. Aegis

Ahh, makes a bit more sense now. Where did you find that information? And who did Komp learn his jujutsu from?

17. shinbushi

shinbushi Reaver

My only problem with them is the name. Aiuchi mean mutual strike. Like a killing each other at the same time or like a double KO. I would rather learn a style where I alone win rather than a tie. ;-)

18. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Yes, as an Iai-Jutsu term it means Mutual Death or Killing. I found that quite amusing, although apparently it also means 'Chicken Fried Rice twice and hold the soy sauce please'...

19. Jutte

Jutte New Member

Also, 'inner harmony'.

20. Tripitaka of AA

Tripitaka of AA Valued Member

So should we expect the various websites will change their references to Shorinji Kempo as a root? One would hope so. Not because Shorinji Kenshi think "their art has always been top secret and not for the uninitiated", but simply to remove another misleading tale that has almost become fact. Don't you agree that Martial Arts history already has more than it's share of myths and legends that bear no relation to the truth?

It is quite flattering to think that people would want to claim a link to Shorinji Kempo. A compliment one might say. But it is also a "backhanded" compliment in that it implies that the "best bits" were retained and unnecessary aspects rejected, thereby offering an improved product. As there was no influence, the improvements don't exist.

It may also work to attract students away from the Shorinji Kempo clubs that do exist, under the false belief that they will be getting "the next best thing".

Having said all that... the Art that is the topic of this thread is in all probability excellent stuff and well-loved by the students and instructors alike. Any efforts to detail its history were no doubt made with the best intentions by dedicated people. People who would be unhappy to have their work marred by a falsehood, however tiny it might appear to be. :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004