Toshindo Ninjitsu

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Jordan, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

I was thinking about joining Ninjitsu, there is this dojo where I live called Toshindo Ninjitsu. I was wondering if you guys and gals can tell me more about this style.

2. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

In short, Toshindo is not truly Ninjutsu. It is a style created by Stephen K. Hayes, who is touted as the "Father of American Ninjutsu." For years he has studied Ninjutsu as taught in the Bujinkan, but since broke off and formed his own style, which is the Toshindo system. He claims himself that he does not teach Ninjutsu except to his advanced students, whom I believe he is still able to grade in Ninjutsu aside from their Toshindo ranking. Many sources say that Mr. Hayes no longer travels to Japan to train with Hatsumi-sensei, but then, other sources say that he does. Take it for what it's worth.

On a side note, where are you located, Jordan? We can help you to find out all the options you have for training in Ninjutsu. Just provide your current location and how far you are able to travel for training and the other members here, along with myself, can surely assist you. Good luck in your endeavor!

3. Vanir

Vanir lost my sidhe

Just to addenda, if I could, Mr Hayes does hold a rank as Shidoeshi (teacher of the warrior ways of enlightenment), concordant with all 9 traditions taught by Hatsumi soke, the first non-Japanese to do so and achieved 1980 or thereabouts. It was he whom formed the Bujinkan dojos which brought Togakure's tradition to the Western world.
    I've also noticed his face popping up in independant survivalist training, working with ex-police officers and Sherrif's dealing with 'real world' general applications in dealing with potential (and encounterable) danger.

Japanese Ryu are an interesting study. One century a particular family may be paupers, although (criminally) capable in the martial arts. The next, an established noble tradition.
    I understand Hatsumi soke now has knighthoods or their equivalent.
    The nine Ryu of which he is head of comprise 4 ninja, 3 samurai, a koppojutsu and a koshijutsu tradition.

Personally I find Mr Hayes own tradition an interesting thought. I'd be curious to find out more.

4. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Mr Hayes did not form the Bujinkan. That was Hatsumi Soke's baby. Mr Hayes formed the Shadows of Iga Ninja Society (of which I was a member from 1982 to 1988 or there abouts, I have all my member cards still packed away). Also, hype aside, I don't think he was the first non-japanese to achieve shidoshi. First American, yes. But, I think Doron Navon became shidoshi before him.
    Don't get me wrong, I respect Mr Hayes immensely, it was at his 2nd Annual Ninja Festival that Ihad the honor and pleaseure of meeting him, Bud, Jack, Larry and Hatsumi (plus a whloe lot more folks, too numerous to list)

5. Crazymonk

Crazymonk Banned Banned

Kurohana, what is your background on ninjitsu? I know you've been involved in martial arts for 20 years.

6. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

I started Tang So Do, when I was about 15 or 15. I was tired of a step-father who kept beating me. I moved in with my father when I was 16 and started Tae Kwon Do. My father's instructor was Jhoon Rhee. My father was my instructor. Right before I turned 19, I joined the Air Force. After basic training, I was stationed at Dyess AFB, in Abilene Tx. While there I studied whatever anyone was willing to each: TKD, boxing, judo, aikido, White Crane, Pa Kua, Shotokan, Isshinryu (sp?), Hapkido, Kuk Sool Won. My instructor in these arts ranged from 1st dan to 4th dan and Golden Gloves winner (boxing) and a Pan Amercan Gold Medalist in judo. While there, I discovered Mr. Hayes' books and joined the Shadows of Iga. I attended the 2nd Annual Ninja Festival, 1982, and met Hatsumi Soke there. That was his first visit to the USA. For last 22 years, I have traveled the globe (while in the Air Force and while working for Lockheed Martin) training with who ever would train with me. While in Turkey it was primarily Stan Skrabut ( I believe he now holds a 7th dan) and for awhile, the Turkish Grand Champion of TKD (that was over 20 years ago, so I forget his name). In Arkansas, I studied Aikido again and continued my training in Ninjutsu. In Germany, I hooked back up with Stan and his brother in law, Sven Eric for a short time. In Saudi Arabia, it was only me doing Ninjutsu, so I studied Jujutsu and arnis from some of the Filipinos I worked with. I also taught a self defense course to the flight attendants from Evergreen (along with one of their engineer's who owns a few Judo Dojos in Florida). I also took up Aikido again while in Saudi. Ninjutsu has been my primary art and first love since I began, but I have supplemented that training with Aikido. Just recently I left Maryland where I was training under Chris Davey, Judan, in the Bujinkan and who awarded me my Shodan. Yes, it has taken a long time, but that was never my real goal.

7. K_Coffin

K_Coffin New Member

Wow. Pretty intense background there Kurohana. I know your intent was never to impress, but consider me impressed. Do you travel to any workshops throughout North America throughout the year?

8. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

No, I didn't intend to impress anyone. Just wanted to make clear I'm no newbie to the Martial Arts or Ninjutsu. Workshops/seminars. When I can afford them. The last one I went to was the 2003 Tai Kai in New Jersey. Now that I have a job that pays real money, I hope to make it to more.

9. Crazymonk

Crazymonk Banned Banned

Wow that is amazing. I makes me question myself on why I am interested in Martial Arts.

I always took things too literal. "If you are good at martial arts, you can kick butt". I'm a very physical guy, and to me there is nothing sweeter than beating the heck out of someone who belittles me. My hot blooded mind can get very messy. I am young so I can be very amateur.

I want to go to Japan with my sensei, (he graduated from Tokyo University), and meet other martial artists there. One of his students said that he was greeted by many martial artists when he went there by himself.(he got in trouble for not having all the martial artists sign some agricultural flag)

The bigger picture to me is, I want to be all I can be.

10. K_Coffin

K_Coffin New Member

Consider the statement made Kurohana. I've just started with Bujinkan myself, but it's drawn me in tightly. I'm hoping to go to workshops as soon as possible, but on a student's budget, it's tough. Hopefully I'll see you at a Tai Kai some day.