Favorite non-edged weapon is___. Why?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Nevada_MO_Guy, Apr 3, 2004.

?

Your favorite non_edged weapon is ____.

1. Shinai / Baton / Tonfa / Jutte

9.2%
  2. Escrima Stick

18.3%
  3. Nunchaku

13.8%
  4. Sais

9.2%
  5. Staff / Bo / Jo

34.9%
  6. Manrikigusari

1.8%
  7. Cane

7.3%
  8. Kubaton / Kuboton / Hestitan

3.7%
  9. Big Rock

9.2%
  10. Other

12.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Hello All,

What is your favorite non-edged weapon and why?

What do you think its strengths and weaknesses are?

My school starts with the Hestitan (key chain) as the first weapon taught.

The strengths would be easy access and the ability to apply alot of pressure to a small part of the body.
    The weakness would be that you have to be really close to your opponent to use.

2. Omicron

Omicron is around.

My favorite weapon is my brain and common sense. Any fight avoided is a fight won, if you ask me.

3. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

Your brain is a non-edged weapon?

:D

I voted for tonfa, because it is the most versatile of weapons that I have trained with.

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

A mini-gun.

PL

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

A nice big tank. With luxury interior and stereo. Chill while you kill.

Or maybe kali sticks.

6. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I'm going with cane because I have spent more time working with it than most of the other weapons, some of those I have barely even touched. The other thing about the cane is that it is legal to carry around and...this is the best part of all....

If you are carrying one with you, they will let you get on a plane before all the other passengers board.

7. blaksun

blaksun Banned Banned

I like sticks.

8. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

my knuckles....no, but a chinese quarter staff is awesome. i love the movements...so much work leading up to one sharp crack.

9. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Of course it is! To be considered edged a weapon has to be sharp, and I assure you I don't have a sharp mind :)

10. Nevada_MO_Guy

Is the quarter staff like the wing chun dragon pole?

It kind of sounds like maybe a JO (short BO), but the jo isn't flexible enough to make a crack sound.

11. Nevada_MO_Guy

Hey Blessed_samurai,

I've been seeing more on the cane in the magazines lately, do you think it is something that is trying to catch on.

I like the idea of having something that doesn't look that theatening with me.
    The cane or JO (walking stick) looks like it would work well for that.

I go to Mexico / Costa Rica and some areas are a little ruff. Your right the cane would make it through airport security without a problem. :)

12. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

i chose other because i favour using my body as a weapon ie for kicks, punches, etc and nunchaku for when a little bit more speed and flexibility is required

13. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

i saw it at a martial arts show in okinawa. i'm pretty sure it was a dragon pole, but one end was thicker than the other. could've been a jo. but there was a definite crack.

14. shootodog

shootodog restless native

kali sticks/ bastons.

fists, elbows, knees, and feet seem to work nicely too!

15. ranger

ranger New Member

escrima stick/baston becoz thats what i practice.:) MA of our country also. :)

by the way, i like the jutte too. i thought its an edge weapon?

16. Nevada_MO_Guy

Hello Ranger,

I think you could be right in that the jutte has a small blade, or hook, on it.

Here is a copy of a web page on the jutte that I found.

"A single hook or fork, called a kagi, on the side near the handle allowed the jutte to be used for trapping or even breaking the blades of edged weapons, as well as for jabbing or striking. The kagi could also be used to entangle the clothes or fingers of an opponent. Thus, feudal Japanese police used the jutte to disarm and arrest suspects without serious bloodshed. Eventually, the jutte also came to be considered a symbol of official status.

Checkout this web page. It looks like an interesting weapon.

http://www.geocities.com/remipulwer/Budo/Jutte/jutte.html

17. valetudo74

valetudo74 Master of Ching Ching POW

I voted for a cane, primarily because there are no current laws enacted in the U.S. that consider the cane a lethal weapon. If used in a self defense situation however, you'd better be able to explain that circumstances were of such a nature that it was necessary to your survival to use the cane for protection.

Having trained in Kali, my second weapon of choice would be a Kali stick, which i have tucked beside my carseat. Living in CA, you have to deal with road rage, and never know what might happen.

In close range, there are hard metal karambit trainers which do not have a blade attached to them. However, you can use the karambit in such a manner that you can trap an attacking limb with it, destroy the limb with a strike from the karambit, etc.

18. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Yeah, I noticed that too. For me, in Hapkido, we spend a lot of time on the walking stick and cane. I think the public is realizing the need for an "equalizer" that the law will not screw with. The cane does not look threatening, it's very very old, so there's a lot of tradition with it. The other thing is the simplicity of the cane. It takes a minor amount of time to be able to use it easily to defend yourself, not to mention, you can really do some neat stuff with it without using strength.

19. blackbelt_judoj

blackbelt_judoj New Member

As I do judo, my favourite has to be the MAT. I get so much joy just bouncing people off the floor it's unreal.

20. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

I woulda' voted Chucks, but you just can't argue with "a big rock." :D