Street Tricks

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Yama Tombo, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

If someone gave you advice on how to survive a mugging, to you seems stupid, would you try it out?

I read an article about a system some guy developed called "S.T.O.P" Each letter in S.T.O.P is a step or concept which I've forgetten......:D

All I remember is the man talking about if someone pulls a gun on you, your first move is...?

....To play along with the thug: do not show that you're scared or show your intent to attack the person, on the flip side you should use deception.

Example:

You're walking along and some guy jumps from behind a wall with a gun in hand.

He says,"Give me your wallet!" So, you act afraid, and pull out your wallet. He comes in close enough for you, and you attack, or you throw the wallet in his face, then attack.

What do you guys think of the system? Got to run.

2. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

FAKE and FLEE

I think it is too dangerous. Throwing your wallet in his face is the first step to GETTING SHOT, not kicking a muggers' but. However, with a minor modification, STOP can be usefull. Just be sure to pack an empty wallet `nd then follow then follow the steps unto the part where you give in to the thugs' demands.

Be sure to run as hell when he finds out the wallet is empty (or attack him while he is stille staring at the FAKE wallet ^_^).

3. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

lol c'mon, thats gunna get you killed?

Act affraid? lol i'd be dam scared if i had some random dude pointing a gun at me... if he wants my wallet, he can have my dam wallet!!! it's not worth my life lol.

I remember over the late nights of christmas when i was walking home, i'd empty my wallet (cards, big notes, keys etc) into my sock or pocket, then put my now emptied wallet into my pocket so if i were to get attacked then i wouldnt have lost much.

4. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

That's also a creative solution. I always warn my mother NOT to put all of her valuable items in the same friggin' purse. It would be an easy target. But ofcourse she doesn't listen to me. Maybe I should pretend to be a criminal and rob her *ss to teach her al lesson or two. But then I would have to kiss my allowance goodby, I'm affraid :)

5. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

I learned that if a guy is pointing a gun at you from like 10-15 feet away, and you're in a wide open space like a parking lot, you should run. Run while he's talking to you. Most people can't talk and fire a gun at the same time. And when you run, run on a 45-90 degree angle away from him. Cops (my dad's a cop, that's how I know) say that only 10% of bullets actually hit a moving target in a vital area. When you're running try to find cover.

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Yeah, and after a few shots, people will probably call the cops and the mugger will know it, so he'll run.

It would be cool to take down a mugger with a gun, but WAY to risky, and not worth trying for any Earthly possesions IMO.

PL

7. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

and when someone saves the day and calls the police on you. or beats you up

8. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

Sit Down
    Take off your pants
    Open your legs
    Please don't fight back, enjoy it.

Rape prevention techniques?

9. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

You're 20 and you get allowance? ****ing bum! I have to get a job! =/

PL

10. Kris H

Kris H New Member

This is true, but not at 10-15 feet. That is very short range, even for a hand gun. Generally if your running and zig zagging and you have about 20m between you and someone with a hand gun you are fairly safe....kinda. 10-15 feet equates to a maximum of about 4m, significantly less than 20m.

Always remember though, a lucky bullet will kill you just as well as an aimed bullet.

I personally would give them my wallet if they were at that distance.

11. Tireces

Tireces New Member

My first move is to draw my gun faster and shoot him! I've got quick and the dead 1337 drawing skills, baby!

12. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Hand gun accuracy becomes pants after about 10m and next to useless after 20m (even for professionals, of course the lucky (or unlucky) bullet theory still applies.

Col

13. Unforgiven

Unforgiven New Member

as a martial artist you soundnet be worried about this, unless your not a very confident one... muggers look for pray because the consider themselfs to be a predator, if your true to yourself and your martial arts then you aswell should be a predator.. " not the alien kind" ... they wont see you as a week person therefore they will leave you alone, and really i meen wtf are you doing in a place were there are criminals and muggers.. if worst comes to worst tho give him ur wallet remeber his face and go looking for him the next day "with your steak kinfe" if he really got you mad cut him from balls to throat... "cough cough" :woo:

14. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

15. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

Hey, I have a pretty face and inresistable puppy dog eyes! (That alone will make a thug think twice before he tries to shoot me) :D

By the way, I agree with all who are saying that life risking actions are not a good option. Let's just hope the safer options show themselves to be effective.

16. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

second time?.....

17. snake_vs_crane

snake_vs_crane Valued Member

I disagree with most 'street self defence' concepts for two reasons, 1. That they encourage you to do anything other than comply, which puts your life in significant danger, is it really worth it? and 2. If it did come down to a last resort situation i would be using one of the most basic techs i know that i have drilled and used again and again, i dont think you can theorise your way out of a situation like this, whats counts is speed and power, and that means staying with the basics IMO.

18. blaksun

blaksun Banned Banned

Simple mugging prevention technique:
    Don't hang out in dark alleys.

V.V

19. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

Blaksun: You don't have to be in a dark alley could be an empty parking lot or while walking to your house from work, school, or someone else's house.

snake_vs_crane: I understand, but think about it. Inexperienced muggers will be nervous and might want you to quickly hand over the item you have as fast as possible, so they may leave. On the otherhand, if they're nervous and the slightest sound makes them jump and they might shoot without thought. Some cases muggers have been known to shoot the victim for no apparent reason, after receiving the item they want from you.

I found the article:

You can find it @ http://www.victorioushands.com/vcontent.asp?ID=8 look for the magazine BLACK BELT that is 535k to download it is a PDF file it contains the article about STOP read for yourself.

20. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

I say, you have a 50/50% chance of getting killed either way you look at it. So in a situation like that, it's hard to know what moves to make. But if you're going to take action, then do so quickly less you will get killed......

anyway, whose to say that the mugger isn't as just as afraid as you are or more because his gun is empty but he's making it appear to you as it isn't so he can get what he wants:D