First stripe on white belt, chuffed!

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by SteveP, Dec 18, 2015.

1. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

Well about 6/7 months ago I was trying to convince myself to try my first BJJ class and overcome the 'first class anxieties'. A week ago today I received my first stripe on my white belt!

I've not exactly been mega consistent with training due to work but I do go most weeks and have been training gi and no-gi. I'm loving it and it's really helping with day-to-day confidence and beating my anxiety, it's great. So last Friday's class was a 2hr workshop with the instructor and an end-of-year promotion. I wanted to go along for the workshop as I knew I wouldn't be getting any sort of promotion but then when we all lined up at the end of class and the instructor called my name I was so chuffed!

I really don't feel like I've progressed much but then when I think back to my first class I know that I would completely school my old self. It's just hard when every one else improves at the same, or faster, rates and you don't feel like you are getting anywhere.

Anyway I just thought that I'd post this up and hopefully if there is anyone else out there with the first class nerves, they read this and see that it is possible to get your backside into class and make some sort of progress.

Do it, you won't regret it. BJJ is fantastic.

Xue Sheng and Dead_pool like this.
  2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Congrats man!

3. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

Thanks man. I know it's early days but it's a milestone for me and one that I wasn't sure I'd make.

4. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Great to hear! It's a great feeling. It's good to know you're on the right track.

5. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Congratulations! Keep on keeping. It gets better.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Don't diminish it man, you earned it every time you went to class. Any other art that would be a whole belt. It's what it means to you that makes it special.

Big congratulations, I'm very impressed that you've really made improvements in your bjj, but far more impressed with your improvements in social anxiety :)

7. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Well done!

8. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

Thanks man. It is hard and I question every class before I go but momentum and inertia are in play and it's always worthwhile pushing through it. It's amazing what a difference going to these classes is having in my day-to-day life.

9. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

“It’s very very rare that someone becomes more unhappy by the study of brazilian jiu jitsu."
    John Danaher

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Well done! Sounds like a great thing to achieve. First step along the road and all that!

11. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

John seems to speak a lot of sense!

12. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Well done Steve! Great progress :)

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Good work!

14. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

Thanks!

15. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

good work, keep going.

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Just to echo all of this.

Don't diminish it; just because you can now do it doesn't mean others can, and we can always find examples to make ourselves feel worse. Fact is, you went out and earned it, congratulations!

That you did all that against a background of anxiety problems is just brilliant.
    You are an example to us all, kudos to you, now onwards and upwards!

Mitch

17. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Congratulations! :)

18. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Good work, bud! On your way to your blue. Enjoy the ride!

19. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Congrats!

(That word - chuffed- always throws me. Never heard it used over here. And it sounds like a word that means ticked off to me. So, I always think someone is mad at first when I see that word. Then I google it and remember.)

20. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

Haha! Yep I mean't it as in I'm really happy about it.