Shaolin Temple Corruption

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by aaradia, Aug 10, 2015.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

47MM this story is for you. :p

I can't say I am completely surprised. I wonder how this will shake out. If facts will back up this story or not. If these allegations are true, will further investigation prove that others were involved? Will it affect the popularity of the current temples? Will it hurt the myth and legend that is Shaolin?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/06/w...cused-of-swindling-and-philandering.html?_r=1

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The only surprise is that people are surprised.

3. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

In Matthew Polly's book "American Shaolin", the cover had a monk carrying a McDonald's bag. It was regular for most of the Shaolin "monks" to smoke, drink, have girlfriends, eat meat (they were suppose to be veggie) etc...

Like Sifu Ben said, why anyone is surprised is beyond me.

4. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

What is sad is Wudang is following close behind and the PRC is trying to do the same exact thing at Chenjiaguo

5. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Sorry to be annoying brother but it was in fact Burger King.

[​IMG]

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I want that book...

7. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Like a man in orthopaedic shoes, I stand corrected! :)

8. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

It's a great read, very informative about the modern Shaolin temple and the performing monks. The author trained with them for a few years and has some very funny stories.

9. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Thanks...This is something I've been knowing for awhile.

Which is why I stand by my statement "there are no authentic Shaolin Monks out there"

Yeah, like he beat one of the monks there :rolleyes:

10. The Iron Fist

I think this depends on whether we consider "authentic" to have ended with the last destruction of the temple (let us just assume around the early Ching era). By that definition yes every "authentic" Shaolin monk in now deceased, and every modern monk is a (pun intended :) ) reincarnation of "the Shaolin Monk". From a cultural heritage point of view I think it's valuable for the same reason Colonial Williamsburg, Renaissance fairs, Civil War re-enactments and so forth are so popular and interesting.

Shaolin Temple today is a version of that ("it's not free..."), but no doubt the grounds themselves are quite hallowed, from a Chan Buddhist perspective, no matter what "shows" are ongoing on the grounds. It's a major pilgrimage site for all the right reasons and wrong ones as well. :(

To be "authentic" Shaolin I think would require these things. I don't think it is impossible for someone to qualify under these, and there may even be certain monks at Shaolin today who do meet these qualifications, but verifying it is another matter altogether.

#1 the Chan vows for monkhood (this happens all over, I think I read somewhere the current Temple even offers this as a service?)
    #2 some provable lineage of transmission of Chan (probably at least half a dozen generations) at least as far back to the early Ching dynasty (this part is REALLY hard to prove with documentation, in fact it's arguable some of the Family styles have an easier time of doing so).
    #3 An ongoing commitment to Chan/Shaolin principles.

Now even if the current Abbot meets the first two requirements, he appears to have violated the third, making him quite "unauthentic" regardless of lineage or vows.

Also it appears there is some growing dissent from the monk community itself on Shaolin's over-commercialization. Read this if you have a moment: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-monks-are-losing-their-religion-2353184.html

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  11. 47MartialMan

Well, I am pleased you broke it down into those criteria.

This would have been a good post in the Shaolin Bandwagon thread

Therefore. No authentic Shaolin Monks

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  12. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Power corrupts, money is the root of all evil, don't hate the playa, yadi yadi ya.

13. 47MartialMan

Yada yada, Buddhist are not supposed to follow that dogma...especially monks :evil:

14. Mushroom

They're not monks. :p

Unfortunately it's like Disneyland, franchises being built for those who want to go and train in such schools. The shaved head and robes is basically a uniform.

Been a while since I attended Temple, I remember not being allowed to say a word and be on my best behaviour...

(biggest. challenge. ever)

15. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Being fair though, a Buddhist who trains how to kill people is going against dogma, especially monks.

16. Mushroom

17. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Monks are people too.

18. The Iron Fist

That depends on what dogma you examine brother, the Shaolin were not like many other Buddhist sects. They deified the more martial/militaristic Buddhist mythical figures like Vajrapani, and took a very active part in military campaigns.

You can make similar arguments about the Knights Templar. Killing people breaks the Commandments*, but not if you're a Templar, you get your "Get Out of Hell Free" card sorry terrible joke :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Actually only "murder" breaks the commandment...killing is perfectly fine

20. geezer

geezer Valued Member

Killing for the Church, in the name of God, was not only fine, it even got a few people sainted!

Now how does that work for a Buddhist. Do you have to kill with detachment? Are you just helping people into their next incarnation? ...kinda nudging along the cycle of life, death, and rebirth?

You know, this could be an argument for capital punishment that I haven't heard yet. Keeping people in prison for life is just slowing down their spiritual evolution!

As far as "authentic vs. inauthentic" monks, it seems pretty hard to judge. Are they all performers working under cynical management? Are there none who are devout Buddhists? Can a Buddhist be a savvy capitalist? Do I hear one hand clapping or it my tinnitus acting up again? :confused: