Punching out a candle.

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Relosa, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Relosa

Relosa New Member

I was going through and old book that my sensei has and I saw a really neat, well I guess you would call it a practice, you light a candle and then you take your shirt off and you practice to punch the candle and blow it out from the wind you create. You need to make sure you don't have a shirt on so your shirt wont create wind from your clothes.

I've tried doing it. HOLY CRAP!!!! It's so hard to do, I only made the flame flicker and bit.

2. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

It's actually pretty easy. The trick is not to retract your fist, and leave it fully extended as you punch, stopping just short of the candle.

3. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

I concur, it is easy :p

4. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

For a "first try", use a palm-heel strike instead of a straight punch. Should be easier to get the candle out.

Putting out lit candles is a requirement for belt advancement in the sword art I'm studying. Had to snuff two candles simultaneously last test, without touching the wicks with the blade. Will have to snuff three candles next test, and 5 or 6 (I forget which) when I go for blackbelt.

(So, do you take your shirt off so your sleeve won't catch on fire?)

5. Cain

Cain New Member

Hmm, I always extinguished it by retracting my fist, but it was harder to to it without snapping back/retracting...

|Cain|

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I well know party piece - and nothing to do with punching power.

<can-o-worms> About as pointless as breaking wood </can-o-worms>

7. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Yeah, I was doing this in my ninja turtle phase when I was twelve, so yes, I would say power has nothing to do with it.

8. Relosa

Relosa New Member

I never thought about leaving my punch. *shrugs* I'll try it later some time.

Oh and Capt Ann, the whole point of the exercise is to do it with a punch not an open hand.

9. Omicron

Omicron is around.

What sword art is that, Capt Ann? Haidong Gumdo? I'm trying to gather some info about sword arts lately.

10. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Capt Ann, you do it with out a shirt so you dont cheat and make extra wind from your shirt. :D :D

11. ranger

ranger New Member

you can't put out the flame if you get too excited in putting out the flame. :)

12. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

we were playing around doing it with punches and with kicks. The point is to get a "snap" on your strikes, pulling back just before the flame. It's a lot harder with kicks.

13. Future

Future New Member

why would you want to do this...is havng a snap on your kicks/punches hit harder then say just fullyextending and pushing through your target (for example fullyextending your punch and continuing threw with it V.S snapping it)

14. Relosa

Relosa New Member

If I bothered to punch through a person and the punch wasn't devastating enough to put them out then they could easily strike back and hit me while I was trying to fully extend my punch. Not to mention if you fully extend your punch you run risk of locking out and that is a bad thing.

15. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

16. Unforgiven

Unforgiven New Member

thats too ez... if you guys want a good training for punches i got one...

take a hot pan (if you dont have one bye one from sears/wallmart/ there faily cheep) fill it with about 2 glasses of water.. set the water to boil. then put metal chains into the pan. punch at the chains (make sure the water is no longer boiling just very hot)

17. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

are you sure that's not just a fancy excuse for punching rusty chains in hot water? j/k
    seriously though, i don't see how'd that work. the hot water would jsut relax or burn your skin, while the metal would be softened.

18. Future

Future New Member

ok now im more confussed than b4.. so if i was to punch someone how would the ideal way to do this be? Boxers don't snap there punches, they follow through with them for the kncokout!

19. Relosa

Relosa New Member

Boxers usually go for the face, unless I'm mistaken.

Strikeing arts go for the body, grappling arts distact the body then go in for a hold. Most of them are snaps not puting your whole entire body behind it and punching through.

20. FacePunch

FacePunch Banned Banned

This sounds like an excellent waste of time.
    Typical useless TMA ********.