Where to buy a gi in UK?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Prizewriter, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I checked the MAP rules and I hope I'm not breaking any rules (forgive me if I am, totally unintentional) but any recommendations on where to buy a gi in the UK/ireland? We can't buy gi's through our club anymore and I want a competition legal gi (I use an old Judo gi and an Navy BJJ gi at the moment).

Thanks for any assistance.

2. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Blitz Karate Gi's tend to be pretty good.

I've never bought a BJJ one though.

Also try Playwell - these tend to be more on the budget side.

Gary

3. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

I think TatamiFightWear BJJ Gi's are based in Wales and pretty reasonably priced compared to most. Hope that helps.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Scramble. Also UK based. Just got my wife one of their posh Sengoku brand for Christmas and it's amazeballs.

5. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Blitz judo gis are all I have ever used, Does the job nicely :) it's not a lightweight fancy type gi it's just a simple and robust jacket and some pretty bog standard trousers. They do shrink a bit but less than others I have seen other use and they last for ages :)

Not a lot of logos or embellishments or anything if that's what your after though. Not great if your after a super light gi or any fancy fabric (eg ripstop).

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Theres loads of uk gi companies
    Tatami offer the best per pound, generally.
    What's your price range?

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Judo Gis are good enough to be getting on with if you're strapped for cash.

8. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Thanks folks.

Cheaper the better but I could go to £100 including shipping (N Ireland) for a quality gi. I have a few I have looked at like Fudoshin, Tatami and the Fuji all-round, but I have no experience with retailers in the UK. Just looking for a retailer who is reliable and solid customer service. So any advice welcome.

They are good and I use a few for training, but sadly they aren't IBJJF legal so I can't use them in comps. My navy gi isn't legal either as it's not technically "blue" :(

9. Dead_pool

Tatami have regular sales, ive recently had Two gis from them (brand 96) for under 100 including postage.

Battle gear and strike are both good entry level gi and there sub 50 quid regularly too.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Just found out I also got my wife a Tatami gi.

A "New Year's" present, apparently.

:(

But yeah, very high quality gi and "well worth the price" (she said).

11. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Got a Tatami one. Thanks for the input folks.

12. martialarts01

martialarts01 New Member

try www.cimac.net they have the brand new adidas range available

13. Dead_pool

Ive had an addidas ripstop bjj gi and it was garbage.

14. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Have you tried the new ones? IMO they're now an excellent budget option. The adidas 'Response' gi and the Tatami Nova are the two best beginner gis available in the UK, and I say that as someone who has worn/reviewed/bought a lot of gis. ;)

My review of the Response here and the Nova here. They're both £55, one delivered from Birmingham, the other from around Cardiff, IIRC.

15. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member