Mini Map Meet - The Gathering.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Oct 12, 2014.

?

When do you want this event?

1. Interested before Christmas

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Interested after Christmas

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Mitch posted a Dog brothers video on our Facebook page and it has got me thinking.

Who wants some?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjAkbQb6axU"]Dog Brothers Euro Gathering 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

I don't expect anyone to be fighting full contact with rattan sticks, but we can do a padded stick version.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKWZ-VmTeTc"]FMA Eskrima kali Arnis Padded stick sparring. Kickfit Martial Arts Academy,Nottingham,UK - YouTube[/ame]

You don't need to be an eskrimador, as I'd expect there to be punching, kicking and throws from your own art.

This is an excellent opportunity to test your own art under pressure, learn some new transferable skills, meet fellow MAP members, raise some money for charity and most of all, have some fun.

Here is a very brief video of me and one of my students sparring and you'll see knees, kicks (even a head kick), punches and even Andy going for a takedown at the end.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuGqbL1GnuM"]Stick Sparring - YouTube[/ame]

Here is an excellent tutorial on how to make a padded sparring stick, although they will be provided on the day.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3VTJgxWqSE"]Kali - How to Make a Sparring Stick - YouTube[/ame]

I would teach some basic strikes and defences with both single and double stick for the first hour, show you how to strike with the stick and follow uo with punches and kicks and then everyone gets to spar everyone else.

Two on the mat at a time with every fight filmed.

This is not a competition, there are no winners or losers. It is though about having fun and giving yourself a bit of a test.

Don't be out off by the stick. At full power padded sticks give you a bruise, but not a cut.

Levels of power will be determined before stepping onto the mat.

I'll be able to confirm next week, but it looks as though the hall we have in mind (at the Judo centre in High Wycombe) can accommodate about 15 people.

I'd like to do a few of these events each year and the next one will probably be in Nottingham near Mitch.

If things go well we'll bring this event to you. Small numbers make this fairly easy to organise and we can use local or church halls.

Who is interested and would you want an event before Christmas?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I'd consider coming over for it after X-Mas. I'm hardly working at the moment, so money is really tight.

3. Simon

Same for so many of us unfortunately.

The MAP Meet is the big event next year and I see these as mini meets that can be organised quickly at low cost.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'd be up for this. Done some arnis in my time and loved the very little bit of WEKAF sparring I did.
    I wonder if you should offer some limited WEKAF style sparring too?
    That would seem more of a transition into stick fighting than full on anything goes, even with a padded stick.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If Al came over from Viking-land I'd defo be up for it.
    Be rude not to make the drive and let him whack me with a stick.

6. Simon

I could probably do that.

I don't want anyone out off by the thought of full contact.

Levels are agreed beforehand and even the very nervous will be absolutely fine and looked after.

7. Bozza Bostik

How is WEKAF sparring different? I don't know anything about the sport end of FMA.

I think it might be good to have the sparring in categories. Like stick only, stick and striking, anything goes. It could be just agreed on with your victi...sparring partner before hand. It might be a good learning experience for everyone regardless of background.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

WEKAF you have body armour and basically a bucket on you're bonce.
    Much more substantial than the helmets Andy and Simon are using in their sparring.
    I remember feeling pretty invulnerable in that get-up.

9. Simon

WEKAF sparring is with padded body armour.

I like the idea of single stick against single stick, double against double and double against single.

I only have 2 sets of WEKAF armour, but could probably borrow more from friends.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Xme5WMmj4"]Doce Pares eskrima - WEKAF sparring - YouTube[/ame]

10. Simon

Definitely.

I'm happy to pad up and let someone use me as a punch bag.

There is value in this.

Here's me doing the same to Grand Master Danny Guba.

He kindly padded up and off to work I went.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGeamGPLpTM"]One sided sparring - YouTube[/ame]

In terms of safety and levels of intent, here is my younger son Charlie in his first ever sparring session and this against my senior student.

He loved it.

This level with padded sticks would leave you with nothing more than a small bruise.

Wearing the WEKAF helmets and using hockey or lacross gloves (supplied) is better than the helmet I use.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-p-I4Ely7o"]Charli and Andy Sparring - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  11. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I'm interested, but not sure if I can make it before Christmas. I'd be in for Notts without a doubt. I have a fully matted facility to use also.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  12. Simon

Here's me in the armour with my instructor practicing lines of attack.

As you can see from the helmet cam your vision is restricted somewhat.

In the final sections I'm just trying to block a few, which changes the lines of attack.

Stick training doesn't always have to be mad.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp3gwvbW01M"]You Tube Project Amera.avi - YouTube[/ame]

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I have 5 or 6 suits of Spartan that might help people feel comfortable, plus assorted other helmets that would work :)

Mitch

14. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I've voted before Christmas , but just wanted to register that I'm interested.

15. ned

ned Valued Member

Would definitely be up for this as it's something I've often thought about adding to my skillset.Done a little with a friend of mine from Oxford who I've trained/sparred with in the past,who might be up for coming along
    (here in black)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wtNhX31hCg&list=UUEWAHUUOQHZGwdnCpWJ9vwy

(If you can get over here Bozza,I'm local and could offer you a place to stay to save a few pennies if that would make a difference)

16. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I'd be very interested. Time frame isn't much of a problem for me but as a mini meet I feel like it'd be better sooner rather than end up close to the proper meet.

I also like the offer of Spartan armour Mitch. If you want to make it a (albeit more levelled) DB style thing then Spartan seems better suited than the normal armour in those videos which looks cumbersome for anything other than stick. And freedom to panic shoot very sloppily is a concern for me :p

17. Simon

I'm at the Judo Centre next week with JWT, so I'll talk to them about dates and I'll come back with some options and some costs.

I'd like to get a meet in before Christmas and another two at least next year.

18. Bozza Bostik

Thanks Ned! That would be awesome. You have a spare board? We could do this after.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HEzlVxTScXA[/ame]

But this year is definitely out. Next year though.

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Bring it on. :yeleyes:

After Christmas would be much better for me, I'm waiting for a small medical procedure that I'll need to have before I can do anything like this.

Plus I'm in the middle of training and settling in a service dog for my son so I can't really be leaving him for extended periods at the moment.

20. Simon

Hope that goes well for you Dean and it'll be nice to meet up with you next year.