Strikes 1 & 2

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Pretty In Pink, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

A few weeks ago I was experimenting with the aforementioned strikes as an empty hand concept with much success. Kept doing it until Instructor told me to not do it because there is no padding when you're hitting with a hammer fist.

Anybody else use this? I am thinking I'll probably use this in competition as it's legal, and nobody is expecting it.

Also, couldn't find the kali forum, if someone wants to move the thread that'd be nice :)

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I use them all the time :)

If you watch Weidman Silva 1, the reason Silva got caught was because of the angle 2 with an overhand riding the back of it.

The Dog Brothers have done a lot with this concept too, although i can hand on heart say I have been teaching them well before I saw any DB videos on it

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFPO1zdZb08"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFPO1zdZb08[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT49Ne_x6bY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT49Ne_x6bY[/ame]

They are a very interesting and practical tool in the box, both for ring and street - but drilling is vital!

With Rick you have the best coach to bring out teh combat aspects of it too

3. Pretty In Pink

I really don't like the stick aspect of kali. The empty hand stuff is under utilized :(

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Voila! FMA Forum ;)

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

They aren't separate :)

Using the stick and knife will REALLY bring on your empty hands - trust me...I'm a Doctor!

6. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Lol!

Deffo a signature post there!

7. Pretty In Pink

They aren't separate but I find it easier without the sticks. The knife isn't too difficult for me.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The two types of Filipino martial arts I've done (kali via Ollie Batts and Rapid Arnis via Pat O'Malley) had different angle 2's. Former being downward 45, latter a horizontal backhand.
    Whatchouonaboutchadderz?

9. Pretty In Pink

Inosanto/Lacoste Blend. Right foot forward, right hand forward, downward forehand is number one, downward backhand is number 2.

10. Pretty In Pink

Awwwww crap :(

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't spend much time training the nos. 1 and 2 angles precisely as they'd be thrown with a stick (using the hammer fist). But throwing a backfist or hook or ridge hand or clothesline or elbow are examples of how I am, in essence, throwing a 1 or 2. Different weapons (just as an angle 1 is an angle 1 if you're using a stick or a knife or a chain) but the same fundamental angles.

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The "hammer fist" is one of the 7 major hand striking skills used in the long fist system besides jab, cross, hook, uppercut, back fist, palm strike. Back in the 70th, if you used it in any Karate tournament, it was not considered as a valid striking and you won't get any point by doing it.

13. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Not exactly what you are talking about (although sounds like a good idea), but sort of a backwards version:

The kung fu system I have learned a little of (and I stress I have learned only a little), has a combo that is a backfist that is the same angle and direction as an angle 2, followed by a swing punch that is on an angle 1 from the rear hand.

So from a right lead - right backfist going downward at 45 degree angle, then a left hand overhand coming down on a 45 degree angle. It is hard to land in sparring for me with the traditional style swing punch, but make it more of an overhand hook and it is easier.

The swing punch I am talking about hits with the 2nd knuckles like you are knocking on a door. I have seen video of Ron Balicki saying when he was fighting competitively he would try to strike with those knuckles when he could, because there was less padding on the gloves there.

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

and that is dumb because it's also a basic krotty technique. i don't train them a whole lot because i personally prefer other things, but they can be pretty cool for someone who trains them regularly, and i've seen some scary looking hammerfists out there.

15. Pretty In Pink

I never plan on winning by points:evil:

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

17. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

They're meat and potatoes techniques in CLF.

18. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Also Erik Paulson teaches them a lot for mount striking.

19. Florete

Florete Valued Member

We use our angles 1 and 2 empty hand regularly in PTK. The hammer fist tends to show up more on the #2, and even that depends on who is teaching.

20. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Downward X blitz was a favorite of mine when I sparred a lot of MMA. With regards to trapping... there's a few secrets in there ;) [You mean trapping works?!?! ;) ]