Bitcoin sponsoring MMA

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by smak, Jun 27, 2014.

1. smak

smak Valued Member+

Well not Bitcoin exactly, a bitcoin alternative called NautilusCoin I believe will be the first crypto currency sponsoring a bout in the octagon

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101792287

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

They're sponsoring the fighter, not the fight. That means they'll get a logo on his banner and on his shorts.

3. smak

smak Valued Member+

stand corrected, thanks holyheadjch!

4. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

To be honest, the idea of these untraceable algorithm-based currencies gaining more popularity is a really bad thing in my eyes, as the majority of people buying them seem to have little to no understanding of sensible investing and don't do due diligence on important issues like the size of the market (in terms of both players and number of coins in existence), nor is there actually an easy way to verify these figures given the design of the currency to be as untraceable as possible. In other words, it's perfectly possible that there's a stash held back somewhere which can be used to make someone a fortune once the currency takes off a little, devaluing the currency significantly.

I think it's an interesting project, but until it's fully regulated and guaranteed in some way, it's something I will steer clear from and advise my clients to do the same.

5. smak

smak Valued Member+

its completely open source, and hardly untraceable.

public ledger is quite literal, and code to the software available for audit 100%.

granted you need to be well versed in not only econometrics but also communication technologies to invest wisely in this emerging market.. its the early adopters that risk more to gain more (as usual.)

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

So, is Bitcoin like those gold coins you collect on Super Mario?

7. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

Sounds pretty much like the conventional banking systems.

I agree with de-centralised currency that is not traceable. However, the downfall is that you have no protection.

You have no bank to protect you, lose the data/pc/access and you lose the cash. Meaning the level of security is directly related to the technical abilities of the user. This I think will provoke more security attacks on personal computers.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Pretty much.

9. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

The number of coins in existence is precisely known, actually, because their creation has to be verified by the block-chain which every node holds, here's a handy graph (http://blockchain.info/charts/total-bitcoins). The total number of possible Bitcoins is also designed in, it's 21 million.

It's true that the actual number of players in the market is designedly difficult to estimate because users almost always generate a new address for each transaction, but things like trade volume, creation rate, average transaction size etc. are not only knowable, but visible from every node in the network.

P.S. Though it's possible that someone could artificially affect the volumes and average sizes of transactions by swapping coins between their own addresses, I suppose.

The real threat to Bitcoin is http://news.insidebitcoins.com/ghashio-and-bitcoins-51-attack-problem