Recent push hands competition

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by ned, Jun 21, 2014.

1. ned

ned Valued Member

A few weeks ago I competed in fixed lightweight push hands at the London competition for traditional tai chi,held by Gary Wragg's Wu school in Bethnel Green.The organisers sent me some clips,this being the only(almost)complete
    one-unfortunately it finishes just before my arm is raised :rolleyes:.
    I eventually took the bronze after winning against my final opponent who beat me at my last competition in oxford back in april
    I am on the left.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yKZlfT-gwk"]Fixed lightweight push hands,Hackney 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Nice work, Ned and congratulations.

3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Seconded.

Question - what's the goal of this comp? How are points scored/how are winners decided?

4. ned

ned Valued Member

Have a look in my log mate,pg 11 I think,Belltoller asked a similar question(save me explaining it all again :) am off out now )

5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Lol!

I've been following your log for a little while and somehow managed to forget it! I'll go take a peek :)

EDIT: Found it! I had read the post talking about your performance but somehow failed to read the first couple of lines. :eek:

One thing I'm curious about is who would get the point at 00:49? You did pull him off balance but you also fell over, so would the point go to him/both get a point?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  6. ned

ned Valued Member

No point scored.I would have won the point if I had'nt moved my rear foot,
    so long as I offbalanced him before I went over (imho).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  7. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Nice work, congrats!

8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Interesting, In our rules, you don't get a point if you can't keep your balance. In fact, in our rules, the opponent gets two points if you are not just off balance, but on the ground. Although in cases like the above, I think because both are off balance, no one would get a point.

9. ned

ned Valued Member

I am no expert on the rules and stand to be corrected :) .It's possible to watch the points as they're scored and make your own deductions.
    I think it was one to uproot/offbalance, two points,hands on the ground,four points back/backside on ground.

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

There are no set unified rules. They vary from organization to organization. So there is no way I could correct you or vise versa. We can just compare. :)

You were obviously the dominant person in the match, and did a great job! But I will suggest you might want to work on letting yourself not get on the ground repeatedly in a fixed step match. Regardless of points - it isn't a good thing from a self defense standpoint. My instructor has an extremely low tolerance for any student getting on the ground for any reason in fixed step. She pretty much thinks it should almost never happen in fixed step.

One question. Your opponent looks like he had a poor root (no disprespect meant). Did you find that to be the case and took advantage of it? Or were you just more advanced and made it look like he wasn't rooted properly in general when he was?

11. ned

ned Valued Member

Being well rooted is important but so is being relaxed and able to 'read' your opponent.
    In my first match(against the eventual overall winner) I was on the back foot from the start and just could'nt get back in.I was nervous,my stance was slightly off,and he could easily read my movements because of the tension in my arms.His greater experience was obvious.
    You probably learn more from these experiences than from the ones you win
    although it feels horrible at the time-when you learn what your weaknesses are you can work on the counters.

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Don't spend too much time in your Taiji

- fix step PH. You may forget "footwork".
    - moving step PH. You may forget "entering strategy".

After you have developed that experience, move on and don't look back. There are a lot of training that you will need to spend your time beyond that.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  13. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Nice Job Ned! Your opponent seemed a bit overly agro, but you handled him well.

I'm not sure if its the angle of the shot, but it looks like your front foot is turned inwards (40-45 degrees?), am I seeing this correctly? We do this in I liq Chuan but I've never been taught to do this in Taiji, nor seen many people use it.

Also, I'm at work so I watched it without sound, but I can see what looks like Barry giving instructions on the left of the shot. Are you from his group?

Should do moving step next time too, I think you'd do well in it.

14. ned

ned Valued Member

15. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

That's cool. I do think its more useful than having your front foot at 90 degrees. I find you can get more torque this way, makes the stance more stable and dynamic.

Ahh.. that's a bit of a pain, he's a nice enough guy and he does have a lot of experience in these comps, but if your not an official it is best to leave it to those who are. You'd be in the right asking the ref to hush him up.

Funny you say that, last time I did this comp I had my opponents dad hovering around us shouting inane support comments at his son. Ref didn't seem to give a damn. It is understandable being the parent and all but it is a annoying, didn't help his son either.

That's and odd one. It may actually be a good point to accentuate at comps. There is this one, way over used move, I often see in fixed push hands where at the outset, the fastest to instigate a drag/pull of the opponents arm gets the point (i.e. lift the elbow with the one hand and pull the forearm/hand with your other hand diagonally across the opponents body). It would be harder to do without cupping the opponents elbow. However, if it was just for your match, it doest make much sense.