A short video, comments or advice welcomed

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I'm not using elbows and knees on this.. it's all just basic punching and some kicks. I couldn't get back far enough to show my feet, but perhaps you all will get the idea. As you can see, I am limited as far as space all the way around the bag, but you have to work with what you've got, so I save some of the stuff for shadow boxing... anyway... here you go.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy-iPA_qX1A"]basic punches and kicks - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014
  2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

:kick: SIB, do you have an injury on your left leg/ foot?

I noticed that you overwhelmingly kick with your right foot, but not your left. I am left footed and a black sash I sparred with pointed out I overwhelmingly kick with my left side. (My teacher always says you often notice in others what you are working on yourself.)

If it isn't due to an injury, I would suggest to you the same thing I am working on, don't favor one kicking leg so much. Make a point to develop your other kicking leg.

Edit- also, does your style have other kicks? It seems like you are only throwing roundhouse kicks. If you have other kicks, mix it up a bit more?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  3. Saved_in_Blood

No injury.. I'm just working strictly on my left leg technique, so it's slower. The other kicks are push kicks, sweeps and of course knees (which isn't a kick), but I am trying to keep it more punches... I'm just mixing in some kicks here and there. I usually try to do twice as many left leg kicks so I can catch up faster.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Always props for posting vids.
    My few thoughts.
    Footwork - could be due to space (thats a tight spot). I noticed you're crossing your legs as you circle. Should be move left, left foot first, move right, right foot first.
    Round kicks: Lean back as you kick and pivot more on your left/supporting foot. (Once again, space issue?)
    Left hook: Turn your shoulders and waist more for it. Currently you seem to be throwing it mostly with your arm, which opens you up to a right cross. Unless you throw it whilst you move to your right....which brings me to.
    Stick and move: I suggest punch/combo and then you move positions.
    Change levels: When hitting a body shot, don't punch down. Bend your knees and throw the punch straight. This causes less openings .

All good! Keep it up.

5. Saved_in_Blood

I try to never let them cross, but I'm not always aware of what I'm doing which is why I will record myself on occasion to see if I'm developing bad habits... or the ones I do already are improving.

Yeah, space is very limited. I've got my car right behind me, lawn mower is there, etc. etc.

My instructor yells at me about several of the things you mentioned also... these are unfortunately bad habits developed from hitting the bag years ago when I had no one to tell me how to do it properly and could never find a boxing coach... which at the time was all I was interested in. It cannot be denied however that leg kicks and the other weapons used in KB/MT are devastating and will keep you thinking more about how many other things you might be hit with... but all the rest of those are completely foreign to me besides punching. I feel like I should be further alone after almost 3 months of private lessons, but to be fair to myself, when I'm at the gym I have unlimited space to work with as far as footwork, other kicks, clinch and knees (on the bob dolls fake ribs lol). Oh well, just have to keep doing it.

6. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

A few things I noticed...

You drop your guard a lot when you throw combos.

You don't bring your hands back to guard quickly enough once you strike.

You tend to leave your hand out, admiring your work.

Your leaning into punches a lot

I am willing to bet that even though I cannot see it, your rear foot is coming off the floor a lot when you cross.

You also have a habit of rolling your punches down after a strike.

You tend to cat pad a lot (step from foot to foot) this is a massive tell for an experienced fitgher as they will instantly see when you drop full body weight on a foot.

When you kick the hand on the kicking side should ideally be swinging behind your hip if you want power.

You need to turn your hip over into the kick more.

Try and get on your toes more, limited space is no excuse.

Lift your elbow higher when you hook at head height.

Hope that helps.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This was something I also saw.

I call it hunting with the eyes and I see it a lot when students spar.

The desire to hit the other person has them leaning in. The downside to this is it presents your head as a nice easy target.

Keep the head behind the hands.

Your foot position has you thinking you're out of range, but the leaning in puts your head in range.

Bring the head back, stand upright then soften the knees, just as you would when adopting a regular stance.

This keeps your head out of range. The other advantage is you'll now have to step into the bag to hit it and will by default be more powerful (and faster).

The advantage of not leaning in is

8. Saved_in_Blood

ok, a lot to remember here lol

9. Simon

All the above said your movement is pretty good.

You move around the bag, so are nice and alive, switch from hands to feet, high to low, so all the basics are there.

10. Saved_in_Blood

It's hard for me to not lean in... another bad habit I developed. I am trying to turn the hips into the jab a bit to get a little extra distance out of it, but I'm not very good at it apparently, it also causes me to lean in I guess to attempt to gain that distance.

11. Unreal Combat

I think once you learn to use your hips and shoulders you'll get better.

I'll try and get a video of myself working a heavy bag at the weekend. I'm certainly not perfect but it should give you an idea of what to aim for.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  12. Saved_in_Blood

no, my hip movement has been very difficult to pick up... perhaps because I'm getting to old lol.

13. Unreal Combat

Age has nothing to do with it. It's just something that comes with time and a coach with the right eye for it.

14. Simon

I'll try to and shoot a short video too.

15. Saved_in_Blood

Yeah, I know... but this is why when I go my instructor I get hit in the head with the mitts all the time I guess. He tells me all the things you all have mentioned. I'm not in a rush though, I just want to get it all correct. Luckily I'm not doing this for ring combat... just fun and possible SD if ever needed.

16. Simon

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So I can't be sure, because I can't see your feet. But judging by the rest of your body when you kick, I'm going to guess that you're not turning over enough on your left foot when you kick with your right leg. Obviously, your coach's advice trumps mine. But when I was learning the round kick, move #1 was a very exaggerated step/turn out with the base leg:

From your fighting posture,
    1) Pick your lead foot up a shade off the floor and put it back down with your toes pointing outward and your heel pointing inward. Basically, open your foot as much as you reasonably can.

2) Hip moves next, then leg.

It looks to me, when you kick, that you're initiating the motion with your kicking leg. So you're collapsing your hips in on each other, for lack of a better phrase. Think of it like a whip. If you were using a whip, the point of the whip is what's going to crack. But you initiate all of that motion by moving the handle. Not the tip. With a kick, you initiate with your feet. They start a chain reaction with your hips, shoulders, and kicking leg.

Once you're more comfortable with that basic sequence of events, you'll play with other factors. Like a small step through the target. Watch a lot of Thai-style kickers and you'll see that they're actually stepping through the target a bit as they kick. So that lead foot isn't just turning over. It's stepping into the kick at the same time. Even Bas Rutten, who famously doesn't advocate turning the hips over, does advocate the step. It's one more thing to get in that sequence, but it makes a big difference in your kicking power. Your power goes where your hip goes, really. If your hip goes through the target, your power will too. If your hip stops on a plane with the target's surface, that's where your force stops too.

That feels more metaphorical than I intended. I hope it makes a modicum of sense.

18. Saved_in_Blood

I was told when I started to think of the leg as just a wet noodle or a whip as you said already. The problem I struggle with is that I have the hardest time loosening up and just relaxing. I stay so tense that it's hard for me to think of that motion.

When I kick (and I'm doing it properly) I think of it in 2 sections.. the first is to step out to a 45 degree angle and then as the hand comes down and helps with the momentum the second part is to turn the foot almost another 45 degrees (maybe not quite that much) but it helps me to break it down into sections. Once I am able to relax my leg more as I keep doing it I think that will help the form overall.

19. Simon

Avoid kicking the bag for a while. :jawdrop:

I'd get the foot placement and hip turn down first. The problem with the bag and the same goes for working with a pad holder, is that n matter how much you try and avoid it, you'll be adding unnecessary power.

I liken it to hitting a golf ball. Take away the ball and you have a nice golf swing. Put the ball down and you try and hit it and the technique goes out of the window.

I suggest using the technique shown in this video. If you don't have a readily available training partner then either place your foot on the back of a chair, or take down your bag and replace it with a strap that'll support your kicking leg.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmYBGILtYbE"]Muay Thai - Body Kick Mobility Drill - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  20. Unreal Combat

Try kicking over a chair, that's a trick we often use to teach people how to kick.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014