WTF sparring punches

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Qis, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

Hey guys, just wondering how you guys punch in sparring. You can only score a point with a punch that moves the opponent right? but with the hogu on it's really hard to generate this kind of force( both because the hogu restricts movement, and because it absorbs a heap of your punch. )
    Trying to move my opponent with a punch that doesnt look like a push is beyond me.
    any tips?

-Qis

p.s does everything not seem so much easier once you take your hogu off? it's as if your legs are filled with helium, and somoene's got a nice cooling fan pointed at you. mmm

2. qbushido

qbushido Subaru whore/NYC kid

A few years ago when I was involved with TKD you had to damn near knock the other guy down to get the judges to even THINK about scoring that, it was so far from likely that most people just used thier punches to move the opp. back into kicking range.

3. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

Yeah, but you cant push, it's got to be a punch, I just couldn't seem to get any kind of power, and as you said, it's almost impossible to knock someone over with a punch to the body through a hogu.
    Just wondering if there was any specific technique to it, or if i should just abandon the notion entirely.
    -Qis

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Yes, under WTF rules, it is pretty tough to get a point with a punch to the body (especially through the hogu). However, in my own humble opinion, I would NOT recommend dropping punches from your preferred means of attack. Even under WTF tournament rules, I use lots of punches... why?

(1) For me, I generate a lot of power with a punch. A good punch to the front of the shoulder area can hurt a guy very much (I can inflict heavy bruises through the hogu very often). This takes away his close-up game and makes him rely on his long range attacks.

(2) Repeated close painful strikes with the hands (even without a point) will make them shy away when you slide in, thereby setting them up for your kicks as they react to out of rear or aversion to pain.

(3) As a big who may not be as fast as the smaller more sport-oriented guys, I have to spend a lot of time fighting in close. I use powerful strikes intended to hurt them through thier protection (and my strikes are legal and fast). Through this, I can manuipluate them into opening up for my (point scoring) leg strikes.

Some techniques I favor:

- A strong fast jab to the upper chest to set them up for quick crosses to the same area.

- Slide in (like the old sliding "S" step) and allow them to close in on you, like they are jamming your roundhouse... bring your uppercut into the floating rib (right under the hogu) right along on the momentum of your slide. You can take their breatehe away, crack ribs, or make them uppercut shy for a while.

- Fake a forward attack and cut 45 degrees by one side... as you pass them very closely, hook punch to the kidneys (covered by the hogu and a legal target). (Or, you can use a driving downward straight punch)

- Get them worreied about the power of your punches and they will start to fade back everytime you tense up to throw a punch.... follow your punch in with a kicking technique and they will fade right back into range.

5. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

Cheers Thomas,
    As always, nice pointers, and examples of usefull techniques, i'll bear them in mind next time i'm sparring/training.
    Most of my punches are currently directed at teh solar plexus, but i can't get any penetration there through teh hogu. maybe the softer targets like the kidneys will make my punches a bit more effective.
    I especially like the downward punch idea, rather than trying to move the opponent, you just settle for making their life uncomfortable. sounds good.

-Qis

6. Thomas

Yes, it's hard to get any good power on the solar plexus through the hogu! I use my hands in tournament style basically to hurt them or to take away their wind through repeated body shots (see boxers). Good training

7. sheslee

sheslee New Member

as with using your hips to throw a front kick (basic turning kick), use your shoulders to throw a punch... make sure u lock your arms enough to throw a firm punch n not to risk dislocating it... a powerful punch using shoulders should throw off opponents... there's an unspoken rule that punches are usually not awarded points in wtf tkd but if you're able to knock your opponent over, its hard not to award the point... punches are extremely useful to knock opponents over when you close in while they are doing "unsteady" kicks... double front kicks, slamming (?) etc... :rolleyes:

8. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

I didn't even know there could be punching involve but it has to hit near the chest area because I do A.I.M.A.A. Tae Kwon Do which is like ITF sparring and in some olympic sparring matches I hardly even see any punches being scored.

9. logsig

logsig A Noid

Don't give up on punches!

1. Yes, unless your opponent makes it a habit to hop around on one leg or doesn't finish their kicks fast enough, it's awfully hard to score a point with a punch. Though if you get the chance, you might want to try hitting higher up on the hogu. As this is above their center of gravity it increases the chances of them leaning over backwards and having to stumble a bit to get balance. (Same thing for kicks too of course.)

2. Apart from scoring points, if you develop your punches enough to make things uncomfortable for your opponent it'll greatly widen your options. Everything that Thomas said is spot on, but you do need lots of strength to do this effectively.

3. Every now and then you run into an opponent who loves to punch. If you've practised enough yourself, you'll be better aware of how to deal with this sort.

4. One very common tactic when people are tired is to do the "WTF clinch", where you both stick together like panting drunkards with velcro suits for a few seconds and the referee resets you and you get a bit of a rest in the bargain. When your opponent tries this, act like you're tired too, and then show them that you can't be trusted. :p

10. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Dummy a backfist and get them onto their back foot, then plunge in with a punch. This will move them. I used to use it in Holland.

11. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

Another good strategy when your in the "WTF Clinch" would be is to do a jumping spinning back kick which makes it very useful in sparring.

12. mattsylvester

When I was training in WTF in Holland under Luigi Melis, he showed how to go from the clinch and use a jumping foot change to basically kick the opponents ankles :) Nice technique that is quite painful.

13. Helm

Helm New Member

Hmm, a few years ago at a competition, my little bro was fighting. And his opponent rushed in with a double-roundhouse, my bro rushed in, punched him hard in the chest and knocked him straight to the ground. He didnt get a point.

But rushing in and throwing a few punches to the upper chest and screaming never goes amiss. Its also a shame if the punches happen to land on unprotected parts of the body.

I use this tactic alot (when im tired), soon as they move out i throw the roundhouse for an easy point.

14. Thomas

(large parts editted out and emphasis added)

Your entire post is really good. I just wanted to add that strength is not the only way to do it. It can also be done with lots of practice, speed and snap. Most of the strikes I use are actually jabs... with power generation coming from my hip and shoulder snap... fast punches with a snap. I do use a cross but they are a bit slower.

I hope people are not just relying on strikes that generate a point... you also can use strikes that soften up an opponent and wear them down in order to be able to throw a knock-out kick. 2 or 3 minutes in a round does give you time to wear them down (or train some nights with longer rounds and see the difference it makes).

Any other tips?

15. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

Also,You would have to basically push the opponent back and then execute the technique which would be much easier.

16. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

I have problems with the punches as well but not for generating too little power but too much the judges have disqualified me for leaving a bruise

17. logsig

logsig A Noid

Good point, I should have said "power" rather than "strength"... sloppy word choice. Thanks for the correction.

18. LeadLegger

LeadLegger New Member

Punch downwards at the collar bone where the hogu doesn't protect :woo:

19. Thomas

Don't forget the upper cuts to the rearmost part of the pad in close range (kidneys) or hook punches to the lower ribs... as long as they are "in the padded area", it's legal.

20. mattsylvester

When I was in Holland, they hated getting punched. It seemed that they'd prefer to be kicked rather than take a punch. I don't know why though.