With Friends Like These: Evander Holyfield Evicted?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Donn1e, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

Evander Holyfield has just become the first celebrity to be evicted from the Big Brother House! (UK)

With millions of Martial Arts and Boxing fans, around the world, how is this possible?!

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

British people don't tolerate homophobes.

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

4. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

His advisers obviously missed something very obvious.

I don't think he's homophobic, just badly educated.

5. holyheadjch

No, he's homophobic. Whether that is a result of a poor education is irrelevant. Stupid racist people are still racists - stupidity isn't an excuse.

6. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

What he said was idiotic, I'll give you that...

utterly, utterly, ridiculous.

I still don't think he's homophobic though.

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

When a person comes out with comments like "Homosexuality is a disability" and uses a religious text as a reference point, that's not bad education.

[EDIT: That's just homophobic, no matter how you phrase it]

Also, I thought we were doing very well keeping stuff like X Factor and Big Brother off MAP... :cry:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  8. holyheadjch

I guess the KKK aren't racists either? I mean, those outfits make them utterly, utterly ridiculous.

9. Ero-Sennin

What? That's how I hear about these things because I don't own a TV. I didn't even know there was a "big brother" show! Now I do, but I still won't be looking up anything about it beyond what I did for this thread. At least I'm in the know though.

10. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

What do you call the source of our beliefs then?

He obviously felt like a complete muppet when he was called out on it.

He just needs to be confronted with the idiocy of his belief and he'll realise it's nonsense.

People didn't stop being racist until they were confronted on the issue - it's the same.

11. LemonSloth

Lies. You have the internet - you know one day, when you get bored, your curiosity will get the better of you... :p

You're not missing much though. The first series was almost worth watching years ago when it was relatively new. It just turned into utter dross though.

12. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

The last good year was 2002 - this is the first time it's been interesting in ages.

13. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

Have any of you seen the movie Dallas Buyers Club?

If you have: How many people do you think there are [still] in the world like that i.e. actual homophobes?

If you just brush 'em under the carpet, you'll never iron out those small pockets of misguided peoples.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  14. LemonSloth

Experience, perception, personal judgements...all of which can be incredibly dumb. But none of while solely rely on what we are taught.

Judging the comments from the link that was posted...I wouldn't be sure on that.

(Some) People haven't stopped being racist though. That kind of thing only works if the person making the claims is open minded enough to listen to another persons' viewpoint and willing to consider it. Frankly, from my experiences, people who are willing to stand by public declarations of racist comments/homophobic slurs/claims of religious superiority or anything similar aren't interested in reasonable debate or what others think.

15. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

Ah - I personally consider all experience education - not just prescribed lessons.

He looked pretty stupid, to me, when he was being told off.

So they need to realise that the color of someone's skin, or their sexual preference is not something to be predudiced about, but they won't realise that unless someone sits down and talks to them rationally.

16. Ero-Sennin

He was a hell of a boxer though wasn't he? :p

17. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I haven't read the original statement, but from what people are saying he said, I don't think it is necessarily homophobic. Could it be a homophobic? Certainly. Context is everything. If he's a twit brainwashed by other twits into sincerely believing homosexuality can be medically treated, that isn't homophobia. It's willful ignorance to support an archaic belief system governed by zealots, morons, charlatans, and the easily suggestible. This is a case of semantics, but we're talking about what I imagine is a poorly educated man who got hit in the head repeatedly for a living. The fans love to cheer on the bloodsport almost as much as they love to condemn the champions of it. I'd hafta know a lot more about the man's personal beliefs and previous statements before I'd go full-fledged calling him homophobic. I think the meaning of that word has been bastardized a bit to encompass everything distasteful said or believed about the gay community.

18. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

World champion 5 times?

19. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

Exactly.

He just needs to agree to turn his brain onto "I'm actually listening" mode, and have someone with a bit more common-sense talk to him about it.

20. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

sheesh...

Martial Arts forum, and where are they all?!

Conflict resolution anyone?

:p