Almost no time/impetus to train - what to do?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Donn1e, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

Let's say you decided to dedicate just 15 minutes a day to training.

What would you concentrate on?

Footwork?
    Striking?
    Takedowns?

What would be the most effective way for a seriously lazy person to develop self-defense skills?

Is it being quick on your feet, or being able to hit hard? etc.

What would be the lazy-mans perfect 15 minute daily workout? You define it! :)

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If someone is lazy they won't train anything...make it 15 they want 14.

What i would do is give them something to make them rethink their mental approach so they aren't lazy anymore

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

15 minutes of deep breathing meditation, repeating a personalized mantra for how lazy they are and how much they suck.

4. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

haha, yeah that might actually be effective, amusing.

Ok, maybe lazy was an exaggeration. Just someone who will train 15 minutes, but only 15 minutes.

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Pick up 4 combo (or solo) skills. Repeat it as N, E, S, W as many times as your time will allow. This way you always have at least 4 combos (or solo) moves handy. Change your 4 combos into different 4 combos after a week (or after a month).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  6. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

15 minutes is about the right amount of time to warm up properly so you can safely start training.

7. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

etc.

Brilliant idea!

We did something like this in Silat, it was called Planpass One - very simple.

Great idea!

More, more :)

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'd like to be an Olympic Pentathlete. What's the best thing I can do to improve my chances of winning, given that I'm too lazy to do anything more than 15 minutes a day?

Mitch

9. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

work on general fitness I guess.

10. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Any idiot can pick up a brick and smash someone's head in, but real self-defense means having the behavior and awareness to avoid violence and the skills and presence of mind to engage in it in a controlled and legally measured fashion. In short: that's really freaking hard to do. It takes a fair bit of training. If you were to train for 3-4 hours a week (with training partners) for a few years you could reasonably have the rudimentary (and perishable) skills to survive violence moderately well. The solo training only supplements personal conditioning gained from group training. Fifteen minutes a day training solo isn't gonna build lasting self-defense skills. If someone attacks you, they're probably gonna be a lot more experienced with violence than you are, so you should at the very least be experienced in simulated violence, meaning alive group training.

If you want some fifteen minute a day training, practice your awareness of your environment, always, every trip outside. Practice always watching people's hands and their eyes, study their body language and gait, and be most alert when arriving or exiting places. Be particularly mindful of (and avoid) groups of young males loitering or drinking alcohol, anyone who takes notice of you, and don't engage in risky behaviors like visiting ATMs late at night or becoming distracted in public using your cell phone.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  11. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

That's great pragmatic advice John - thanks for sharing it!

Even if we do take up a 15 minute practice, or 30 minute, or 1 hour - we should definitely bear in mind the limitation we're imposing on ourselves!

Great point.

12. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Tae bo alternated with jogging to facilitate running away? :)

13. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

Could be, right? :)

I think maybe add some emphasis to the striking techniques ( so that they have some power ;) )

14. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

Push-ups, pull-ups, abs.

15. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Go to gym, 1 rep max everything. Leave.

16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

If one can't be bothered to make time to train more than 15 minutes a day, I don't see the point in bothering at all.

Don't mean to sound harsh, but that is my honest reaction. I just don't see the point.

It's all about setting priorities.

17. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I think I understand you're probably really trying to ask "what are the essentials? If you had to severely restrict your daily training time, what would you focus on?"

But your inquiry is going over like a 2.5cm square black and white magazine ad in the back of a Newstand publication This "'Develop Essential Self Defence Skills Mastery in 15 minutes - As Seen on T.V...But Wait! There's More!" is being read in a forum half - populated by, from what I've seen here, people who, when in competition for whatever art they study, think nothing of training 4 - 6 hours PER DAY in order to have a chance to win.

The other sizable portion of the forum reading it are the instructors! LOL

You can imagine, then.

Better to rephrase your inquiry for likewise rephrased responses.

FWIW

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

A friend of mine told his wife, "MA is my 1st wife. You are only my 2nd wife". That is how someone puts MA training as his highest priority.

19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

1. Comics
    2. XBOX
    3. M.A.
    4. Wife

Shes not on MAP so Im safe....

20. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

That sounds like a great way of ending up single again.