self defence clip

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Alansmurf, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

It looked pretty instinctive to me actually, more of a "fight" response.

I'm not sure about any potential MA training, but he's lucky the dude was holding the gun for posturing purposes and wasn't trigger happy or twitchy. At the same time, good on him.

3. pecks

pecks Valued Member

I saw this on the Guardian :)
    I thought he got something out of his pocket to hit him with. (Edit: you're right, he puts his phone away. wouldn't have been my first thought..)

Either way, surprised that his first reaction to having a gun pointed at him was to take the man on! Glad it worked out for him.

(also, the other passengers who just ran off rather than putting the boot in...)

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

It did look like the last intended victim only saw the aggressor at the very last minute and reacted somewhat instinctively. If it wasn’t an instinctive reaction I'd say that was pretty dumb, very confined environment, lots of people and the gun was not controlled, assuming it was a real gun and loaded, I'd say everyone on that bus was very lucky to escape unhurt.

5. Alansmurf

I thought he self armed on first viewing too.....:woo::woo:

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Man, watching that, all I an think of is how many things could have gone wrong in the entire exchange. :C

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I bet he was listening to some hardcore metal before that happened, and that's just the reaction you have to being mugged when you're a super badass in your own mind at the moment. :D

8. Alansmurf

Some Garth Brooks country tunes ....

kick ass

9. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Did this get posted twice? I replied to this topic once before on MAP.

It was an entirely instinctive reaction. He has zero MA or SD training. I said as much as in another thread (or this one and somehow forgot to hit send properly) and then later I looked it up and the victim was interviewed admitting that. He even said next time he'll just hand his wallet over too.

What he did there was foolish. He didn't have control over the shooters weapon hand and if he hadn't received assistance the mugger probably would have been able to break free and shoot him point bank. You cannot reasonably expect to receive assistance on a Seattle bus like that either. It was obviously a commuter bus which is why it wasn't the typical 50% homeless/addict/mentally unstable passenger population one often finds on any Seattle bus.

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Lol at the would be robber yelling "your hurting me!" (1:45 or so.)

Awww. Poor Guy- NOT!:fight2:

Yeah, dude. You lose your right to complain about being hurt when they are holding you down after attempting to rob them at gunpoint!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  11. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

People do that instinctively. Every single person I ever wrapped up shouted some equivalent of it. I used to joke about it a lot with my security team until the time those idiots were bored and decided to 4v1 me. I was fighting them so aggressively they couldn't get control of me until they used a wall, two stood on my feet, and they placed two wrist locks on me. The left hand where I wear my watch got pinched in the lock and I shouted out "ow my arm!" I was so embarrassed afterwards. I never did make fun of anyone else again for shouting out that kinda thing though.

Did you hear the moron lady yell "I gotta get my stuff!" right before she jumped over the dog pile and crouched down to reach under where everyone was wrestling? She's a thinker.