training in Korea

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by basf12, Mar 16, 2004.

1. basf12

basf12 Valued Member

i would like to know what should i expect when training in korea?
    what much is the cost if training in some of the famous university or centres?
    and how many tournaments in a month including the lower rank competition?

2. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Be prepared for the heat, different pronounciation of the terms and some awesome fun!

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Training in Korea can be really good, but it really depends on what you are looking for (expectations). I am not sure about current costs or tournaments but check out these two threads... it'll give you some ideas to start with. If you have other questions (for me), post them here or on the other threads and I'll try to answer them if possible.
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10143
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8743

4. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

There is a lot more to think about than that...

First, what visa will you visit on? Tourist? If so, what nationality are you (as there are different lengths of permittable stay for differing countries)?

What should you expect when training in Korea? Wow, a loaded question that is!

You can't train at a university, they are not open to the public. The players there are those that attend a program awarding a BA degree, and are university students. However, you could participate (depending) in a TKD club at the university...but they are at most, mediocre. I taught the club at my university, and the students were...let's say, not serious.

Private centres? That, I'm afraid, is most likely not applicable. The programmes offered are geared towards professional players, not to mention they are hesitant in accepting those that can't speak/understand Korean. If they waive your language ability, you may still need to visit and demo. your abilities before admittance (and if not accepted, that's a long flight and a lot of dosh gone). I'll check up on that for you when I get the chance....maybe things have changed.

Private schools. Absolutely able, but again....many problems. Succinctly, you 'll be the oldest student, as there are almost NO students that continue TKD after elementary/secondary school. Due to this, the quality of training may most assuredly decrease. I also have no time to explain the intracacies about this aspect of TKD training in Korea, but it is safe to say that you would more likely get more out of attending a hardcore training centre (by an olympic champion, for example) in your home country.

Costs, well, that's tricky too. These centres don't offer room or board, and in Korea you'll be pressed to get all that accomplished without having any contacts. Again, there are also other concerns that need addressing, but not the time here...maybe an online chat would be best to help you...

Tourneys, well... I don't recall seeing any older (post-teen) players under black belt. For my sparring I traveled to other schools/universities to meet other players. Costs for them, not much. Give me a particular month(s) you want to visit, and I'll locate all the tourneys in that given time.

Cheers,

DH

5. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

I've just got two words to say and that is "Korean Tigers".

6. RonR

RonR Valued Member

I can not anwser your questions.
    But that would be awesome, training in Korea.
    I hope you find a school that has true meaning. Think of all of the experiences that you will be able to bring back to your country and club. I envy you.
    RonR

7. eoin

eoin New Member

hi there, I just thought I'd throw in my two cents worth on this topic. I started my TKD training in Korea when I was living and working there. I attended a private school five evenings a week and some saturdays coming up to test time. There were plenty of older students in the class although at 23 I was among the oldest of the lower ranked belts. The Master and Grandmaster both had very little english and I had very little korean. This was not a problem however as they were extremely good teachers and we worked around the language barrier. After eleven months there we could communicate in our own version of korenglish.
    They were the most friendly and helpful people and they were delighted to have a foreigner attending their class. The cost was 60,000 won per month which was immensely good value when you consider that that cost included all our testing fees and our belts.
    The training that i have found back home is very similar, the poomsae are all the same as those we learned in Korea and the terminology is all the same also. In fact, the korean terminology is far less confusing than the english as there are so many different versions in english.
    hope this helps a little