The Skipping Thread

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Simon, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I've finally got around to shooting a skipping tutorial.

The idea of this thread is for members to post their own videos (and get a vlogger tag when we upload it) and chart their own progression.

I've started off with the "girly jump" and this is going to be your default jump; the jump that you have to get comfortable with before moving on.

I've covered 5 basic variations in this first video, but don't move on to these before being able to do 50+ girly jumps.

I've been taking a skipping class at work and by making everyone learn the girly jump first even those who couldn't skip can now do 50 turns of the rope. Those who could skip a bit can now do over 100 turns of the rope, so it's an important starting point.

Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to help you.

Try and avoid posting videos of other people skipping, unless part of a specific question/answer.

Here is a little bit of freestyle I shot last week.

[ame=""]Skipping - YouTube[/ame]

axelb, Knee Rider and chatter box like this.
  2. Simon

Here's a video from ned, which was posted in another thread earlier in the week.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dDBvUA3zJI"]Skipping log ,nov 13 - YouTube[/ame]

3. Simon

Don't worry to much about the length of the rope. You can squat right down and still skip if you have the technique, so having a rope a few inches longer than you're used to shouldn't be an issue.

The shorter the rope the faster it is, so if you have a long rope stick with it until your comfortable with it.

The only rope I don't like is the older style leather ones, as I find them rather slow.

A jump rope shouldn't be expensive, with a basic rope only costing a few pounds.

The rope used in the video is similar to [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Golds-Gym-Speed-Rope/dp/B000VF8SZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384092503&sr=8-1&keywords=speed+rope"]this one.[/ame]

I will be buying one of [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Authentic-RDX-Professional-Skipping-Fitness/dp/B008OWW90A/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1384092305&sr=8-8&keywords=jump+rope"]these[/ame] in a few weeks and will post a review and video for comparison.

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I suck at skipping. No amount of practice makes me any better at it, lol.

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Good stuff Simon.

I'll try and do a "pre-tutorial" skipping fail video tomorrow. Then follow your instructionals and post the progress.

6. Simon

Start with the girly jump.

The trouble is for they beginner is that they try and skip.

Now that may seem like a strange statement, but I see it in class a lot. A student grabs a rope and tries to do a routing that would be for a boxer, physically trying to get more and more turns of the rope and losing more form each time.

By using my method the focus is just on one turn at a time using just one basic technique.

One of the women at work couldn't skip at all, not one turn of the rope.
    I started her jumping without the rope, now after 6 x 15 minute lunchtime sessions she can do 30 turns of the rope.
    This is a person who is overweight, on blood pressure tablets and hasn't exercised in years, so if she can do it...

Skipping.jpg

7. Unreal Combat

I can do girly jumps. It's more advanced skipping I suck at. :D

8. Bozza Bostik

Ok! We made a little video today of me skipping. I haven't watched the tutorials or any videos except the ones explaining how to measure the rope, I just went out and filmed what level I am at now.

I always felt that I jump too high, and it's clear from the video that I do!

I am not attending my MA classes at the moment, so I hope skipping will help my footwork and agility, which is beneficial in any martial art, and I won't be too much of a uncoordinated fool when I get back to classes.

Hope the video works. God, I look pathetic. :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XielDW-Bjh8"]Pre-Tutorial Demo[/ame]

So Guro Simon :))), what do I do next?

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Well I can tell you Simon that the music is first class. :)

I agree with Boris' self critique...on the basic jump you are jumping way to high.

10. Unreal Combat

Video shows for me Simon.

11. Bozza Bostik

I changed the settings from private to unlisted.

12. Simon

I can see it now.

I like the relaxed style of the second part of the video, almost a lazy turn of the rope, which is what I always try and teach.

In the first part I'd just like to see you absorbing the shock through the legs a ltittle more. Land, absorb through the legs and just allow the heels to come down and tough the ground before jumping again.

Land on the balls of the feet, bend the knees a little, allow the heels to touch, then come up and push from the soles of the feet.

Overall though there's not a lot wrong, you just need a little less impact on landing.

Superb music.

I'll watch again when I get home.

PASmith, and your video is where? :)

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Ermm...in the camcorder? The dog ate it? Left it on the bus?

My skipping sucks. I can do the basic steps but always foul up after 10-15 revs. Maybe lack of fitness or timing or poor posture (or all three) means I clip a foot and have to reset.

14. Bozza Bostik

I'm quite good at the lazy thing. It comes naturally.

Ok, thanks! I'll work on that. I'll practice some jumps without the rope for a few nights, then add the rope and post.

I'm a bit stiff in the legs when I snowboard and longboard too. Something going on there.

15. JeetKata

JeetKata New Member

Your upper body is too stiff mate relax your hands and shoulders. Hold your fists closer to your body so you get more time while you jump. The easy skips which you were doing at the end do it with both legs.

16. Simon

You'll all be pleased to know that I attempted a new technique today, failed and whipped myself across the face with the rope.

I looked for a while like I'd been attacked by Zorro.

17. JeetKata

JeetKata New Member

18. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Those moments are always fun. What were you trying to do?

19. Simon

Skipping in the usual fashion, then with a twist of the rope skip backwards, then back to normal.

20. Bozza Bostik

Would anyone else like to teach me how to skip? ;)

(Just joking Simon - Really appreciate what you are doing!)