Recommend clubs advice

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Elitistjester73, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Elitistjester73

Elitistjester73 Valued Member

Ok here goes, any personally recommended JJ clubs (non BJJ) in the south east of England particularly East Sussex.

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

My geography's terrible. Is Winchester anywhere near there?

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I thought this deserved a thread of its own in a more populous forum.

This post was split from this thread.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

No I'm miles away.....

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

A long time member like you should really consider moving so a new member can get proper training and this thread gets a happy ending :rolleyes:

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

What kind, Modern Wjjf style ones, Koryu groups, SD focused ones with sparring etc?

PS why not BJJ or judo?

7. Elitistjester73

Modern styles with a SD aspect i suppose, currently training in Jitsu Foundation style so that may give you an idea of where I'm coming from so something similar. Against the flow of current opinion not BJJ as too groundwork focused and not judo as defences against strikes only come later (?) although I'm ignorant of any real detail of both. I chose JJ as it seemed to offer what I wanted

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You need to reassess your criteria

Judo and BJJ offer a far superior training methodology and unless you make a habit of getting into fights on a regular basis they also get you fitter faster and offer a lot more "bang for the buck".

TJF almost universally sucks

9. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

And you went for the Jitsu foundation? :eek:

:D

Get your **** down to an MMA gym for a bit, then look for some good SD specific training.

10. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I recommend getting your feet wet at a good ground grappling-based style, but, if you're hell bent on JJ and don't live where there is a proper school, see if there is a decent Genbukan training group nearby.

11. Elitistjester73

Hunk of junk

It's not exactly bursting with JJ clubs where I live it's like "Deliverance" country! TJF is the nearest and the next nearest then it's a choice of either TJF or Jikishin by which time it's a 40 or 60 mile round trip depending on which you choose. I had no idea everyone seems to think TJF is such a hunk of junk!

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Whereabouts in East Susex are you?

13. Elitistjester73

Middle of nowhere for JJ!

Hastings, east sussex.

14. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Not all of us do, but there are always going to be very mixed opinions depending on who has seen what of any given art.

15. Elitistjester73

Doubts

I'm beginning to have doubts over the TJF, outside this site and on the net generally the TJF come in for some real stick with most viewing it as either McDojo / Mickey Mouse in terms of content/training/effectiveness you name it. It's a shame that I really want to learn JJ and all I've got as a choice is TJF.

There will be an avalanche of abuse for what I'm about to say but is judo an effective SD method against strikes/kicks/punches I'm ignorant of what training they do or application apart for what I've seen on the Olympics.