Glasses - Shotokan Karate or Tai Chi?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Shahe, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Shahe

Shahe New Member

Okay, so I'm starting Warwick next week, and really want to pick up a martial art. I'm most interested in Shotokan Karate, since it's 3 lessons a week, all in the evening, with no lecture clashes which is perfect. Also interested in Tai Chi, another club. But I wear glasses and can't see at all without them, very blurry. Just wondering which of these, if either, I can train whilst wearing my glasses, or will it simply be too physical? Thanks.

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Plenty of people train in glasses , explain the situation to the teacher , and they should be able to accommodate you.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

However, as someone with terrible eyesight who trained for 15+ years taking glasses on and off, continuous wear contact lenses will change your life.

4. Shahe

Shahe New Member

I've thought about this, but then the terrible though of what if you get hit in the face potentially and your contact tore apart! :eek: Maybe that's just be being paranoid haha, I definitely will purchase contacts though, if it comes to it.

5. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I'm lucky enough that my eyesight isn't too bad without wearing my glasses. I wear contacts if I know that I'll be doing something that will involve a lot of sparring or similar. But have done forms and pad work with glasses on no problems.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I wear daily disposables and have had the occasional one come out of my eye on the end of someone's sparring glove, but it's not painful and not a problem. You'd want to wear soft ones certainly.

Mitch

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

First of all, commiserations on being sent to Coventry. You must have done something truly awful in a past life.

Secondly, you'll be fine. How bad is your eyesight without glasses? Unless it's really really bad, you shouldn't need them.

8. Shahe

Shahe New Member

Okay, that's reassuring :)

My eyes are pretty terrible so I'm not sure if that's an option, daily disposables.

LOOOOOL Brilliant :p Warwick campus is beautiful! I'll be damned if I ever step foot in Coventry :p My eyes are really bad, like, take off my glasses and cant read the computer unless my face is right next to it bad.

9. Mitch

I'm -5.00 and -4.50, no probs with the dailies, but I know it can be a problem for some and they aren't cheap.

In your shoes as an impoverished student I'd be tempted to get some contacts, then also get some disposables cheaply from the internet and only use them for sparring, saving your main ones for everyday use.

Just a thought :)

Mitch

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Soft contact lenses are a much safer option than hard glasses. I have horrific eyesight (-17) and have never had a problem training in contacts. If your prescription is very bad, you may not be able to get daily, or even monthly, disposables, but do consider the option of wearing lenses full time. My lenses last me around 2 years as long as I'm meticulous about cleaning them and general hygiene.

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I started doing karate in glasses but it's not ideal. Even just doing basics and warm ups etc, your nose sweats and your glasses start to slide down your face. Mixed with sharp turns and fast movements and there's always a danger of them just flying off.

I've been wearing contact lenses to do karate for the last 10 years though, and found it to be a great solution. I've only once had to duck out of class to find a lense that had gone floating off and that was due to me rubbing my eye rather than anything strictly karate related.

The most comfortable thing I've found has been daily disposables.

12. Mitch

Beautiful and terrible eyesight?

Come spend some time with El Mitcho, a tall, handsome stallion of a man whose rugged good looks are legendary!

Mitch :D

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Reminds me of the joke about the zebra who walks up to a stallion and asks, "what do you do for a living?"

"Take of those pyjamas and I'll show you what I do", replies the stallion.

14. Shahe

Shahe New Member

Had my first Tai Chi lesson yesterday, it was fantastic, I'm learning Wu style from guy whose teacher was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Frantzis he says he was a pretty lethal fighter back in his day, and learned from the best in China, what do you guys think? I learnt the first half of some form for my first lesson, and relaxing the body etc. can't wait for the next lesson :D My teacher (Joe) is really awesome too.

Might pick up Karate also, if I can wear my glasses and do the kumite stuff, we'll see :)

15. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

While Bruce is less than popular with some no one who trained with him doubted his ability to bring it.He has good stuff-whether that means where you're learning is going to develop real martial skills will depend on what your instructor learned and his personal predilections.

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Just out of interest, do you know what Bruce Frantzis's lineage is in the Wu style? I had a look at him doing the short form on his website, and it looks nothing like I've seen before. I had a little poke around, but I couldn't find any clue. (I'm not questioning whether he is authentic or not, I'm just genuinely curious.)

17. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

As a dude that can't see 6 inches in front of his face, you would be surprised just how much you can pick up on actually, even in striking arts (I practice Karate and - more recently - kickboxing).

@ OP - you should be fine with either art. The main skill you will need to develop is to learn to distinguish colours and blurry movement. Once you get reasonable at that, you'd be surprised just how much you can figure out.

Occasionally though you might need to chat to the instructor before/after class to query specific points mind.

18. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

As a martial artist who's as blind as a bat, I've never had a problem. For a typical class of kata and technique drills, glasses should be fine :) for sparring or free grappling I would definitely recommend contacts. I've never had any problems with them during a match; I think glasses are more likely to give you trouble if you're sparring than contacts would.

19. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Bruce's teacher,Liu, was a student of Wu,C-c.

Doesn't look like a radically different variant to me,tho' Bruce makes his kua work very visible.Foot replacement is the most obvious thing I see,which may simply be an older method that's not done so much these days.BUT,If you saw him or someone who knows how really do it,not for a demo vid--I can't even describe it,the joint work is..... different looking.Very.

I don't know if Liu submitted to the demand for standardization from Wu's daughter and Ma.Many didn't and I wouldn't be surprised if Liu didn't.

20. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I find it strange just how much difference has crept into the way people do a form within such a relatively short time. If Bruce Frantzis is two 'generatuions' removed from WCC, then it's fascinating to see just how different his form is from WCC's! (I'm not saying it's 'bad', just that it's outwardly very different.) Not just the way that he executes each 'move', but the actual moves themselves. I didn't watch the whole clip, but almost from the very start I didn't recognise his form at all.

I wonder if he changed the form himself, or if his teacher did?