Confused Noob looking for advice where to start

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Pieman, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Pieman

Pieman Valued Member

Hi :D

I have been looking around the internet and reading about lot of martial arts the last couple of months I am 35 never done martial arts before, I am looking for something to get me in shape, but just as interested in something that develops you in other ways, improving the mind/spirit (but no tree hugging :love:)

I am located in SW London (Putney / Richmond) but I also commute into London Bridge / Waterloo (or indeed I can work from Epsom if there somewhere out that way) so happy to divert to a school on way to/from work.

I was pretty interested in Hapkido (looked at TKD but too many flashy kicks for my taste) the two places I have found are http://www.skma.co.uk/ and the other is http://www.changshapkido.net/ can't get good info on the quality of either place at best I have seen are mixed reports.

I really like the look of BJJ and there are couple of Gracie venues, only thing puts me off is the pretty high monthly cost and would like to learn something with a bit of a stand up game (kicking / punching/joint manipulation/pressure points :evil:) and BJJ doesn't cover the softer side? - but guess I could pick up a second art later on to compliment BJJ to meet the other needs, although I see that some of the places offer Judo classes which would be really cool to learn.

Finally I could attend the Budokwai - I thought Hontai Yoshin Ryu Ju-Jutsu looked really interesting but once a week is not going to get me fit, I guess I could do Judo/Karate there also, but not sure on what they think of people mixing / cross training.

So is there something I missed that actually has all of this that I am totally over looking? Or should I just go visit a Gracie school and the Budokwai (I notice they do BJJ to, any one know if its any good?)...I think I almost answered my own question, but then I am a MA noob so opinions of those that know would be gratefully received. :thinking: :argue:

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Budokwai.

Job done.

Fitness can be worked on outside of class as can most of everything else you study.

Keep in mind that Hontai Yoshin Ryu will be a big commitment in many ways, Hontai Yoshin Ryu and Judo would end up being a nice mix as long as you can keep them separate in your head until you get grounded in one or the other.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  3. Dean Winchester

With all that said it would probably serve you well to simply go and try out a few classes in your area.

Just see what clicks and have a good chat, after that maybe come back here and let us know what you think.

4. Pieman

Pieman Valued Member

What sort of commitment are we talking about here? Something like needing to go to Japan to do gradings or thousands of £ for equipment or whatnot would be pretty big barrier to entry :p

5. lost1

lost1 New Member

I would have to say look around and try a few classes at some different schools and dojos like stated above. There are some training facilities out there that offer BJJ and kickboxing classes on different days of the week. You also have to feel out what defines you more as far as traditional schools vs (open or more modern ) schools. There are some dojos that there is alot of standing at attention, formal katas and weapons technique as well as schools that focus on mixed martial arts where katas and weapons arent even taught. You have to find your liking and obviously what is going to meet your budget..Good Luck in your endeavors...

6. mattt

mattt Valued Member

You don't train for gradings, in Japan or elsewhere- you train to learn. Your costs should be no more than a pair or pijamas and whatever the class costs. I imagine, based on the history of that school coupled with a present day recommendation that the teachers there can teach - which is what you need.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  7. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

A couple of recs for ya. I think this qualifies as a good MA, it will get you in shape, good for mind and spirit as attested by all its practitioners AND there are places that wont charge an arm and leg, last I heard.

Islington Boxing Club ( used to be called Islington Boys Club ). They've been around for a while and you've access to Archway Tube and Crouch Hill Overground.

http://www.islingtonboxingclub.org/

Then there's Left Hook located 1 Martha Street, Shadwell, London E1 2PX

Then, right in the south - Brixton is Miguel's Boxing Gym.

http://www.miguelsboxinggym.com/

8. Pieman

Pieman Valued Member

Thanks for the replies. I am definitely going to get myself down to Budokwai and one of the Gracie bjj venues. I think I am better off starting something as its only way I am going to know if its something I can do for the long haul. Boxing is not something I honestly looked at did a bit of this in my teens, it ticks the fitness box but don't think it has the depth complexity I am looking for.

9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

My normal advice is as follows:

1. Figure out what you are looking for, e.g. mostly fitness or self defense or tournaments or whatever.

2. Take a look and find out what schools are within your walking/driving reach (comfortably)

3. Stop in to each one and speak to the instructor. Tell him/her what you are looking for and see if they can accommodate you. Then see if you can do a trial (free) class or a week. Try it out

4. Check a few places and when you come across one that seems to fit what you want, are within distance and budget, and seem to have a good atmosphere, sign up and enjoy.

10. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Don't rule out TKD mate. I started TKD a few months ago at the age of 34. Desperate to compete and as a result my body conditioning is getting better. It has made me watch what i eat and drink, i now smoke less and am almost ready to give up. Training is pretty intensive and the kicks are very pretty and i'd say Competitively priced.

Baza

11. Pieman

Pieman Valued Member

I did look at TKD - there are a lot of places for it in London, my boss is a 1st Dan in TKD, think the ITF (not the sport sort) didn't do him much good though poor sod has messed up knees now although not sure how related that is to MA :eek: I would love to do Hapkido - my understanding is HKD is more rounded i.e. kicking, striking, throws, locks etc - I guess there is much same in TKD guess I would be looking for non-sport flavor of some sort.

I am currently edging toward BJJ + Judo -> having working out what multiple visits a week adds upto over a month - Gracie is not that expensive as it first appeared (Can do BJJ + Karate / Judo at Budokwai I am guessing you can't go wrong doing Judo there with their track record).

At this rate my Mrs is going to think I have another women on the go :fight2:

12. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Any striking art can mess your knees up. It depends on how the art is practised. Hopefully one of the more experienced posters can give you some pointers on how to maintain good joint condition.

A basic rule is that if you have to do kicks at full power into thin air you are likely to hyperextend your leg. Which is bad.

13. Dean Winchester

Just get a new wife now, it'll save you hassle in the future.

:D

14. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

But when she see the positive effects on confidence, that take-care-of-business attitude that women crave from us, not to mention the health benefits, she be so glad of it.

Just don't mention any of these yet. Expectation has a way of souring the field before you've planted the seed :)thinking::dunno:) or whatever...

15. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

Do Hapkido!

But in all seriousness, check out the classes, see what you like best and what jives with you. Most of the time the instructor matters more than the art. Tell us how it goes

16. Pieman

Pieman Valued Member

On the Hapkido front - I found SKMA are doing classes right over the road from where I work so has to be worth a look, Changs is about 20mins away from the office so I guess it will come down to the teacher.

I believe London BJJ is in the same location as SKMA classes but don't see Judo on offer as in the other Gracie school.

I am amazed there are these places right on my door step...