Kuji-in and Kuji-kiri ... long but worth it

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Soul Reaver, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver New Member

Salutations.

I`ve recently read an old topic named "rin pyo toh sha kai chin retsu sai zen" about what Mugen called the "seals"....

And I thought I`d clear things up a bit, since none of the answers got even close to their true meaning.

FIrst off, the nine kanji (the so-called "kuji") were at first numerals, but have since been altered by many religious cults and Ninpo. The act of reciting them outloud is believed by many to drive away evil forces and cancel curses and other such forces. This is called "Kujikiri".

The "seals" he mentions however (and that`s as good a description as any) are a form of "evocation" spell to conjure to oneself the nine levels of power the ninja (especially Iga Ryu) believed in. These are called "kuji-in" and are a collection of 81 hand seals that are grouped 9 by 9. Their respective meanings are:

RIN - Strength of Body and Mind
    PYO - Channeling of Energy (a.k.a. Kyo)
    TOH - Harmony with the Universe
    SHA - Healing of self and others
    KAI - Danger Sense
    CHIN - Percieving of Thoughts (a.k.a. JIN)
    RETSU - Distortion of Space and Time
    ZAI - Control over The Elements
    ZEN - Enlightenment

Here is a brief description of the seals, quoted from a website that are not absolutely accurate, but are fairly reliable:

"

The legendary Kuji~In
    (Kuji~Kiri can be found here)
    The nine finger "cuts" that give the Ninja their power.

Although believed to be a Ninja secret the Kuji~In was also used by the Samurai. Where it came from no one is sure but it does have similarities to Hindu and Tibetan Mundras. The Kuji~In is more a way of concentrating the mind than weaving magic with ones hands despite many Sensei and Movie companies attempts to prove otherwise.

Below you will find a series of pictures showing the hand and finger positions for the "popularised" version of the Ninja Kuji~In. There are several different versions of these finger symbols that are used by the Ninja and Samurai. I have chosen only to show the basic form as I believe the secret forms should only be passed on to ones highest ranked students.
    It should be stressed that it is more important to get the mind correct than it is to have the exact finger positions.
    Each cut represents one of the Nine levels of power. I leave it to the student to decide what is meant by "power" but it has been proven to me time and time again that as a student progresses so does his level of thinking. I will hint at this during the description of each cut."

[​IMG]

RIN
    STRENGTH OF MIND AND BODY
    At first this may appear to be physical strength and mental intellect but maybe we can think of this as being physically well and having a positive outlook.
    Middle fingers extended, others interlocked

[​IMG]

KYO
    DIRECTION OF ENERGY
    To begin this may seem to refer to directing your energies into work but later it could be that you see it as a way of directing your internal energy to increase your inner power.
    Index fingers and thumbs extended, middle fingers curled over index fingers. Others interlocked

[​IMG]

TOH
    HARMONY WITH THE UNIVERSE
    This can work on many levels from learning to live in peace with mankind and the animal kingdom to being at one with yourself.
    Last two fingers extended to form a V (tips touching). Thumbs extended, others interlocked

[​IMG]

SHA
    HEALING OF SELF AND OTHERS
    The ability to heel is more powerful than the ability to kill.When you sense your inner power you will no longer succumb to viruses and other ailments.A word to those that would use their powers to harm others
    "It is easy to kill a man, but could you watch one die?"
    Index fingers and thumbs extended, others interlocked

[​IMG]

KAI
    PREMONITION OF DANGER
    If this cut is fully achieved you may find that you can feel the emotions of others (even at a distance) which can aid in knowing how others will react in a given situation.
    All fingers interlocked

[​IMG]

JIN
    KNOWING THOUGHTS OF OTHERS
    I believe that this cut increases your ability to "feel" the thoughts of others. When your are adept at this power you can hide your thoughts and feelings from others.
    All fingers interlocked inwards

[​IMG]

RETSU
    MASTERY OF SPACE AND TIME
    Think of this...Have you ever noticed how the day has passed quickly for others but has taken an age for you? Everybody has the ability to control their own "time" With this power one could use it to easily defeat an opponent.
    Index finger of left hand pointing up with the fingers of the right hand curling round it. The thumb of the right hand should be pressed against the outside edge of the nail on the index finger of the left hand).

[​IMG]

ZAI
    CONTROL OF THE ELEMENTS OF NATURE
    Can one truly control nature? Maybe the real answer is that a Ninja understands nature and works with it.
    Fingers outspread, palms out. Index fingers and thumbs touching

[​IMG]

ZEN
    ENLIGHTENMENT
    Know yourself before you ask "Who are you?"
    Right hand covering Left hand. Thumb tips touching

By Soul Reaver... a drifter in the sands of time...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2004
  2. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

not entirely accurate indeed

If you are going to quote a website, maybe you should give the source address, ya know, to avoid being accused of plagiarism.

That stuff looks very familiar, and I believe I saw it on a website that also had this line, "Note: Please DO NOT use this part of my web site or the graphics on any other web site."

I'm sure Jim Gould is around here somewhere, may want to ask him about it.

:cool:

3. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver New Member

Perhaps you`re right. Here`s the site: http://shell.world-net.co.nz/~jimgould/

Dont know who Jim Gould is though.

Anyway, the seals provided there are the most commonly known and have been used in many things from trainning to the openning theme of "Go Go FIve" (a kind of power-rangers-like japanese tv series for kids) and are thus no real secret. The true seals are a little different, some slightly, some drastically altered. I myself have had access only to one variation of the kuji-in set, but know of the existence of the other seven.

Perhaps someday I`ll have the honor of learning those?
    WHo knows, but for now, I`ll stick with what I know, and if anyone has a greater knowledge I humbly ask: Enlighten me if you find me ignorant.

Thanks.

4. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

this site may be a bit more accurate

http://www.geocities.com/fascin8or/jsp_kuji.htm

I recommend doing a search for Mikkyo / Buddhism and then finding info on kuji, rather than get information about religion from a martial arts website.

I'll see what else I can dig up.

"Enlighten me if you find me ignorant."

I cannot consider those that seek enlightenment to be ignorant.

Gambatte kudasai!

5. JimGould

JimGould New Member

I think that the web site also states that 'this is the popularised version' Maybe Jim Gould means that we should use this as a spring board to seek the truth. Your explanation of Kuji-Kiri is wrong BTW ;)

Do not forget that this is a Samurai Art and NOT A ninja one. Oh yes and plagiarism is fine if you remember the APA form of referencing ;)

6. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

I dont think things like this should be shown on the net, it gives all the freaks out there an opportunity to say they are ninja because they KNOW finger weaving.

Bit irresponsible i think, but thats only my opinion!

7. khafra

khafra New Member

And freaks out there having an overly high opinion of themselves hurts you how?

Been thinking about it a bit, lately--if martial artists are to care more about substance than image, and free from constraints of ego, wannabe's, however successful they are at self-delusion, simply shouldn't be a concern.

8. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

JimGould: "Do not forget that this is a Samurai Art and NOT A ninja one."

Wrong. Kuji is neither a samurai art nor a ninja art, it is a buddhist spiritual practice. Those samurai that also happened to be buddhists (or at least appreciated some of the philosophy) may have used kuji, same goes for ninja.

" Oh yes and plagiarism is fine if you remember the APA form of referencing "

Well, if you use any form of referencing, it is no longer plagiarism. And I prefer MLA over APA myself.

Anyhoo . . . if you're going to copy text from somewhere, give credit to the author in some form or another. It's just the right thing to do.

9. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

This hurts the art because there are schools like the Bujinkan Genbukan etc and other ninja schools who get kids coming to the door reading things like that with high expectations, i would'nt even dream of trying to learn something like that until i well well up the dan scale, this is the stuff of the seniors. Its not about people getting high opinions of themselves, its about some 14 yr old kid who does karate reading this pretending he is a ninja and either people laughing at him or the ninja or giving him a real beating for been a bellend!

When we do recruitment for our club, the first few lessons we do is drumming into these people what they are really doing and to actually get rid of there ego and wannnabe perspective, thats why it is damaging.

10. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver New Member

Damaging to the one in question, not the school per se.

That shouldn`t be a concern if you`re sure of what you`re doing. The fact that others may be missing the greater meaning of an art doesn`t mean anything to the real practitioners.

As in Helloween`s song "Rise and Fall" :
    "Sometimes you`re wrong by some things you have done
    You see fate is too strong, nothing`s won

No use for a fight, if you`re not acting right you`ll be
    Cut down to size like a lie."

So just let it be...
    And if people give less credit to ninjutsu practioners, it just means they`ll get a greater beating from underestimating their foes if combat arises.

Be true to your path, for it is yours and yours alone to walk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surrounded by night I`ve been offered insight, there is none but the sin of pride.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2004
  11. Rus

Rus New Member

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what album is that on please? I thought I'd heard everything Metallica had done, but I guess not!

12. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver New Member

Sorry, my mistake, it's actually from Helloween's "Keeper of The Seven Keys" album, track name's Rise & Fall...

But let's keep the focus on the topic at hand, shall we?
    Sorry for the bad reference...
    I'll edit it right away...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2004
  13. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

damaging to the art

Greg Chapman: "This hurts the art because there are schools like the Bujinkan Genbukan etc and other ninja schools who get kids coming to the door reading things like that with high expectations ..."

Soul Reaver is right on that one. I wouldn't worry about anything giving the true art of ninjutsu a bad name. Those in the know, know; those that don't, don't matter.

It's like people talking about pollution harming the planet. Believe me, the planet is just fine, it's all us poor animals that are going to suffer.

So what if people come to the art with high expectations? They should be! If they get disappointed, then they weren't meant to learn ninjutsu in the first place. If some 14 yr. old karate-kid wants to think he's a ninja 'cause he saw some cool-looking stuff on a website . . . let him play, he's a kid. Dojo's shouldn't be recruiting the immature anyway.

I was a buddhist before I was a martial artist. I've used hand-mudras, chanted mantras, and focused my mind with certain thought patterns long before starting ninjutsu. The fundamentals of kuji really aren't all that strange once you understand how it's supposed to work, and you don't have to be a ninja master to learn it. Now, learning how to use it to improve my ninjutsu skills is something I would rather save until after I actually know more about ninjutsu skills.

If you are worried about things giving ninjutsu a bad name, maybe it is because you connect yourself with the art, and you don't want to look bad yourself. This is defending your own ego, not defending the art.

14. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

We used this hand postion to mediate before and after class. however, the other Positions aren't taught yet at my level.

15. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

on a semi related topic. The new-ish ninja anime naruto use hand seals to mould their chakura and perform spells or moves, it's atchually quite a good take on the whole ninja seal thing...
    anyways thats i have to say on the matter except we do the retsu in kami no kata, and were basically told not to do any other hand seals except that and a wecome one untill we knew what they all ment :)

16. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver New Member

Yes, it is unwise to use what you dont understand... USA could think about it once in a while before melting their own Marine Corps ships along with a small island to test the H-Bomb in the middle of the pacific.......

But that`s got nothing to do with ninjutsu, and all in all, we all have something to learn...

I, for one, am an eternal student. The quest for enlightenment is long and tiresome, but the benefits far outweight the hardships. Remember that no matter how dark the night, the rising sun will always greet your journey`s end.

As someone once told me: "There are two paths in life. One of them is easy. And the only reward to that path is the fact that it`s easy."

Keep posting people, let`s all share what little knowledge we have, and try to support eachother through the hardships ahead. Seeya!

17. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

true enough...
    have to say i love you av soul reaver... kakashi's my man ;)

18. JimGould

JimGould New Member

"Wrong. Kuji is neither a samurai art nor a ninja art, it is a buddhist spiritual practice"

No, sorry I was right we were talking about Ninjutsu arts I believe.
    You are however correct in saying that this comes from the Buddhist teachings. I have been a Buddhist for 25 years so I know a small amount about this subject.

19. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver New Member

Too bad it`s just the avatar that looks cool...

Man, I wish I had a Sharingan...

Heheheh...

20. Vanir

Vanir lost my sidhe

aesthetic or esoteric

As someone once told me: "There are two paths in life. One of them is easy. And the only reward to that path is the fact that it`s easy."
    Actually I'd say myself, one is easy, the other you've no choice about.

My only real interest in the subject is surviving severe environments I am frequently subject to and have been for nearly twenty years, with my mind intact.
    Suffered a terrible set back a little under ten years ago. If kuji no in is little more than making butterfly shapes with shadows on the wall and it helps me I'll try to use it and I don't care if I've got to read it out of a book and make up the rest or go to a comprehensive website and fill in the blanks from there, I'd really rather get a little help but I can't exactly go through life waiting on favours when violence and physical threat is tangible. And I spend frequent periods being unable to properly feed myself so I don't think I'll be jumping on any planes to go "study under a master."
    Don't worry I also have my moments when I've got plenty of cash coming in, but I'm getting a little pessimistic I can make such situations at all lasting by my age.

I won't not notice when something's placebo but will readily utilize anything ethical which works. I have two vital goals to be addressed:the consecutive potential for threatening surroundings and damage already suffered.
    And you can't improve the circumstances of your life, regardless how you initially landed there without a maintained foundation in clarity.

I have no interest, nor ever had in religion, fanaticism, fundamentalism, cultism, political activism nor any form of extreemism. Kuji no in makes a promise that it may or may not deliver.

Occaisionally something happens to you, however which just stands out.
    The pronounced statement in front of the other students, by a young, intelligent-looking Japanese waitress I was ordering coffee from, during an after dojo get together with my last school,
    "You're welcome."
    She held my stare as she'd said that, beautiful but I was certain we were talking something far more cultural. There was exquisite definition in the first word, as a couple of other students I don't think were too sure about me stood beside.
    My suffering head is well worth that one experience.

I taught myself a couple of Inton skills (as best I could from cadet training and Hayes' handbooks) within a few sittings in youth. The reasoning was simple, at 50kg, in the places I was stuck in I couldn't afford to fail. People ended up maimed, I had to be able to walk around a corner and literally disappear. So I learned to. At night, I could stand one metre from you, in front of a tree and you'd never know I was there. You couldn't even feel it.
    And that was when my friend and I were looking for each other.
    Actually a pretty powerful arsenal for those assertive enough to use it (please be ethical in all things).

So I have no problem whatsoever with dojos formally instructing kuji kiri, mikkyo or any other discipline but yeah, sensei better know what they're talking about relates to and how. Don't get any genuine kids busted up out there and don't go wasting my time, which is beginning to amount to the same thing.
    And if it's no more applicable than bible-study, say so. I'll go learn psychiatry from accredited professionals and term it as I see fit.