Best self-defense MA

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by MAnoobie, Jun 10, 2013.

1. MAnoobie

MAnoobie New Member

Hello, I'm looking to learn a Martial Arts for self-defense. But, I'm not sure what i want to learn yet. I don't want to learn it for the sport of it. I want it to keep me in-shape and to have something to fall back on when i can't talk myself out of the fight. I'm not a violent person and i haven't been in a fight. But, the world keeps getting more and more violent. Besides everyone now seems to be looking for a fight. So, any suggestions/opinions on what i should look into?

Thank you.

2. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

It's more about the teacher and how they train than the art. Try out schools in your area and see which one you like the best. Most schools will let you try a free class or two.

3. MAnoobie

MAnoobie New Member

Thank you for your reply.

But, most places tend to teach a lot of flashy stuff you would never use in self-defense. I'm looking for a to the point kinda thing. I'm not sure on how to explain it.

4. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

And you won't know which place is which untill you try them out.

5. Kave

Kave Lunatic

The best self-defense is learning to stay out of dangerous situations. It sounds like you are actually wanting to learn how to fight, and for that the sports arts such as Boxing, MMA, Muay Thai and Judo are pretty good. For weapons work, Filipino martial arts have some good stuff. Most classes that specifically teach self-defense are pretty rubbish, but there are a few excellent ones. Perhaps you should ask someone like jwt if he recommends anyone in your area.

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'd first look at what gyms are in the area, with a focus on martial arts that train alive (like boxing, judo, etc., etc.). Then I'd go to each gym, try out there martial arts and see which one you enjoy training the most, or which you'd like to get good at.

7. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I would look at a hard style and a softer style such as Aikido or Hapkido. For the hard style I would look at something very simple. I am a huge fan of boxing and many of the guys here, even the very experienced ones will tell you that even a decent boxer is a style they would less perfer to fight if it came down to it.

8. GojuBrian

GojuBrian Valued Member

Don't look for a particular style, look for a particular way of training.

For what you described you want realistic training. Learn how to fight from all ranges from striking distance to clinch to ground and back. Look for a group that focuses on training realistically, no theories, no tall tales, but stuff that really works and you can TEST. Stay away from kata centered, rank centered, tournament centered places.
    Good luck in your search!

9. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

I have to agree completely with Kave. Self defense is about avoiding problems. The best thing for self defense is a concealed carry license and a fully loaded .45.

Learning how to fight is a totally different thing. Unfortunately, a great many martial artists equate learning how to fight with self defense, rather than separating the two. Most of these folks have been in a fight or two, but have never actually been in a true self defence situation.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Where are you based for starters?

Secondly - as so many others here have alluded too - self defence and martial arts are NOT the same thing.

If a school its to meet all your criteria in one place (and these are hard to find) it needs to address "Hard skills" and "Soft Skills"

"Soft" includes Tactical Communication, Situational Awareness, Pre Fight Ritual, In Fight Issues, Post Fight Consequences, Legal Ramifications and Considerations and Tactical Choices coupled with some level of Use of Force Continuum

The techniques themselves are the "hard skills" part and regardless of the style you should test them under pressure at some point be that drilling or sparring. Although you say "no sport" you will find sport arts drill high level applications against uncooperative opponents as part of their program - Muay Thai, Boxing, Judo, Wrestling, MMA et al drill full out and will knock the stuffing out of most "self defence only" practioners for that reason alone

If your choices are "hard skill" only, then you can always address the other issues yourself - "Verbal Judo" is a good book/course, Peter Consterdine and Geoff Thompson have exceptional material out there too.

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Depends on what you mean by kata centred.

12. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

13. MAnoobie

MAnoobie New Member

Thank you for all of your responses!

It seems ill be checking out the MA gyms around me and seeing what i like. I'm just worried that ill find a place that teaches something i like and i wont be able to know if they teach it well or not.

Like dave said
    I like to think of myself as a fast learner and im fully dedicated to learn. So i'm not worried about that.

I'm based in Central Florida.

I know that the best self defense is avoiding bad situations. I do a very good job of avoiding them Hints why ive never been in a real fight. It's just i can't help but think what i would be if talking my self out of a fight or a good situation goes bad. What am i gonna do then. I'm 22 and 5'7 and about 130lbs. I'm not exactly intimidating. So id like to know I'm not gonna get beat up.

14. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Suggestion:

Look into a few places and come back here posting those places.

We have fine members here who will give you a good feedback-response

15. MAnoobie

MAnoobie New Member

I went to this link and read everything he said.
    Wow, its scary in a way to think thats how things work now. Thanks for linking this its something im going to read more about. I'll check out the other links when i have time as well. Thank you.

16. MAnoobie

MAnoobie New Member

Thank you i will definitely do that.
    I just made this account its it seems to be quite the successful life choice. :D

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Actually the world, western world in particular, is getting less violent.
    What's increasing is our perception, reporting and fear of violence so that it seems to be on the up.

Learning some basic SD skills, increasing your awareness and getting some solid alive/sporting training is still very worthwhile though.

My advice to any new starter is...

1: Visit as many places as you can and get a sample lesson from each. I'd be very wary of anywhere that didn't offer at least one free session and tried to sign you up and get you paying right away.
    2: Pick the place that feels right to you, and where you can train regularly, and go for it. (Bold bit is important)
    3: Don't worry if what you are doing is right for you at this stage. As a beginner even a mediocre place will at least give you a better idea of what martial arts is all about.
    4: Train for a year or so. Don't think about things too much. Try and absorb stuff and get a handle on what you are doing.
    5: With your foundation of a years worth of training go back and visit different places again. You'll be better placed to see if you should stay put or swap to a different club.
    6: Hopefully you picked the right club the first time and can stay there knowing you like what they offer.
    7: If you find somewhere better train there instead knowing you only invested a year of training at the old place.
    8: Don't regret training somewhere you later work isn't for you because learning you don't want a certain thing is still learning.

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I know John Riddle in Boca Raton very well and highly recommend him if he is anywhere near you

19. MAnoobie

MAnoobie New Member

Yea i'll try and see if any places near me have the free session and try them all out. I'll make another post of my findings and what i seen and they told me so i can get some opinions on the places before i actually decide.

and Hannibal i checked out how far he is from me he's quite the ride he's about 2.5 hours away. Thank you though.

Thanks to everyone for there posts helping me out. :D