Fasting

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by matveimediaarts, May 21, 2013.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

What are your thoughts on occasional fasting? Some trainers do it weekly, others occasionally, other never. I've never tried it because I'm trying to gain weight at the moment. I might try it someday when I reach my current fitness goal. Thanks! (if you can link to some literature on the subject, I'd appreciate it)

2. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I do it every Friday during Lent, no meat ^^.

I don't know, I'd prefer eating things in moderation rather than cutting things out for a while. From experience, when I cut things out, when I finally can get my "cheat" I eat so much that I might as well have not cut it out in the first place because before I cut it out, I ate less of it. I admire those who can fast, it takes a lot of self control and perseverance.

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i usually fast for spiritual purposes. i do it to curb my selfishness and to give me clarity to my "intention". my fasts are usually a deprivation of something. like before one retreat i gave up solid food. before another retreat, i consumed only bread and water. these fast would usually last one whole month. it gives me spiritual strength.

nutritionally it is not good. it is a dumb thing to do from a fitness perspective.

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

5. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I fast whenever I sleep, I usually break if when I wake.

6. benkei

benkei Valued Member

I fast quite regularly. Usually not a full 24 hours fast, more the 16-18 hour leangains type fast. I don't force it, if I don't feel hungry for breakfast (which generally happens if I eat pizza or something the night before) I won't eat til lunch at 2pm. People make too big a deal about missing a meal here and there.

7. shootodog

8. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I think the easiest version mentioned on the show is the 5:2 diet, a few people I work with do it, seems pretty easy to stick to. Not really sure how much benefit they get from it, but some have lost some weight on it. If you Google "5:2 diet", there is quite a bit more info online.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i come from a very religious greek orthodox family where we ate no meat during the entirety of lent; there are also several other fasting periods in this sect of christianity. i don't get it personally, but i'm atheist so i don't get a lot of things about why people do religious things.

but barring religious reasons, i also don't get it from a health or fitness perspective. just eat the right amount to keep your body healthy, whatever caloric amount that may be. i've found that i need less than 2000 calories to get the energy i need and to maintain proper weight. but that's just me and my metabolism.

10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

In light of growing evidence for health benefits, the fact that fasting is common in many religions becomes very intriguing indeed, IMO.

11. Giovanni

cool. thanks for the article. quickly read it over and found this...

so i'm just wondering if/when/what proper studies are going to show. addendum....take that back. there are actually some studies out there. i'll look into them when i have more time.

do i think westerners specifically eat too much? hell yes! but i'll have to reserve judgment on fasting versus just eating right when i see some stats.

cheers.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  12. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I fast for 12 hours at a time once a month and some times 24 hours maybe 2x a year.
    It seems to help me clear my system and i often pray and meditate during a fast.
    Not trying to sell religion but the motto has been starve the flesh feed the Spirit.

Frankly most western diets are so high in calories that most people are way over fed. A fast once in a while can do people good. A fast can also be only fruit, or only fluids. It doesnt mean a total non eating affair.

For instance, i sometimes simmer veggies(of which i hate...lol) for a few hours and drink only the broth for the day and eat at night. That is one way to fast an 8 hour day or 12.

13. Giovanni

yes, i agree, westerners eat too much.

this is what i'm wondering. is it more efficacious for your health and/or longevity to occasionally fast? or, to just eat correctly over your lifetime? i just wonder if anyone has done a long-term study on this. for instance, we know that a mostly plant-based diet is better for you than a meat-based or highly-processed-food diet. is there a study about fasting done over time? and what do the current studies say?

14. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

15. shootodog

So how exactly do I do this when my day starts with an 8km run on 3 hill? yes, daily. it is my 'me' time and my meditation time and my prayer time rolled into roughly an hour or so.

16. shootodog

17. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I fast sometimes just because i dont want to eat.
    Why?
    No clue.
    Sometimes in warm weather i just am not hungry, so i simply dont eat.

18. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

This sounds similar to a diet that was in one particular tabloid I get at the weekend. Going by the name of the 8 hour diet. You pick an 8 hour window in the day and you can apparently eat what you like, as much as you like in that time. The rest of the 24 hour day you fast. Apparently it works..

I'm not sure if it's something I could get into, but it does sound quite interesting. The Mrs said she has come across a few people who swear by a similar model, and that it works for them.

I just need to get back to any kind of sensible diet right now, my bum looks really big in this.

19. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

That sounds pretty reasonable. I think this sort of diet would work as it would maintain a higher metabolic rate during periods of eating, though not sure if it would have an effect on the IGF-1 protein, which I think is only affected by specific calorie restriction, or not, I don’t know.

Personally, I can’t be bothered with any dieting at the moment, it’s not like its summer, no one is gonna be seeing my bum anytime soon :(

20. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I'm led to believe that it's more to do with mental and psychological pursuits than anything physical or health related though.

Then again, who was it that said "healthy mind, healthy body"... darnit, did I get that the wrong way round ? :)