Choosing a martial arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by EricS, Feb 5, 2013.

1. EricS

EricS New Member

Hi everyone, I really need your help here.

I was wondering about learning a matrial art, and I looking for the one which will suit me.
    I'm in 12th grade, which mean next year I'm going to the army(In my country everyone have to go to the army in 18), so apparently, I have about 1 year for practicing in a dojo(and maybe continue after 3 years).
    I'm looking for hard MA, I want to spar, and I prefer something that practical "in the street"(I know that I won't be Bruce Lee, but I will be glad to learn some basic for self defence).
    In addition, it will be a great bonus to get in shape and some muscles.

I was thinking about Muay Thai, it look wonderful and I liked it, but I found just one dojo in my city which trains in a day I can't practice.
    My options are going to MT once a week and JJB\Kickboxing once a week, or maybe going to MMA(The problem is that I've heard that for MMA I have to train much more than one year), what do you think is the best option for me?

I'll really appriciate your help!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

do you have the link to the MMA club?

3. EricS

EricS New Member

It's in Hebrew, I guess that it won't help...

4. Mangosteen

i can use google translate!

MMA clubs are dependent on the instructors. most usually come from a Muay thai, bjj or wrestling background and have fought pro mma

they don't usually have "MMA" classes for beginners because those classes focus on combining skills from the other bjj or muay thai classes.

you need to make sure they have a decent legit pedigree in whatever style they claim to teach

5. EricS

EricS New Member

6. Mangosteen

both MMA schools look very good!
    see if you can get a trial class at each and talk to the instructors about your concerns, see which school you like.

honestly, it seems both schools are heavily bjj based but the second (amithakim) has a number of coaches in boxing and wrestling which will make them much more rounded.

the first school (pina-hadida) might be easier to learn at because the instructor has done a teaching degree and you will progress quicker.

you can learn different styles in an MMA format (because the skills between standup and ground are quite individual) at once as long as you train hard and consistently.

i would really go with the MMA clubs if i were you. lot's of higher belt BJJ guys, good MMA competitors and they are very talented.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Have you looked into krav maga?

8. Mangosteen

yeah krav maga!
    if you're in israel - sounds good!

9. EricS

EricS New Member

*I thought about krav maga(especially when the Israel defence force are uses it!) but I am interesting in sparring. And I guess that I won't use what I learn(like kicking the balls?).

My city is known for the best place for MMA in Israel, especially Pini Hadida's club :)
    I'm having doubts about MMA just cuz I'm not going to compete, so I don't know if BJJ will help me. In addition, as I understoond it, my limitted time isn't enough for the time MMA required.

10. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

If you have only one year to develop a skill that you might have to rely on to save your life one day. but you have only limited time to practice i would keep it simple.

Do boxing and get as much practical time as you can actually sparing.

Boxing will set you up nicely for any other art you want to do later and you are more likely to become a more effective fighter in the time given if you practice hitting with your hands and moving with your feet.

MMA take-downs and ground work are not suited to military or policing situations wear it is likely that you will encounter knives or multiple opponents.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

We have weapons to deal with those threats

MMA takedowns are emminently more useful in an LEO capacity than boxing

12. EricS

EricS New Member

*I'm not going to fight in the army.

Tom bayley- Do you mean classic boxing?
    I really don't interested in it, I want more tools to use(like kicks), that's why I chose Muay thai.
    But if I understand right, it's like choosing Muay Thai and Kickboxing. Practicing the MA I like while get in shape and improving my hits in kickboxing.

MMA sound very attractive to me, if the club will be based on standing(MT), but my limitted time is a problem for MMA.
    As I see it, is going ahead on one MA, MMA, for the whole year, twice a week in the club and hard work at home, or MT with JJB/Kickboxing and to divide my time between the to arts.

13. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

1 year of a contact striking art like MT or boxing or even MMA will be worth more and do more for you than a year of any other alternatives.

You could get in shape and be handy enough in a year.

14. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

If MMA is what attracts you, then go for it! I am sure you will have chances to train while you are serving. I'm sure you will find others in the IDF who have done other MA besides Krav Maga. When I was in the American military(USMC), there were many that had ranking in a wide variety of systems, some formally training others and some just looking to workout or spar. I wouldn't think the IDF would be too different in this regard.

15. EricS

EricS New Member

Thank you on the great comments!

I got motivated to go with MMA even with the limitted time, but I'm not interested in JJB that much as it take part in MMA, The MT is much more interesting for me. I guess I will call the club to ask how big the ground fight part there.

16. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

If your in Israel, do Krav Maga! Your in the homeland. Learn a few hundred ways to groin punch an attacker (or six)

17. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I have serious doubts about 'military' systems trained in a civilian context.

I've done some Krav and it's not all that good compared to solid boxing and grappling crosstraining simply by virtue of the way it's trained. It's cardio intensive and focuses a lot on mentality but the techniques are practiced in a way that is totally compliant and full force which I think is a horrible combination for both your learning and your training partners body respectively. The gun and knife stuff is mostly rubbish too. I wonder how much different a civilian class would be in Israel, if any different at all? :dunno:

18. EricS

EricS New Member

I have no doubts that learning krav maga will be a great tool, a teacher in my school who had practiced some MA told me that in Israel Krav Maga is the best art to learn.
    But I already said that it's not what I'm looking for, I'm looking for hard MA, striking, sparing.

*Did you know that Krav Maga mean "Contact Combat"? Krav= combat, Maga= contact.
    Just thought about that "Krav Maga" is from Hebrew and you don't understand it.

19. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I take your point. But martial arts are not magic. Your level of skill will depend on how many hours you train each technique.

So you are looking at a single greater level of skill in punching, or two lesser skills in kicking and punching. in practical terms I would recommend concetating on you punching skills and maybe put a little work into low kicks so you can break / hyperextend your oponents knees or kick away thier ballance.

But enthusiasm plays a big part in how well you engage with the lessons so if it's mui Ti you want, go for it.

The mma guy who seams to be suggesting that you can learn to defend yourself against multiple attackers or weapons on the floor in a year of two classes a week is either having a laugh or deluded.

If you have time take a look at some of the self defence threads. You will find much heated discussion about the subject of ground fighting.

20. EricS

EricS New Member

So if I understoond you, doesn't you recommend me to go to MMA?
    I don't think that I will go to classical boxing, but I agree that I should focus on punching more than kicking, and I will.
    If I go to MT and kickboxing(once a week for every art), is it the same point? In kickboxing I will imporve my punching and use it in MT.