New Year Resolutions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Frodocious, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

So as next year rapidly approaches, what are your resolutions/goals (fitness or otherwise) for the next 12 months?

Mine are mainly training related and are pretty much identical to last year, because injury prevented me achieving them.

I need to work more consistently at SMR, mobility and flexibility.
    I want to try to stay injury free - which will mean listening to my body when it starts to develop aches and pains!
    I want to get back to BJJ and Judo.
    I want to really improve my conditioning.

Lifting wise I'd like...

2x bodyweight deadlift/sumo deadlift
    1.5+ bodyweight squat
    Bodyweight powerclean and/or hang clean
    Bodyweight floor press/reduced range bench and (shoulder willing) full bench
    A 60 second advanced frogstand and the beginnings of a tuck planche

Get my bodyweight down below 112lbs

Get back to other sports I enjoy (including bouldering, snowboarding and, possible, horse riding)

Lifewise, I need to sort out my career goals and aspirations.

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I really need to start lifting. Since I started the proper mma classes at my gym I've noticed how being a scrawny guy is going to get you outmuscled by just about everyone. Plus after all the injuries this year I've been ordered by one of my friends to start weights if for no other reason than to get some muscle to protect myself. That's the easy goal :p

The tougher one is I'm hoping by the end of the year to have had my first semi-pro fight which I think could be possible if I train like I used to before I got hurt.

Actually, that can be another one. As soon as my foot heals properly I want to go back to training a couple times a day minimum like I was before. Made big improvements then and was generally a much happier person.

Non-training goal is just to get my credit card back under control after christmas.

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Goto sleep earlier
    Wake up earlier

1 tech free night
    1 tech free day

Read more books

Goto more events

Judo competition
    Stay within/below 63kg

1x bw bench press
    More pullups
    Some one arm pushups
    Handstand rolls
    Some running

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I like your sleep one, I should have included that on mine too, as it's a major failing in my training routine.

I'll also add a tech related one - move around more during the day (mainly to help with my back issues), so I don't stay sat in front of a computer for long periods.

5. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Training remains the same, keep going every day.
    Life changes - seeking to retire early and want to take some further steps towards financial independence. Would like to Reduce home related annual expenses by $2000 and tax by $7000. Create a new passive income stream.

Volunteer more and drink less.

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I like this one! I just wish I had any ideas!

I think mine are staying the same as last year: get my gym going and karate going into a proper routine rather than the patchy state they're currently in.

7. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Don't get killed in Africa, either start my PhD or remain undeterred and apply to more programs. Compete more in bjj. It's been too long since I've competed. Buy new pants.

8. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I've just started building a blog that talks about how to get control of your finances and retire early, but right now its at whacky - too many thoughts, not enough structure stage. Once it starts forming together better then perhaps I can make a little income from it, frankly the day I get $1 through from advertising I'll be happy and that will be a big achievement.

Royalties from a book or music are excellent, but like you I can't come up with the right ideas at the moment, so I am going for investment property and other traditional and non traditional investments such as CDs and P2P lending.

9. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Getting back on track with my training (back injury) so I will concentrate on my core. Learning more leadership skills and self improvement. Doubling my student enrollment at the dojang. Organizing better, and improving my other business. Improving my diet to maximize my workouts.

10. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Fitness-wise: continuing to improve in my recently started weight training program as well as continuing with my bodyweight training, loads of running, cycling and swimming.

MA training: going to more rodas (PhD program has put a slight cramp in that), getting some sparring partners and really ironing out certain aspects of my own game.

Life: travelling to see relatives, passing the comprehensive exams, getting funding for my dissertation research.

11. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

- Get 100% on at least one test in every one of my subjects next semester. I've only been able to nail 90-95% this semester.
    - Bench 185lbs.
    - Squat 235lbs.
    - Deadlift 285lbs.
    - Press 135lbs.
    - Do three rounds x three minutes of sparring/pad work without dying.

12. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not big on new years resolutions. I am starting school back up, and will be trying to make some moves in some other areas of my life as well as starting to compete in boxing. I could tack those as my "resolutions" but those have been months in the works.

I think my New Years Resolution will be making sure I post some useless thing about how my day went on Facebook, every 2 hours.

14. hardball

hardball Valued Member

My Martial Arts goals are to retain my current private students and maybe add a couple of new beginner students this year.

Stay in shape by weight trainning, kettlebells, stretching, kata and walking. ( I am 55)

Spar with my senior students this summer.

Add a few new pieces of gear to my dojo this year.

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I've done the exact opposite and yesterday closed my FB, Twitter and Linkdin accounts.

I'm still teaching a private group but getting back into training has proved difficult and for various reasons my family needs me at home, so any martial training other than my own class will be on the back burner for a while.

Yesterday I bought some weights and a weight bench. So in 2013 that's where my focus will be. I have a wrist, elbow and shoulder injury so will have to train smart.

I've got weak from sitting behind a desk for years, so I look forward to getting strong again.

The only thing I need to buy is a squat stand/rack, but other than that I'm good to go.

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I will be rehabbing my years of injuries PROPERLY as my biggest step

After that more training etc...

Buit the other big commitment is to finally finish my article AND my book. Time permitting I was looking at a DVD too, but have put that project on the back burner

17. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know how big those things are over where you're at but I do know you run your own programs for self-defense. Were those accounts personal or set up as a page for your classes? A lot of businesses use them to network and get the word out about themselves here in the states. Not saying you should do that and feel free to tell me to mind my own business but I am interested to know if you were doing that and if you had any success with it? I guess my answer to that if you were doing that to promote your teaching is obvious with the "I closed them down" though : P.

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The Linkdin account was pretty much work related, but as a part of a large company there are those who make better use of it than me. In my position I don't really get much of a benefit.
    The Twitter and FB accounts were both personal. I just need to spend time focusing on things far more important than social networking sites (apart from MAP of course).

19. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I think I'll put my ideas here so I can kick myself next December.

Plans, goals and challenges for 2013.

Training goals:

Need to work on my dodgy ankle a little more. If that works out, start running again.
    Get back grapplin'...BJJ...or judo (I love throws) if the beginners course days change, they clash with escrima at the moment.
    Be a little more consistent with my training in the house.
    Sort out some equipment for training FMA at home.
    Get down to about 84 kgs. I'm about 88 now, so not hard, but will need a bit of a push.

Non-training goals:

Read 52 books. This year I focused on speculative fiction, 2013 I can read what I want.
    Learn a little more about FMA and Capoeira. Not techniques, but the philosophies, culture, history of the arts etc.
    Save some money and then figure out how to invest it.

Oh! And maybe buy The Blade a little sister!! :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  20. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

1024x768

:evil: