Organ Donor

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Simon, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Are you an organ donor?

This is now a really simple process, one that you can do online.

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ukt/

Do you have similar in your country? Maybe your religion forbids it and maybe you know someone who has had a transplant.

I've just added my name to the register.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm an organ donor, but I'm passive aggressive about it - I'm only donating a liver or kidneys, and those are pretty shot at this point.

Here's a comparable site for folks on the other side of the pond: http://www.organdonor.gov/index.html

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  3. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Yeah, there is a similar process in my country (Greece) and also from this year and onwards if a university student is an organ donor it's also written in his/her academic ID. That was a chance to seriously consider this matter and choose to become one.

Personally, when I was making my ID, I couldn't bring myself to become one. I mean for some reason I found it too bleak!!
    I would like to have my organs used to save someone else if I suddenly die one day and that's what I have instructed my close ones to do with me in that case, but getting it written in my ID or registering in the respective catalogue was something I couldn't do.:confused:

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I registered me and the missus a couple of years ago (I might even tell her one day!) and carried a donor card for years before that.
    Why more people don't do it is beyond me.

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I've carried a card for 20+ years, but only sporadically updated my details. I've used the link in Simon's post to make sure everything is up to date now :)

Mitch

6. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

I'm not allowed. Nor can I give blood.

7. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Medical or religious?

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Have been for a few months now if only because I saw you get a pretty blue card. I would much rather we had an opt out system and you were automatically registered at birth.

Other than Philosoraptor has anyone specified things they don't want to donate? I paused for a second over my eyes because that felt kinda weird but then remembered I wouldn't need them. Saves them being burned out in hell anyway.

edit: Its not a transplant story, but my mum is having her organs donated to science to help study this disease she has. That's a helpful thing to do too if you don't like the idea of being used for translplants. I assume clean organs and tissue are in demand for things like cancer research?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  9. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Yes, I'm an organ donor. Although I can't donate blood for medical reasons due to a blood transfusion I had after I almost died in a head on collision a year and a half ago.

10. Simon

I did think twice when I read the option for eyes, skin etc, but they are of no use to me when I'm gone, whereas if they can offer a life to someone else it seems obvious to agree to all options.

11. CrowZer0

I'm guessing no open casket then when you are gone?

I thought about those options mainly for those reasons.

I want them to remember me as a hero!

Not a skinless eyeless horror movie creature.

12. Simon

13. CrowZer0

Yo you don't have to tell me about the importance of transplants. It's a big thing in my family. My grandad (mums side) died when my mum was 4. He had one kidney, and something was wrong with this kidney (not sure what) and he needed a transplant asap. He has 5 brothers, no one would give him a kidney (or so I've been told why there is such a feud now), he died.

I understand the importance of transplants.

14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I started carrying a card when I was 18, at least in part because I was riding motorcycles a lot. I knew I was statistically more likely to get squashed so figured I'd better make sure someone benefited from it.

I was a regular blood donor too, though I seem to have lost that habit. I must re-establish that.

MItch

15. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Its another reason to add to why I want a viking funeral

16. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Medical.

17. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I was joking - they are free to any bits that are useful to someone else.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I tell you though...I've been registered as a doner for a few years and they've NEVER asked for my organs. It's almost like they don't want them or something!?! Ungrateful so and so's. :)

19. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Yes. Here's a pretty good explanation of why and why I think it should be mandatory.

[​IMG]

20. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Not on it yet but shall be shortly.

I think it's amazing and generous of Si and Mitch to donate their hair whilst they are still breathing though. Kudos. :D