Self Protection Books

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Judderman, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

I'm not saying that reading books is going to make you street savvy. However I believe you can glean information that will enhance your training.

In light of this what books and other literature, would you recommend and why?

Budo.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2004
  2. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

Geoff Thompson

He makes a lot of sense.

3. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

I would agree Reiki. Which Titles did you find most useful and why?

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker ..... will help you to learn how to listen to yourself, how to interpret warning signs from dangerous people, and how to predict behavior. Its a must read for all women especially.
    another....
    Beauty Bites Beast: Awakening the Warrior Within Women and Girls
    by Gavin De Becker, J. Stevens, Ellen B. Snortland

Dead Or Alive: The Choice Is Yours/The Definitive Self-Protection Handbook
    by Geoff Thompson .... more awareness techniques, useful tips on tactics, deception, target areas, improvised weapons and a lot more.

Also
    "Fighter's Fact Book" by Loren Christensen and "Common Sense Self-Defense" by David Garcia and Steward Smith.

5. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

The Fence & Dead or Alive.

They really made me look at what I did and why. I had been aware of the normal state of many ppl but hadnt really thought about it until then.
    Perhaps I was naturally in a code yellow all the time due to our training.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

In addition t anything by Geoff I also highly recommend "Streetwise" by Peter Consterdine

7. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Self-Protection Books

Jamie O'Keefe
    has done some decent ones, written in a raw and honest way, they impart alot of hard-fought knowledge with a common touch.

Some Reviews of some of his books are here:

http://www.martialartsadvice.com/cat.php?cat=4

8. guran

guran Valued Member

I second this recommendation. Great book, well written.

9. Xerxes

Xerxes New Member

A Bouncer's Guide to Barroom Brawling
    by Peyton Quinn

PUT'EM DOWN, TAKE'EM OUT: knife fighting techniques from Folsom Prison
    by Don Pentacost

10. shootodog

shootodog restless native

try getting some stuff by richard dimitri www.senshido.com or from mark hatmaker extreme self protection or maybe even from my idol, tony cecchinecatch as catch can. these guys will give you ideas of how to go about what you have to do.

i must however add that these should only suppliment and not replace training in a dojo/ school.

11. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Geoff Thompson's "Dead or Alive" was the first book that got me thinking. I was involved in an incident at work that really opened my eyes. After to speaking to a good friend, Dave, he introduced me to this other way of approaching fighting.

The Fence is quite amazing, but I would also recommend The art of fighting without fighting by Geoff. As for the rest of his books I would say they are a good source if you are unsure of what techniques to use.

Another reasonable title I recently read was "the self defence manual" by Martin Dougherty and David Birdsall. Although not introducing anything new, for me there was much more emphasis on self protection than defence, providing quite a balanced view of the subject. Very good for all ages and abilities.

Other titles/authors that I have found useful:
    Verbal Judo ~ George Thompson: Learning how language affects situations
    Aggression ~ Leonard Berkowitz: a psychological insight into aggression
    Various titles Desmond Morris: provides insight into the human animal based on the study of other animal behaviours.

12. Xerxes

Xerxes New Member

I approach the topic of self-defense from a "big picture" standpoint. The totality of self-defense concerns much more than just the physical altercation. I think that one should delve into overall self-defense theory. A person should develop an SD strategy based on their lifestyle and habits. Towards that end, I recommend the books of Marc MacYoung. You should start with the following three and read them in this order:

1. Cheap Shots, Ambushes, and Other Lessons: A Down and Dirty Book on Streetfighting and Survival

2. Violence, Blunders, and Fractured Jaws: Advanced Awareness Techniques and Street Etiquette

3. Street E & E: Evading, Escaping, and Other Ways to Save Your Ass When Things Get Ugly

He has several other books. They are all worth reading. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says in every book but all of his books will have value for the average person.

13. Xerxes

Xerxes New Member

There is another MacYoung book I should have added as the fourth in that list:

Safe in the City: A Streetwise Guide to Avoid Being Robbed, Raped, Ripped Off, or Run Over

14. Stuart Rider

Stuart Rider Valued Member

Some excellent recommendations that i really agree with;
    Geoff Thompson, Jamie O'Keefe, Richard Dimitri, Peter Consterdine, Peyton Quinn all top class in this field.
    Also try to get books and videos by Kevin O'Hagan. an excellent combat ju jitsu man but really understands self protection as well.