MMA Judging Criteria.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Brutal, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Brutal

Brutal Banned Banned

--The Association of Boxing Commissioners is having its annual meetings currently in Clearwater, FL. The biggest thing: they have had meetings to agree on minor changes in the judging criteria of MMA fights.

Here were the following changes:

1) Effective defense has been removed as a criteria. Only offensive moves are to be used in scoring fights. This should end any debate or talks when people ask if defending a takedown should be scored as a positive, or blocking a submission, or avoiding strikes. The new ruling is that effective defense only helps you in that it keeps you alive to do offense, but only offensive moves are the ones to be scored.

2) Striking and grappling are of equal weight. Before, the old criteria listed striking first and grappling second. Now they are equal with the idea that they are weighed based on how much of the fight is standing and on the ground.

3) The term 'damage' as a criteria has been replaced by the term effective damage.

4) Heavier strikes with impact should get more weight that just the number of strikes landed, most notably strikes that cause an opponent to obviously react, stagger, cut or bruiser, be in pain, as well as cumulative impact of strikes.

5) Grappling moves scored are takedowns, reversals and submissions, passing to dominant positions, use of active and threatening moves from the bottom, close submissions can't more than just attempted submissions and submissions that lead to people being tired are also weighed significantly.

6) Effective aggression is moving forward scoring with legal techniques, as well as attacking with strikes or submissions on the ground from either the top or bottom position.

7) Cage and ring control is dictating the pace, place and position

8) The current scoring system (ten point must) remains in place

2. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Thanks for that man. I like that defence will not be scored. Should make things easier to judge.

4. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

Are takedowns not scored too heavily already? Now they're gonna score higher?

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well that's amended by the new rule stating that grappling shall be treated equally to striking.

6. Knoxy

Knoxy Undisputed and Undefeated

Y'know I don't really think take downs are scored that highly; it's more of time spent in top control that wins rounds. At 144 Edgar attempted many takedowns (5 of 12 were successful) but he couldn't really hold Henderson down so they didn't matter much on the judges score cards. At the same event Akiyama vs Shields was similar.

I think a better way of saying it is that top control is scored to highly, the takedown itself only enables it.

On the other hand there is the old 'Steal the round takedown' strategy; which I don't generally approve on. Which I think should not be viable.

Ofcourse I think slams, suplex's, and high amplitude throws should all be scored highly. I don't think anyone would think that they aren't entertaining.

7. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

That certainly makes more sense. . Chadderz, first post states grappling was previously second to striking, now its equal so would score more. . Beware the lay'n'pray!