Most controversial films

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by vampyregirl, May 7, 2012.

1. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

I Spit On Your Grave, the original version, is certainly one.
    Last Temptation of Christ is another.
    Death Wish was controversial back in the day.
    Cannibal Holacaust was banned in 47 countries.

Can anyone name some more?

2. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

3. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Serbian? I thought that was an Italian film.

4. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Caligula (with Peter O'Toole) must have been controversial to. i don't recomend it unless you like to torture yourself.

5. CrowZer0

No, click the IMDB link the movie is named "A Serbian Film" Sodom is Italian.

6. CrowZer0

Lol Caligua wasn't torture.

7. CrowZer0

To be honest most of the movies that came out in the 70s/80s and were banned would most likely laughable in this day and age, take for example as you mentioned Canibal Holocaust (how people believed that was real) back in those days I guess it was quite convincing, Exorcist was also banned here. Look at recent movies like the Greek Dogtooth (one of the weirdest movies I have ever seen), Irreversible (starring Monica Belluci) and a couple of other famous faces where the movie goes down a werid backward path following her being raped by a gay man, a Serbian film I believe is banned in MANY countries, and most countries will only allow the "cut version" I was unfortunate enough to step into the prince charles cinema and catch a copy of the uncut version. It was an extremely weird experience having people gasp in shock and walk out of the cinema like that. The people looked traumatised after the movie.

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Wasn't Cannibal Holocaust banned for cruelty to animals, rather than because it was particularly disturbing? There was some controversy over whether they'd killed a turtle or something for movie.

9. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Yeah i remember the turtle part. there is also graphic depictions of human torture and cannibalism which are disturbing.
    Last Temptation of Christ was a controversial film because some considered it sacreligous. Its not that its disturbing.

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Clockwork orange - personally i find alex to be hilariously.
    Irreversible - i dont even want to know.

11. CrowZer0

From what I recall, the director of the movie was in court and had to present the actors in the movie to prove they aren't really dead.

12. CrowZer0

Irreversible is a very good movie. Starring Moniica Belluci, Vincent Cassel and Albert Dupontel all very famous french and Italian actors respectively, it's a revenge movie. Like Oldboy or Lady Vengeance. A Serbian Film is the shocking one. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290673/ -> Irreversible

13. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Somebody told me i Spit On Your Grave was based a true story, at least loosely. That many years ago, in upstate New York, several men accused of raping a woman mysteriously disappeared. i've never bothered to research that claim.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  14. CrowZer0

Cannibal Holocaust "The film caused some scandal in Italy at the time of its release. Ten days after premiering in Milan, the film was seized by the courts, and the director, Ruggero Deodato, was arrested and charged with obscenity. He was later charged with murder and faced life in prison on the belief that several of the actors were murdered for the camera. Deodato contacted Luca Barbareschi and told him to contact the three other actors who played the missing film team. He presented the actors, alive and well, to the courts, and thus, the murder charges were dropped. The film remained banned in Italy for another three years."

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078935/trivia

15. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Monty Python's Life of Brian.

An excellent, thought provoking film. Banned in a number of countries on release.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjz16xjeBAA"]He's Not The Messiah - YouTube[/ame]

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

'Scum' caused a bit of a fuss, and was banned in this country. It's a good film, but pretty harrowing.

'If' was another one that got banned. Not seen that one though.

17. CrowZer0

I've seen Scum when I was around 11, sure made me not want to go to borstal. I remember that's how my step dad would make sure I stopped getting in trouble "if you don't stop you will end up in Borstal".

I think Scum was a heavy influence to a lot of prison movies and dramas, Oz comes to mind.

18. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Your're right. If watching 'Scum' doesn't make borstal seem like a place to be avoided at all costs then nothing will.

If I'd seen it when I was eleven then I think it would have given me nightmares!

19. CrowZer0

Oh most of the movies mentioned on this thread I had seen by the time I was 13 or 14. (The ones that were out). Scum didn't give me any nightmares, Candy Man when I was 6 or 7 on the other hand... My family had this policy where they don't believe in "ratings" or hiding kids from the harsh reality of the world. Mostly I think my uncles were just trolls... They thought it was funny when I would get scared of Candy Man or other movies, they always explained a movie to me, for example Candy Man is fake, a guy with a hook will not rip through the roof with a hook if you say his name 3 times. I think they made sure I stop crying and I wouldn't get any desert until I said it 3 times.

Edit: Say Candyman 3 times, in the movie he would come and kill people if you said his name 3 times, also reminds me, I had vivid memories of movies like Carrie and Children of the Corn, I didn't know what they were until YEARS later when I watched them, and I thought wait a sec I've seen this already!

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  20. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Was it because of the homosexual rape scene?