Kung fu master arrested

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Allers, May 4, 2012.

1. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

Hahahaha... I saw this online and thought it was pretty funny. What is happening to our fellow masters nowadays?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaL_r_7zuUg&feature=related"]kung fu master vs cops - YouTube[/ame]

On a more serious note, why did the police officers originally spray him? He was not doing any harm, not being aggressive... do you think there was something occurring before the camera was turned on?

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Honestly? I thought the officers showed a great deal of restraint and forbearance and gave the gentleman every opportunity to go quietly.

We don't see the build up, but they were presumably called to the bar for a reason.

I'm predisposed to question police actions, and there are plenty of reasons why which we all see in the media. But I'm also pretty sure that the number of everyday events where officers act with restraint and integrity far outweigh them. From personal experience I've seen one terrible decision and two or three fantastic examples of policing, for what that's worth.

Mitch

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm gonna' do an internet! . . . . . . . . . . . *click* WHOOOOAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Die Potato!

4. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

Really? Hmm, something must have happened before, I mean, the guy didnt seem to do anything wrong until the end, where he would have obviously been angered after being sprayed for 5 minutes. Maybe he was drunk, but it was a pub, not exactly out of the ordinary. Just seemed weirdly excessive to temporarily blind someone for practicing drunken Kung Fu. :D

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

The policeman closest to the camera saw him move suddenly towards the glass on the table and thought he was going to throw it at them, would be my guess. (i.e. at 55 seconds)

6. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

Yeah, I thought that might be why, he did ask him to put the glass down after that and he didn't respond. He probably should have done as he was told, but it seems kind of pointless to mace a drunkard in the face like 10 times...

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Spray is relativley low level on some UoF scales (depends on the dept of course) and can be seen as an uncomfortable yet safe way to stop someone escalating.

The original call to the bar was probably a "drunk moron causing a disturbance" - his activity prior to Police attendance was probably less "silly". At the end of the day you are told to leave and you MUST leave - end of discussion. If you do not you will be removed and sometimes the safest way to do that is use a spray to put them into a more compliant state

That said, I rarely spray drunks because it can have no effect against heavy intoxication and then you have to wrestle a guy covered in pepper spray - not fun!

8. Mitch

I agree with you to some extent, but I think we're only seeing clips.

The cops walk in and ask for ID etc, the guy ignores them and does "kung fu." They ask him a few more things, he walks out into open space and then gets his glass (space to fight and weapon).

I assume there is some time cut in there, I may be wrong, but he's ignored requests and moved to a more threatening position. The two cops know backup is a long time off from their radio.

So yes, if there is no cutting they go to mace quite quickly, but at the same time the guy does all the right tings to make them go there.

I'd like to see Hannibal and Kuma's thoughts on this.

Mitch

9. Hannibal

see above!

He was a clear threat just from demeanour - there was no way he was going to comply and it was a question of when not if he kicked off.

His body language was ignoring the officer presence,. he was oblivious (or dismissive) of commands and requests and was (drunkenly) trying to intimidate with Carl Douglas Kung Fu moves.

He kept focusing on his beer, largely to show dominance (ignoring commands) but also as a readily deployable weapon. He was in a booth which is highly defensible making an extraction difficult.

Plus he was drunk - and drunks are very, very unpredictable.

10. Mitch

Do you see his move to more open ground and going back to retrieve his glass as more hostile than if he had stayed put?

Mitch

11. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

The way he comes charging out at 2:46 is priceless.

12. Hannibal

Yes

Staying put is defiance (passive/aggressive) and although teh glass is conceivably a threat it best represents a barrier. His focus on the beer shows how little regard he has for the directions he is given. This is actually pre-assault behaviour in certain circumstances (especially when you use 4D's in your analysis)

When he moves to open ground there is an inherent threat. He is increasing the response options available to him and is effectively issuing an unspoken challenged to "come take me". This is different than remaining in the booth (which is more along the "we shall not be moved" protestor scale)

By taking it to open ground and not making an attempt to leave or comply he is drawing a line in the sand. His body language underlines that and he seems to genuinely believe he can make the cops drop their "bottle" and back down. I have seen situations like this - typically with rookies in training - last a long, long time. He is not quite at the point where he needs squashing in his direct behaviour, but his unspoken conduct is "come on then, try it"

This is tricky to see unless you have a lot of experience of it

13. Mitch

I don't, other than hanging round in some pretty rough places when I was younger, but my thoughts chime with yours. He moves to escalate, to draw a line in the sand and invite conflict.

Mitch

14. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

he shoulda stopped and said, "whaddyu want" that would've been way more kung fu

15. niftyniffler

niftyniffler Valued Member

I think he had watched Jackie Chan in Drunken Master just before and wanted to give it a spin.

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

It takes about 15 seconds to see how this is going to end for the big fella. Non compliance from the word go. How anyone can not see what that's going to lead to is beyond me. The guy has his hands all over the place - refuses to follows commands from officers - appears intoxicated or high... what more do you want as reasonable suspicion that he may become violent? :rolleyes:

17. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Ah so this is drunken kung fu.