Conversion?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by RhadeConstantin, May 4, 2012.

1. RhadeConstantin

RhadeConstantin King of Badasses

So I've been curious for a while. Has anyone here converted from one particular religion to another, or gone from being a theist to an atheist or vice versa? recently I've been rather interested in what exactly brings this change about because religion is one thing people tend to be pretty firm on.So, anyone here with stories of changed opinion to share and discuss?

2. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

I never attended church as a kid because my mom was driven away from organized religion by all the interdemonational fighting and all. I always believed in God but never attended any church.
    Then one day two LDS on a mission showed up at my apartment. My sink was clogged, so i asked them to help me fix it. They did. Then they shared their beliefs. At first i thought it sounded crazy. But i started reading the Book of Mormon they gave me. I found it interesting. I started doing some online research into Book of Mormon evidence. After a while i called them and asked them to come back. They answered my questions and i became more interested.
    Anyway i read the Moroni passage they suggested and learned the truth. The CHurch of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the true church.
    I'm making a long story short. I could go into more detail.

3. RhadeConstantin

What exactly in the Moroni passage convinced you?

4. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Behold, I would exhort you that when that ye shall shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye will remember how merciful the Lord has been to the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down unto the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your heart.
    And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God our Eternal Father in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
    And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye shall know the truth of all things.

Moroni: 10 3-5

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Well that's a slam-dunk.

I was raised Christian (Sunday school and all that), didn't think too much about any of it through my 20's and then became firmly atheist (bordering on anti-theist) in my 30's when I realised all religions are basically nonsense and have the same amount of evidence for them (ie...none).

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Likewise.

7. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I was raised Christian, baptized, attended church most Sundays, and graduating Bible School. When I was twelve, I was exposed to a conversation between my older brother and his friends discussing many of the historical inaccuracies of the Bible, which made perfect logical sense to me, and I began to question everything I was taught. I was already disgusted by the hypocrisy of the devout older "church ladies" who seemed to only attend church to gossip. I stopped believing in God and eventually became anti-religious for many years. I seriously questioned authority on many topics in high school and college. Then, in my late 20s I was exposed to some really compassionate charitable Catholic organizations which forced me to reevaluate the amount of good such organized religion was capable of. About a year ago I dated a really sweet Catholic nursing student who cared deeply about other people. I am still agnostic, but after being exposed to so many genuinely good religious people I am no longer anti-religious.

8. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

went from atheist to agnostic when I accepted the possibility that life aka aliens might exist on other planets on other galaxies and i thought that was nuts that i could accept that possibility but not spirits or a god or angels. So i changed agnostic. (and got put down for it mind you by christians who instead of praising me for at least being openminded, said how i must have such a hard life cause i didnt believe and that they pitied me.)

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You can be anti-religion without being anti-religious people. That's how I'd define myself. I'd say that's about the only stance you can logically hold about catholicism for example.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The existance of alien life is FAR more likely than any of the mutlitude of gods humans have invented.
    Chalk and cheese really.

11. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

I'm extremely anti organized religion. But not anti religious people either unless they are extremists. I hate extremists.

and no body can prove there is, or there isnt, spirits other than the ones you drink :p or gods and stuff. so i am agnostic until or unless someone can prove somethin.

12. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

The problem with that logic is that, to follow it to its conclusion, it means that you believe everything that hasn't been actively proven to be false. Does that mean that I could tell you anything, no matter how silly, and you'd believe it until there was enough evidence I was wrong? Why put the burden of proof on the disbeliever rather than where it usually sits, on the person making the claim?

I guess the other point on the issue of proof is that it raises this question: how is a god that exists but has no measurable effect on reality different from a god that doesn't exist? If god, by definition, can't be proven to exist, doesn't he effectively not exist?

For example, if I said "There's a man standing next to me. He's weightless, silent, invisible and does not interact with the world in any way", how, by any definition of existance, could we say he exists?

13. RhadeConstantin

Moosey raises a good point Blade96. I'm not attacking you or your position, I think you're awesome, but doesn't agnosticism as a position in general imply an open and blind semi acceptance of literally anything a person can imagine?

Could you elaborate further on what exactly about this convinced you vampyrgirl?

14. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

The truth was revealed to me. By the power of the Holy Ghost. What more can i tell you?

15. RhadeConstantin

How exactly did the Holy Ghost reveal the truth to you? and why not everyone? why just you?

16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Coupled with that, why would you think a book dug out of the ground, all covered in mud and worm slime, with no connection to any people group anywhere on the planet, and then lost rather than held onto for posterity, was the word of almighty God??!!??

17. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Just me? Not hardly. Read what it says about asking with a sincere with faith in Christ.

18. RhadeConstantin

But,
    But,
    But,
    you formerly claimed, that a particular passage convinced you.
    Now you say it'l only convince you if you read with a sincere faith.
    So basically for this particular paragraph to convince me to have faith in Christ, I need to read it with faith in Christ.Amazing.

you know, I recently found this book that amazingly asserts that I am a god. All you need to do is read it with full faith that I am a god, and you shall be convinced I am a god.

It's called circular reasoning and its VERY, VERY, bad.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  19. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

vampyregirl, could you do me the favor of giving that passage in your own words. Its tough to grasp and I'd like to hear it from your point of view. In common english vocabulary, I mean.

@rhadeConstantin: You can't argue blind faith. I'm athiest, so in my opinion blind faith is pretty bad and an impossible concept to grasp. However, some people feel the opposite and feel very strongly in the idea of having blind faith.

Its called blind faith for a reason. Whether than means no ones foolish words can sway you from the truth brought down by the true god at one extreme, or that your hardheaded ignorance of opposing arguments cannot be pierced by logic at the other, then so be it. Its all a matter of perspective.

Self-doubt can be a paralyzing condition, and many people don't want to get involved with that.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  20. righty

righty Valued Member

I would say I'm agnostic. I say this in a way that means I accept that there may be some sort of higher power out there. But I'm just waiting until someone gives me enough evidence to prove it before I believe it.

Technically speaking Catholic Church still lays claim to me since trying to have me drowned as a helpless behbeh.